Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • M&S insurance WTF?
  • JohnClimber
    Free Member

After a massive jump on our home insurance we changed companies after a dozen years and no claims with them.

Just had the pet insurance policy come in and after 6 year and no claims it’s gone up by over 21%.

Anyone else noticed massive insurance jumps this year for regular, reliable and non claiming customers?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

No. Just re-insured with M&S. £60 up after declaring a 3.5K bike.

mildred

Our pet insurance more than doubled without any claims in 5 years with M&S. We swapped to More Than via Topcashback and halved our original quote and got a £50 cash back.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Afraid it seems normal practice for insurance companies to quotehigh for sauto insurance renewal these days. My renewal for house and contents was 30% more. 15 minutes on the phone and the quote was less than what I paid last year.

jonba
    Free Member

Calculations may have changes due to new data. You’ve probably jumped up a few risk groups.

M and s renewals were always more expensive than first time quotes. But since you lose the bike cover if you don’t renew I’ve paid the extra for the last few years as it was cheaper.

If it drops down below 2k then I may be forced elsewhere.

nickjb
    Free Member

Jolly G has it. The auto renewal price is always high. They make a lot of money from laziness. Ring around, get a few quotes, call them back. Its annoying but its the system

scaredypants

do you “specify” the pets on there ?
    Maybe your dog or whatever is officially old now

AlexSimon

I’ve just been through getting all sorts of quotes after the change from M&S.
    After declaring my bikes they want £650

American Express (recommended on here) had similar cover for £380
    It’s a bit more hassle because you have to declare lots and lots of things, but that’s a pretty big saving.
    Only problem is M&S used to do 0% finance, whereas AMEX is some silly 30% or something so the monthly amounts are only about £10 cheaper. Tempted to try and pay it one chunk.

Most of the other recommendations (AA NFU) had limits that prevented me being able to use them. £3000 total outbuildings for AA for e.g.

One thing that I didn’t know:
    They all seemed to think that a bike visible inside a locked car wouldn’t be covered, in the same way an iPhone left on the dashboard wouldn’t be covered. I’ll have to start locking the bikes to some immovable part of the car inside for them to be covered.

footflaps

Insurance is the possibly the worst business for penalising customer loyalty, they know most people just renew, so load up renewals as high as they think they can get away with. Our M&S House insurance renewal went up from £150 to £400 (no material change), went with Coop for about £100.

DezB
    Free Member

Weird this indsurance lark. I’ve been paying about £170 a year, presuming this was high to cover my bike as a specified item.
    Just moved, declared 4 bikes a grand upwards as specified items (+insured away from home) on confused.com (other comparison sites are available) and got it for under £90!
    (Hastingsdirect btw)

AlexSimon

Contents AND buildings DezB?

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

M&S no longer include for bikes over £2k as standard, even on existing policies.

Our renewal went up anyway and then with bikes on top we were looking at another £160 on last year.

Time to spend 3 hours on the phone shopping around. 😐

DezB
    Free Member

Contents AND buildings DezB?

No, that’s just contents

patriotpro
    Free Member

they know most people just renew

Do they…Do they really? Everyone I know will switch if they try it on with the renewal quote.

I don’t think I’ve had the same insurer in the 5 n a bit years of being a home-owner.

Carbone
    Free Member

We’ve been with M&S for 5 years or so , always been superb (sadly had to use them too), but this years renewal went from approx £360 up to £750 once Id specified 4 bikes which by the way I did last year , after 3 phone calls about it and their “change of policy” we’ve moved to ESURE and are back at the £350 mark again.

boblo
    Free Member

Heard on the radio AXA (M&S underwriters) were pulling out of Pet Insurance. Might explain their renewal behaviour.

DezB
    Free Member

£350

Blimey!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ah ok. Contents only. Thatll be why its cheap 😉 let me guess – no bikes or no bikes over 2000at least ?

Mines is well over 500a year atm. Seriously tempted to self insure the bikes. Can get buildings and contents cheap enough. Im more worried about my tools going awol than the bikes- they would be easier to fence than most of my bikes :/

DezB
    Free Member

Buildings is only about £40 iirc. (Will look it up in a mo).

As said 4 bikes as specified items: £1000, £1500, £1500 & £2500

([edit] yeah £4 a month for buildings)

superfli
    Free Member

Yup, same as OP.
    My renewal came through the other day – £800! Thats up £200 from last year! We made a claim for water/ceiling damage, but thats what I pay my money for.

Anyway, onto moneysupermarket and got loads of quotes for around £270+. Gone with Allianz and specified 2 bikes (£2k+3k) which is max. Came to £330 with monthly payments, so loads better 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

I have to say, I tried comparethemarket as well as confused.com and confused had a much better range of prices.
    I hate paying over the top for bloody insurance!

verticalclimber
    Free Member

been with m&s for 5+ years and this year bikes are only up to 2k each from memory yet other items are up to 4k.

was still way cheaper to list the 2 above the 2k though compared to bike specific insurance.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘M&S insurance WTF?’ is closed to new replies.