Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Mountain Bike Peru or Bolivia
  • paulww
    Free Member

I have a few weeks planned for a bit of mountain bike adventure in Peru or Bolivia in the Autuum. Has anyone got any recommendations for a good trip..

looking for a point to point ride to explore the area. Lots of climbing, distance and techy descents would be perfect!

Thanks

d45yth
    Free Member

Not much help, but when I looked into going to Peru I decided that Guatemala would be better.

The best riding in Peru is nowhere near Machu Picchu, somewhere I’d have wanted to go. Even though there was a trip in that area, it wasn’t of the same grade.

Also, some trips (in Peru) set off at such an altitude you don’t do any climbing in the first week while you get used to the low oxygen. That also means you’re often above the clouds…after seeing some images and videos of Guatemala it was no contest for me. Look up Lake Atitlan.

number18
    Free Member

I’ve been to both but only biking I did was down Death Road in Bolivia. However, I would have thought Peru lends itself to riding slightly more so than Bolivia.

Cougar

I predict that once this thread has been answered, it will be resurrected by spammers in six months to a year’s time….

Marin
    Free Member

Rode in Peru 3 years ago. Did a few days out of Cusco with a company run by a Scottish bloke. Probably the dearest in town but had kona stinky Sixer’s instead of hack bikes and good support. Did a few days in the Sacred Valley and the Peru Megaavalache route both near Macha Pichu area. I chose this instead of going to Macha Pichu. It was Amazonas explorer the company. Very good I would say. They offer some good trips and the guide Juan Carlos was great on a bike. Just had to Google that to find his name.
    If I went back I’d hire a bike for a day and use a taxi as an uplift to the valley where all the closest ruins are and spend a day doing downhill runs. Only walked down this valley but looked great for biking. Have to dig the guidebook out for the details. Death road in Bolivia always sounds a backpacker must do load of crap to me.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Bike Peru or Bolivia’ is closed to new replies.