Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Mounting DX type torches as helmet lights
  • momo

I've just ordered a Lumilite light for the bars (DX bastid in UK friendly disguise) and was thinking about picking up a torch to use as a helmet light/backup light, and was wondering how people have mounted theirs.

So photos please of your homemade or purchased mountings.

andymonty
    Free Member

i just use a strip of inner tube about 8mm thick (think elastic band)

put it round torch through the middle top vent then pull it out the back and over the torch again

mr_mills
    Free Member

You could also try mounting the main light on your helmet and the torch on the bars, like what I do…

momo

mr_mills is that a P7 torch? If so whats the burn time like on batteries?

I was thinking about going for something less powerful because it'll mainly be a back-up to the bar light/faffing light (punctures etc)

mr_mills
    Free Member

Yes it's a P7 torch from DX. I take 2 batteries out with me and swap when it starts to go a bit dim. It's probably bright for about 1.5hrs, but the light on my helmet is MUCH brighter anyway so it doesn't make that much difference!

They are ideal as a back-up / faffing about / riding on the road light.

takisawa2

Mount from DX.

jordie
    Free Member

Ok i had five minutes to think of something before riding,an old castor wheel and a old piece ofcurtain pole from the garage!

mr_mills
    Free Member

But does that not put the light up way too high? Does it not get caught on tree branches etc?

Kahurangi

Commute helmet: small torch with a tight spot for looking well up the road and not dazzling other traffic. Zip ties straight on to my Spesh Instinct helmet

MTB helmet: P7 torch mounted using half a lock-block type mount (there's a cheap one from DX that is similar) and zip ties. End of zip ties will be cut when I'm happy with the position.

The profile of this is much lower and less likely to snag on branches than some of the other methods.

Obv your ability to do this varies on your helmet.

HTH

momo

JonT do you leave the light on the helmet all the time?

Northwind

Post office red rubber bands and a wee bit of velcro.

jordie
    Free Member

i based my design on my riding buddies lupine mount !

TrekMart
    Free Member

Go to your local sports shop and get some elastic sock ties with velcro ends. I just wrap these round my P7 torch and run them through the helmet vents. Nice and secure and fairly low profile. You can position the light where you want, either to the side or on top depending on the "ridges" on your helmet.

Kahurangi

Momo – yes, those are two different helmets (same model) that I leave the torches attached to all the time. I might take one off for the summer.

I do have 3rd helmet that gets used in daylight, but these helmets fit me well, are easy to attach lights to, and are available for about £30 if your shop around. Made it sensible (to me) to buy another.

DrP

Well, I took my DX torch to a lathe and turned down the ED to about 25mm, then it's exactly the same size as Exposure torches, therefore fits nicely into Exposure handlebar and helmet mount brackets….
    Problem solved!

And here, mounted to the bar bracket…

DrP

surfer
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I bouight some the the DX equivalent to the tesco torch and found them way to heavy with 2xAA batteries, even when just zip tied to the helmet.

Soldered some wires to each battery terminal, shortened the bodies (the DX ones could be shortened/lengthened by adding/removing the tube bit of the body to accomadate different batteries) drill a hole in the side to let some wires out, and wire up some battery packs from maplins.

Bobs yer mothers brother, some 58g lights, almost limitless runtime (how many AA's can you carry?) and zip ties to the back of the helmet hold it at the perfect angle.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Mounting DX type torches as helmet lights’ is closed to new replies.