• This topic has 56 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by juan.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Motorcycles
  • SaxonRider

Why do they make so much flipping noise?

I live at the end of a cul-de-sac in a quiet urban neighbourhood, and the ear-shattering rumbles from streets that aren't even visible from the top floor of my house make my walls shake.

Does the noise make up for certain types of riders having extra small appendages? 😡

iDave
    Free Member

Motorcyclesbikes

cos some people are complete turds

Jamie
    Free Member

1/10.

TheSwede
    Free Member

very poor!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bikes are noisy to annoy killjoys like you. And that's the truth.

br
    Free Member

Probably H-D's, don't mistake the noise for power – also usually ridden by short Accountants and the like.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Opening up a bike with a race can on is immensely pleasurable.

As I'm knocking on a bit and vaguely responsible these days I rarely do it in built-up areas.

iDave
    Free Member

Bikes are noisy to annoy killjoys like you everyone. And that's the sad truth.

people who want their bike to sound like Rossi's seem to forget that everyone else thinks they're just a childish and irritating nob-jockey. i don't want to hear your **** Akrapovics at 7am.

m0nster2
    Free Member

i don't want to hear your **** Akrapovics at 7am.

To be fair, that's only when I'm running late. I'm normally at my desk by then.

singlecrack
    Free Member

He he he 😆 😆
    .BBRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPP

Northwind

I have a moderately loud exhaust. It's probably a little bit antisocial but I don't leave it running for 20 minutes in the driveway like the **** down the road with the screaming eagles on a harley. There's loud and then there's loud. I replaced my old system because I wasn't happy with the noise levels, the first time I started it i knew I'd not be happy if my neighbour had a bike that made that much noise.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Probably H-D's, don't mistake the noise for power – also usually ridden by short Accountants and the like.

or a ducati, Honda sp1/2, TL1000, Mille, or any other tasty v-twin.

However I agree, race cans are annoying at the crack of dawn!

iDave
    Free Member

i have nothing against loud pipes, been there done that, just not rev'ed to Hades early doors in a residential area

TheDBF
    Free Member

I've got 63 mil cored cans on my Tuono, you want loud, you got it 😆

Ti29er
    Free Member

The race pipe on my Husaberg FS650e is quite extraordinary!
    Not road legal (but what the Hell), when you shift down a gear a little too quickly, on the over-run it makes such a popping and banging set of noices people actually jump!

My Termis on the Duke never came close to the noise the single makes.

However my pal's old twin 750SS makes such a deep rumble with his pipes I can't sit in his wake as it's too loud.
    My old 900SS used to set off the car alarms in one street locally!

Donington threw us out once. It's far more restrictive now. Never could do a track day at some circuits!

I used to race in the Sound of Thunder class with New Era, always at Cadwell.
    Now if want singles and twins to set your teeth a-chattering and feel the very earth move, then that's the class / race you want to witness.

So non-PC it makes me smile every time!

ex-pat
    Free Member

Some ****t hammers his bike past our house at 3:30am nearly every day (it's a unique sound). Kids are still woken by it.
    Considering how to limit that rider's options into the future…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bikes are noisy to annoy killjoys like you everyone. And that's the sad truth.

And, of course, you never annoy anyone at all, do you? Nooooooooooo…………

FWIW, my last 2 bikes have been kept quiet/standard because I prefer them that way. I do like to listen to other bikes though. 🙂

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I've got a carbon Scorpion can on my 08 ZX6R. It's a nice compromise as it looks a lot better than the standard can, weighs hugely less (more important as it's an under-seat can), and altough far nicer sounding than the original isn't stupidly loud. Howls like a banshee over 10,000rpm though 🙂 I suspect the cat must restrict a fair bit of noise.

AndyRT
    Free Member

The only bikes that ever make me jump are to be found in the Surrey hills in the summer. They're green laning, yet you never see them, I've heard them on winterfold, whilst riding up Holmbury!

