Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mousetrackworld – using poison indoors
  • mark88

Well where else would I turn to ask a stupid question…
    I’ve got a mouse in my flat. Tried laying traps but not caught anything yet. It’s now to a point where it wakes us up every night so it has to go! We have no idea where the nest is, if I leave poison out, how long does it take to kill the mouse? Will I just end up with a nest full of dead mice in my walls or is it instant?

ratherbeintobago

Take off and nuke the whole site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

Actually, no, it won’t be that quick and they’ll crawl off somewhere to die. Electric traps seem to be instantly lethal; what are you using for bait? Peanut butter seems to be the thing.

munrobiker
    Free Member

You’ll end up with a mouse rotting in a corner somewhere stinking the house out.

We had one in our cupboard under the stairs that took ages to find (not poisoned, I’d not kill mice myself, a vacuum cleaner had fallen on the poor bugger). The smell was vile.

mark88

I’d rather not resort to a nuke as id probably lose my deposit!
    Peanut butter is a no go due to allergies unfortunately. Tried chocolate, honey and a few different types of nuts (that’s what it was helping itself to in the cupboard). We thought it had stopped looking for food in the flat as we’re above a cafe but it destroyed a bag of protein last night so it’s obviously still hungry

aP
    Free Member

Our neighbour’s flat was infested with mice 2 winters ago. she was putting out £20-£30 of poison a week. Our flat still gets smells of dead mice which we can’t get rid of.
    At the same time we were catching 4 or 5 mice a day for about 2 weeks until we finally got in control of it. We used the plastic Big Cheese traps which worked very well and could be reset easily and simply as opposed to the classic wooden trap. The best bait is either the Big Cheese stuff in a tube or the cheapest peanut butter (don’t buy the really nice organic stuff as mice won’t touch it).
    We also got one of the electric mice repeller which would appear to be discouraging their return.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I got these from B and Q. Within 20 minutes, caught first one, then a few more. Pretty humane (as in instant death so no suffering). gave one to my partner who’d seen a mouse no result, replaced the bait no result, new trap of same type = result so it looks like the bait has a limited life and the replacement bait isn’t up to what is supplied with the trap. But a couple of quid and good for instant results.
    Also quite loud when they go off so if you’re in the house, you know when there’s a body to be disposed of and reset the trap

isitafox
    Free Member

Tried mars bars or snickers??

daviek

We ended up with a few mice when we did some building work on the house and found that a trap with some jam on it worked really well.

Daughter has a peanut allergy so couldn’t try that out either.

Cougar

You’ll end up with a mouse rotting in a corner somewhere stinking the house out.

And they really, really do stink.

Peanut butter is a no go due to allergies unfortunately.

How does putting peanut butter onto a trap with the wrong end of a teaspoon cause allergy issues? You don’t even have to touch it, let alone eat it.

Eyepic
    Free Member

Don’t go for cheap (£1.99) traps….spend a little more on a good trap…B&Q may be good…I used a little nipper…end of story… (and mouse)

gonefishin
    Free Member

How does putting peanut butter onto a trap with the wrong end of a teaspoon cause allergy issues? You don’t even have to touch it, let alone eat it.

I’d imagine that one of the simplest ways of dealing with a serious allergy, like nuts can be, would simply to not have the stuff in the house. This goes double if said daughter is young.

Cougar

This goes double if said daughter is young.

Ah yes, good point.

Don’t go for cheap (£1.99) traps….spend a little more on a good trap..

Accept no substitute.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rentokil-Advanced-Mouse-Trap-Pack/dp/B000T5N0JE/

I found it helps to (carefully!) press the trigger down to the point where it’s right on the edge of snapping, mice aren’t always heavy enough to trip the traps otherwise. I was feeding the feckers for a fortnight before I worked that out.

soulrider
    Free Member

surely this thread should be mouseTRAPworld….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Mousetrackworld – using poison indoors’ is closed to new replies.