Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Mountain Mayhem New Venue Announced
  • jesterthefirst
    Free Member

“we’re just waiting now for some fine weather to dry it out to finalise the course” – hope it doesn’t rain like it did in 2012.

phil.w
    Free Member

I can’t complain as it’s moved to only a couple of miles up the road, but this made me chuckle…

The venue is on rock, a fine draining rock which is good

I guess they’re glossing over the fact that Gatcombe Horse Trials were cancelled due to the wet in 2012.

c_klein87

Sounds exciting, I have been considering making it my first 24hr, but twenty12 might just pip it, 7.5mile laps are quite short with mayhem numbers of riders.

chris-noble-mtb.blogspot.com

wwaswas

7.5mile laps are quite short with mayhem numbers of riders.

[ahem]

“We need a minimum of an eight mile course”

We have about seven and a half miles of trails that have been used for hunting and shooting plus mediaeval trails that we are allowed to use.

[/ahem]

CheesybeanZ

well that should guarantee plenty of TV and press coverage

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

But what date is it?

CheesybeanZ

But what date is it?

a week earlier 15-16 , you can camp from 14th .

jota180
    Free Member

“We need a minimum of an eight mile course”

😀

As well as a new tape measure, they could also probably do with brushing up on their geography.

All the northern people want us in the north and all the southern people want us to be in the south so it’s important to find somewhere in the middle.

mrkbutty

Beginning to think we need two events, bring on “Mayhem North”.

If only “Hit the North” was bigger, longer and warmer.

shortcut

Woah! More convenient. That’s good. Need to revise my sleep stop for the way home.

Big question. What tyres?

ndthornton
    Free Member

Doesnt look very hilly – not blown away

mrkbutty
    bigblackshed

Lots of woods, lots of singletrack = not good racing.

Might be good for a ride with a few mates, but put a few hundred racers all queuing up to get through the singletrack…….

Eastnor in the mud last year was a nightmare, 2006 in the dry was epic. Anywhere in the mud is going to be as bad.

psling
    Free Member

pitbitch – Member
    Princess Anne places ?

Posted 2 weeks ago # Report-Post

tang – Member
    Gatcombe would make an excellent venue I live round the corner and can see some jumps from my office! Can’t see it though.

Posted 6 days ago # Report-Post

Good shout these men ^^^(from earlier speculative thread).

emac65
    Free Member

Lots of woods, lots of singletrack = not good racing

That’s hilarious,so if it was in a field just going around in circles you’d be happier………

njee20
    Free Member

To be fair, endless singletrack at an event with Olympians and MTB virgins riding together doesn’t really work!

ndthornton
    Free Member

Lets look at the topography;

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=387467&Y=199344&A=Y&Z=115&ax=387345&ay=199072

Thanks that makes me feel better – lots of nice contour lines. I was looking at a photo which wasnt very inspiring.
    Might give it a go then

IHN

Doesnt look very hilly – not blown away

It’s very hilly (or certainly has the capacity to be very hilly).

aracer
    Free Member

Good shout these men ^^^(from earlier speculative thread).

Oi!

aracer – Member
    Gatcombe Park

POSTED 1 WEEK AGO #

mrkbutty

I don’t think the estate covers a lot of the woods, I expect they will use the eventing tracks from March or similar.

Looks like lots of options and zig-zaging up/down most inclines will knacker most…

It would be good if they did have course options this year similar to Olympic course, put some litigation obstacles in place, shorter quicker but gnarly, or perhaps a commemorative 2012 mud pit option.

LoCo
    Free Member

have to pay the bridge fee now 😉 👿

Discussing whether Loco Racing will be fielding a team at the moment 😀

5thElefant
    Free Member

It is very hilly, or could be. It’s set in a steep valley. I lived a couple of miles away until last year (doh!).

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Anyone know if the Shore will be a permanant fixture?

matthewspb
    Free Member

Has this event now sold out then? Certainly what the website suggests (I’ve been confused by various posts querying whether they may or may not be entering.)

will
    Free Member

Not much Strava activity: http://app.strava.com/segments/2758507

Edit: Looking at the website it would appear either entries are sold out, or they haven’t come out yet. Probably the latter tbh.

Stoner
    Free Member

they could also probably do with brushing up on their geography.

Everyone intelligent knows the north starts at Walsall. So Gatcombe is exactly halfway between the south coast and Walsall.
    Sorted! 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Has this event now sold out then?

No, not opened yet. Feb 28th innit?

DaveRambo

Reading this thread makes me smile – typical STW

Lots of wooded singletrack = complaints that racing will be bad
    Lots of wide tracks = complaints of boring course
    Always complaints that it won’t be hilly enough
    It’s always in the wrong location
    Course will be wrong
    etc

I think we need to give Pat and the team the credit that they’ve done this a fair bit now, understand that there needs to be a balance and they are by far the best people to make sure the event ticks as many boxes as possible.

After last year it had to move otherwise too many people would have decided enough was enough and they seem to think Gatcombe has what it takes to make a decent venue.

That’s good enough for me.

collostomy
    Free Member

Damn it…. Will also have to pay the bridge fee this year 🙁 But will be there whatever the course/weather…

shortcut

You can’t enter until the end of Feb.

Anyone got an idea on pricing for a team of 10? Last years price will do as a guide but I can’t find it. Thanks.

LoCo
    Free Member

tang
    Free Member

Definitely potential for a great course if the juicy bits of the estate are used. I ride through it daily and know the area well. Plenty of open sections as per the eventing course. Contour long climbs possible as well as short very steep ones.
    A lot of the tracks are high and have little topsoil, Cotswold limestone which grips nice in the dry and not bad on the wet. . Woods if used and its not dried out will be wet beech loam, hero dirt when it’s nice, hard work otherwise. Links wise 25 mins from m4/m5. Rickie Cotter lives a stones throw from the course and its her training ground, there’s your female solo winner!

Trimix
    Free Member

Sounds good – but as with all of these events it is really down to the weather.

If its cheap I may enter and just bail out if the weather makes it no more fun to ride.

matthewspb
    Free Member

Doh! Always read the information…
    Thanks for the Replies

This may be an opportunity to prove that bikes cause less surface damage than horses. 😉
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/equestrian/18768225

psling
    Free Member

Oops, sorry Mr aracer 😳

Perhaps there will be CX style obstacles at the new venue:

Clover

😀

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Doesn’t look too far from Cotswold Farm Park where the Bonty 24/12 was held about 5/6 years back and that was a great course (apart from when it rained, which it did, a lot, which turned it into a slither/bogfest).

crazy-legs

I don’t believe STW sometimes…

No-one has ever raced there before but people are already complaining that it’s not a “Mountain”, the course is too short, not hilly enough, too much singletrack, too much woodland, too far south…

Seriously, WTF?!

If you can do better in finding a private estate with good access, enough space to fit thousands of people, cars, caravans, tents, trucks, showers, portaloos and with enough scope to run a decent MTB course round it, then go for it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Mayhem New Venue Announced’ is closed to new replies.