I love bikes, just not the t##t that screams up past my house at about 100mph in 2nd gear in a suburban 40 limit! 👿

juan
    Free Member

My Termis on the Duke never came close to the noise the single makes.

And they never will… Bike are make noisy to save rider's life FACTOMUNDO.

sv

My bro had JHP cans/system on his 955SP Ducati not overly loud but bl00dy lovely sound!

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Loud pipes are for FAGs

Never understood the 'loud pipes saves lifes' argument. Usually a patch on a HOG riders jacket- why don't they just buy a bike with brakes that work?

I think it has a negative impact on motorbiking, rather than a positive. Hence the OP's gripe.

Ti29er
    Free Member

I've got 63 mil cored cans on my Tuono, you want loud, you got it

That's quite a diameter, the Termis were 52 or 54 I think.

bobbyspangles

i have ridden bikes with and without loud cans-fzr1000 with big bore akra' and a fazer 1200 with a very quiet can. I can honestly say that i much preferred the quieter one as i always felt like a right dick when opening up the louder bike, and always giggled when nobody heard me on the fazer.
    everyone knows that empty vessels make more noise so ride on you crazy accountants!

Geronimo
    Free Member

Are you bike-ist?

In some cases I think I'd prefer a neighbour who rode a bike
    to his early shift than drove a car

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bike are make noisy to save rider's life FACTOMUNDO.

There's no proof of that at all. It's a load of BS made up by riders to justify the noise they make.

RustySpanner

Tough one this.

Any finer sound than a Honda six-cyclinder racer, Laverda Montjuich, Goldie, Manx etc?

Not really – but on the road? Amazed at the hypocrisy in the biking mags and MCN – constant moaning about how "everybody hates us", then an article about how to get an extra 5 or ten horsepower by fitting a loud can and a power commander.
    I was just as guilty as a kid – Microns and Allspeeds on every little poxy two stroke, buggering up the power delivery and annoying everyone for miles.

Sadly, you can't have it both ways.

Brother and Sister in law are climbers, and when out with them at any crag on summer Sunday they whinge that all they can hear, constantly for hours is the sound of bikes with loud cans razzing round the countryside. I think it's a lovely noise, but TBH they are 100% correct and I can see how it alienates people.

However, it's usually the people who whinge about bikes who smile indulgently and get very excited when a Ferrari or Cobra goes past.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I sellotaped bits of yoghurt carton to the chainstays of my bike as a kid, is this the same sort of thing?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Amazed at the hypocrisy in the biking mags and MCN – constant moaning about how "everybody hates us", then an article about how to get an extra 5 or ten horsepower by fitting a loud can and a power commander.

Yeah, I'm with you on that actaully.
    You'd get more safey and/or speed out of spending the £500 your cans cost on some proper training…..

hels
    Free Member

Yes Al it is exactly the same sort of thing. Hoping you grew out of it.

Watching this thread with interest as will start my motorbike commute next week, 6.30am start, will check with the neighbours if they hear it. Think I will be stealth on my 125cc Yamaha tho ! Might have to have some kind of siren fitted, for extra safety once I get in the traffic.

iDave
    Free Member

And, of course, you never annoy anyone at all, do you? Nooooooooooo…………

i try to annoy as few people as possible. and i don't buy things that i know will piss off anyone who lives beside the roads i drive on just so i can pretend i'm barry sheene with a weeny dick. its no different to chavs with drainpipe exhausts on their novas. a bit sad for them, and annoying to everyone else. i'm directing this at the commuters who must be aware that no one else wants to hear a shit load of noise early and late.

i'm not averse to noise, i designed and made some pipes for 2 strokes many moons ago. but they weren't annoying anyone at race tracks

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

Loud pipes do save lives.
    The sad fact is a lot of drivers are very poor at observation before manouvering,not checking mirrors,blind spots etc-not even indicating.
    I'd rather wake people up and live than get side swiped by another blind ****t in a metal cage.

Sorry if that offends – so does getting knocked off!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Loud pipes do save lives.

