Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 362 total)
  • MP shot and stabbed in Birstall, W Yorks
  • gastromonkey
    Free Member

Very sad news.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It is a sad day for democracy when something this can happen

Thoughts to her family, her loved ones and those grieving for her loss

MoreCashThanDash

That’s terrible.

The ultimate price paid for our democratic freedoms that we are too often too quick to dismiss, ignore or abuse.

I hope her family will one day feel proud that she chose to try and make a difference.

gonzy
    Free Member

RIP Jo Cox

pondo

How sad, how bloody pointless – thoughts with her family and friends, can’t imagine what they’re going through. 🙁

Drac

Shocking

RIP Thoughts with her family and colleagues.

There is truly some evil people in this world.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I rarely post on these threads , mainly because others say it far better than I.
    Today is different, I’m horrified that a good woman has been taken from her family and friends.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

terrible news 🙁

miketually
    Free Member

Just awful

igm

Children 3 and 5

sharkbait
    Free Member

What sick b’stard thinks that killing someone like her is going to achieve anything. Some people do not even deserve the right to breath.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Oh man…

notmyrealname
    Free Member

That’s terrible news.
    From what I’ve read today it sounds like she was one of the good MP’s.
    RIP

jambalaya
    Free Member

It is a sad day for democracy when something this can happen

Thoughts to her family, her loved ones and those grieving for her loss

Junky, yes that is perfectly put

Our MPs are very open and accessible which is of benefit to all of us. A terrible event, I hope the murderer goes to prison for life.

SaxonRider

May her memory be eternal, and her family find comfort.

She does indeed sound like she was one of the good ones, but regardless, she was doing a job on behalf of us all, and she will deserve to be remembered with love and respect.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Absolutely horrible. A former charity worker, passionate advocate of equal rights, and, by all accounts, a dedicated MP. Not to mention a wife and mother – her poor family.

Northwind

No words for this

barkm
    Free Member

Makes **** all difference if she was ‘one of the good ones’.

Tragic.

scotroutes

Bugger. We all have a dig at politicians; easy money, should do a proper days work, not representative of their constituents, fiddling expenses etc. I guess this shows the inevitable downside of being in the public eye and making decisions some folk don’t agree with.

Still, it’s shocking because it happens so infrequently. Let’s not use this as an excuse to remove our freedoms or to suggest our MPs should be less accessible.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Absolutely awful news, bad enough in it own right but made so much worse with 2 little kids left without a Mam 😥

ocrider

I’m lost for words. Those poor kids.

robdob
    Free Member

The vast majority of MP’s do an amazing job and just want to improve the country for everyone. They work so many hours and are really dedicated. It sounds like she was one of those great MPs and a credit to the profession. It is such a shame she was targeted in this awful way when she had many years ahead of her working to improve the works for all of us.

robdob
    Free Member

Great words from Nick Robinson on bbc website:

Cox – a popular and respected Labour member of parliament, a young mother and a campaigner for the rights of refugees – was shot and stabbed by a man outside her constituency surgery. She was vulnerable to attack because she was, like so many MPs, available to anyone who wanted to see her with any grievance.

Her death is a reminder that our elected representatives, who are so often demonised for living separate lives from the rest of us, actually all too often live in our communities, in our streets worrying about the same things that we do. Unlike us, though, they open themselves up not to just to criticism and abuse but to assault by those who disagree with them.

We do not know the exact circumstances of this attack. The police insist that it was “localised” ie not linked to any global terror threat. There are, though, suggestions that it was political. If that turns out to be true it is a reminder of one other thing too. The need at all times to respect those who disagree with us and to understand that anger, fury and rage are not the same as passion or belief.

bowglie

Very sad news indeed. Thoughts are with her family.

rkk01
    Free Member

Dreadful

TheFlyingOx

Swinging from day shift to night shift and I’ve had an uneasy sleep with the news she’d been shot running through my thoughts. First thing I thought of when I woke up, only to find she’s died. Awful, awful news.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Beyond tragic – my thoughts go to her family and in particular her poor little children. I’m sure they will grow up super proud and inspired by their mother. And so they should, she had integrity in abundance.

kjcc25
    Free Member

Just watched Nick Robinson on BBC News, agree with robdob great words, very sincere and genuine, worth watching.

hatter

Words fail me.

In time we’ll all want to know the why, how and who behind all this but for now 2 kids just lost their mum, let’s leave it at that for now.

donald
    Free Member

I’m just off the flight from Manchester to Edinburgh. Gordon Brown sat two seats away and dictated a personal statement. He seemed quite affected by the news.

chewkw
    Free Member

I suspect the shooter has mental health issue based on the information from Channel 4 news.

gordimhor

I am dismayed. Labour v Tory, Nationalist v Unionist, Remain v Leave all are utterly worthless compared to this. My thoughts are with the family.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@chew I saw that too, certainly seems to have been the case from thier piece

ChrisL

I don’t know what to say. This one hits hard.

Speeder

He was stable enough to acquire a gun and carry out cold calculated murder of a good MP and loving mother of 2 small children. Lets not start making excuses for him yet please.

RIP Jo Cox

chewkw
    Free Member

Speeder – Member
    He was stable enough to acquire a gun and carry out cold calculated murder of a good MP and loving mother of 2 small children. Lets not start making excuses for him yet please.

Not making any excuses.

Go read Channel 4 news as they reported extensively on the shooter’s mental health.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gordimhor has it, I actually felt like crying when I heard the police chief read out the news. Poor family.

dannyh
    Free Member

This is horrific and disgusting. I feel so sorry for the family. Someone who was a genuine public servant has been murdered in cold blood. This is an incredibly sad day.

If anyone of any stripe tries to make political capital out of this it places them beyond the pale. We do not assassinate politicians in this country.

footflaps

We do not assassinate politicians in this country.

Quite a few more assassinated than I had thought:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/16/jo-cox-attack-latest-serious-assault-mps

jambalaya
    Free Member

We are not making excuses, we are trying to find a reason. Also as I am sure you know someone with a mental health issue can be very capable of aquiring a gun, even maybe making one as its been suggested it was home made.

Quite a few more assassinated than I had thought:

That’s (IRA) terrorists for you

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 362 total)

The topic ‘MP shot and stabbed in Birstall, W Yorks’ is closed to new replies.