Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • MS Word 2010 – Updating captions and cross-references
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

Got a document with a bunch of figures, tables etc. Each one has a caption created using the “Insert Caption” tool in References. I’ve also used the “Cross-reference” tool to mention the figures and tables within the text, eg “see Figure 4-5 for an example of this”.

The numbering of the captions is all messed up. From what I’ve seen, the cross referencing all links to the correct figures/tables, but the numbering is not in order. eg it goes 3-1, 3-3, 3-2 etc etc.

Ctrl A + F9 does not fix it, nor does closing and reopening the document (which apparently updates everything).

I understand that for captions inside a text box (ie almost all of them) they need manually updating, but that doesn’t seem to work anyway.

Any tips?

Ta! Duane.

euain

Try putting it in outline mode, then select all, update.

StirlingCrispin

Try printing it (as a pdf to save paper)

That should force all the fields to update.

Duane…
    Free Member

Nope 🙁

Duane…
    Free Member

(to both)

StirlingCrispin
    Duane…
    Free Member

‘Fraid not, think that’s for Word 97! Case 2 sounds like what’s happening to me though.

r32paul
    Free Member

Select all ( the whole document).

Go to the index, right click, update all fields. This will force the whole document including references to update.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

genuinely read the thread title as “Miss World 2010 – Updating captions and cross-references”… the OP didn’t make a lot of sense thereafter 😳

StirlingCrispin

For Word 2010 the help is here:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/word-help/troubleshoot-captions-HP005189363.aspx

My guess is that you are going to have to reformat the document so the offending captions are in the body of the document and the pictures are formatted as ‘in-line with text’. The Caption numbering will then look after itself.

Good luck!

aP
    Free Member

Right click and update all fields.
    I had a colleague deliberately take out all the auto numbered captions and cross-references from a 60,000 word report that I’d put together because he didn’t understand them.

Duane…
    Free Member

SC – looks like that’s what I need to, link the figure captions (slave) to the caption in the text (master), not vice versa as I currently have.

Any ideas how to do that..? (That link doesn’t explain how to)

Thanks!

StirlingCrispin

Duane – I would copy the figures out of the text box and into the main text (each figure in a 1×1 table if that helps formatting).
    And fingers crossed that you don’t break the cross-references in the main text.

If you wish to email me the document (email in profile) I’ll have a look at it for you – no guarantees though!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘MS Word 2010 – Updating captions and cross-references’ is closed to new replies.