Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • MTB Chris King BB ?
  • Tony.w
    Free Member

I have a question that I hope somone can answer, I am making use of my 753 reynolds frame and building a single speed/fixed for the road. I bought a brand new Chris King MTB bottom bracket for my MTB but never used it so I was wondering if it could be used on my 753 road frame.
    Anyone got the anawer – not sure I want to just try in in case it damages the threads 🙁

geetee1972
    Free Member

A 753 single speed fixie eh? Lordy that’s a bit posh and a bit esoteric. Fair play.

I’ve always thought that road and mountain bike BBs were the same, for shimano cranks at least. But CK do differentiate between road and mtb BBs. I don’t know if that’s just for sealing or some other purpose through. I know I couldn’t use my CK BB from my MTB on my road bike but I think that was because I went to SRAM cranks on the road bike.

If it turns out you can’t use it and its black then I would be interested in buying the unused BB off you.

RustyMac

Depends on the threads on the frame. Road bikes can come with English or Italian threaded BB’s mountain bike BB’s are all English threaded. You will probably need a new centre tube as the mountain bike one will be to long.

Tony.w
    Free Member

geetree yeh posh lol its my old raceing bike from old thts been sat in the loft gathering dust I just wanted to get it out and in use again and kit it out with a nice brooks seat and Royce hubs oh the joy of mind wondering. Rusty mac its English thread I think the CK centre tube is made to adjust to shell widths. Maybe try it very gently oh and its Pewter 😡
    Thanks for you input chaps

teasel
    Free Member

I have both types in front of me – with the o rings in the same slots the centre tube is longer on a road version. By eye, about 2mm.

LeeW

The outboard part of the cups is a little wider on the road version, basically the crank arms would be a little further apart if using the road version over the mtb version. I did measure the difference a year or so ago but can’t remember the difference.

teasel
    Free Member

Probably about a mill.

But you’re correct, didn’t spot that. With a Vernier – road 11.44 MTB 10.58.

Tubes are identical – sorry for the misinformation.

teasel
    Free Member

The sharp-eyed will notice I managed to get two man words in that post…

Tony.w
    Free Member

So without sounding to blonde theoretically I should be ok – the crankset I want to use is a Middleburn RS8 where the length in adjustable and not governed by spacers.
    Thanks for your input chaps

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I have an MTB BB on my road bike ( didnt realise there was an actual difference until i fitted it) and use a single spacer ring on the non drive side and works fine, no issues.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘MTB Chris King BB ?’ is closed to new replies.