I don't believe they do. I believe it's a weak justification for pointless frippery. I think you'd be better spending the same (Or a LOT less) money on some advanced training (IAM or similar) then you'd learn how to avoid being knocked off, by not putting yourself in those situations.

But of course it's cooler to have a designer name badge on your exhaust can that it is to learn how to ride better, isn't it?

Sorry if that offends.

Ti29er
    Free Member

ride on you crazy accountants

And there was me thinking that all the accountants I have as clients and those who have worked for me over the years wouldn't say "Boo" to a goose!

cynic-al
    Free Member

t®ibal©hief – Member

i can pretend i'm barry sheene with a weeny dick.

Whatever turns you on big fella!

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

PP-No offence taken

FYI my bike is totally standard and I've done the advanced training.Maybe the nations car drivers should too.

I ride a stock middleweight bike with no mods-the club I ride with all ride Harleys/cruisers some with straight through pipes.People know we are there.We don't ride like ****ts or rev the bollox of the bikes late or early in the morning.
    I ride every day and the observation skills of a lot of drivers is very,very poor.

If someone in a car isn't aware of anything other than what's directly in front of them they need a wake up call.If you were behind the wheel-not the bars and someone did something daft and dangerous you'd toot your horn or flash your lights wouldn't you?

A louder can gives you a bit more presence on the road.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

"Probably H-D's, don't mistake the noise for power – also usually ridden by short Accountants and the like."

I am seven foot nine inches tall, and I castrate grizzly bears for a living. Not really, but I'm a big lad, and I'm certainly not an accountant. My current Harley has got standard pipes, etc, but this is because at present I cant spare the grand or so it would cost me to convert it to stage 1 spec. I personally like loud pipes cos they sound smashing – the loud pipes saves lives argument is a load of old s**te, I managed to get sideswiped and hospitalised whilst on my last bike (hardtail 1340 with straightthrough pipes) by a woman that 'didnt see or hear me'. I know it's not to everyone's taste, and in the past I've always been mindful of upsetting other people by keeping the revs low, etc, at unsocial hours. Basically, it's not the loud pipes, it's the bell ends that believe everybody wants to share the joy at ridiculous times of the night.

one_bad_mofo

people who want their bike to sound like Rossi's seem to forget that everyone else thinks they're just a childish and irritating nob-jockey.

The irony is that Rossi is one of the few riders on the MotoGP grid that runs any sort of silencer on his bike. 🙂

juan
    Free Member

I don't believe they do. I believe it's a weak justification for pointless frippery. I think you'd be better spending the same (Or a LOT less) money on some advanced training (IAM or similar) then you'd learn how to avoid being knocked off, by not putting yourself in those situations.

Well I beg to differ. Down here the fact that you advertise you're a motorcycle actually does save your life. It happened to me several time on both side of the fence. In the car, as when I hear the loud sound of a motorcycle I slow down get closer to the kerb and try not to cut the mid-lane. So when the motorcycle arrives it has a bit more room to manoeuvre. It is something I have heard quite a lot on between riders (actually proper ones at least not the I ride to the café shop) but then I do live in a place where the straight line is unknown.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I love the sound of bikes with loud pipes (four strokes anyway, small two strokes with spannys do my head in, even though I spent many years razzing around on RD250s and 350LCs with Microns or Allspeeds on), whereas cars with dinner plate exhausts p*ss me off greatly. Therefore I can understand why non-bikers get equally p*ssed off with loud bikes.

As many have said already, it's not riding like a twonk that's important, and showing respect to other people in built up areas. Most bikes even with really loud systems aren't too bad at tickover and low revs (some bikes excepted – I knew a guy with a TL1000R with open cans and that thing was ridiculous, made your ears bleed at tickover), therefore don't rev the nuts off it outside your house early or late in the day / night, and keep the revs down in town. Out of town and on national limit roads anything goes (within reason) IMO, I certainly like to try and use the performance I've paid for when I'm riding over in Wales. I do take the point about the climbers' perspective though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Motorcycles’ is closed to new replies.