Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Moto G 2nd Gen
  • ElShalimo

I missed that £120 deal at Argos before Xmas
    Anyone seen any current good deals on them?

lovewookie

about £145 on amazon. got the wife one, damn good phone.

bigjim

I’m confused by these Moto G phones as there are various versions now, are these 2nd gen ones with the 5″ screen only, and different from the Moto G 4G? Some sites seem to blur them together into one.

cp

there are 2 versions now…

4.5″ 4G – this is the second generation of the original Moto G

5″ – this was released alongside the above and has dual sim and a different camera.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Yep the 2nd gen is 5″ screen. The 1st gen is 4.5″
    The 1st gen is available in 3g and 4g. The 2nd gen currently only in 3g.

So if its 4g. Its 1st gen. I think they have also discontinued the 3g 1st gen. But might be stock hanging about still.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Pretty sure the 4g has dual sim too doesn’t it?

bigjim

righto. choosing between this and the xperia z3 compact, which a lot more but has a nice camera.

nbt

My Moto G 4G doesn’t. I know some do but not sure if it’s a gen 1, a gen 1 g4 or a gen 2

ElShalimo
    phead
    Free Member

2nd gen 4g is due soon, specs have already leaked. Worth waiting if you want the bigger screen on 4g.

miketually
    Free Member

2nd gen 4g is due soon, specs have already leaked. Worth waiting if you want the bigger screen on 4g.

Could mean some bargains to be had on the 1st Gen 4G phones soon, too.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have a Z3 compact, my mate has a 2nd gen moto g.

The moto is a fair bit bigger and bulkier for packing away in your rucksack – which is why I went for the Z3 compact, together with its water resistence/proofness.

The battery life on the Z3 compact is also better, he carries a top-up battery round with him which he uses, whereas I don’t

Just wish there was an otterbox or similar for the Z3 compact, currently I use a Ringle case :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xperia-Compact-Case-Protection-Absorption-FUSION-SMOKE-BLACK/dp/B00OHZZ8OM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1420559241&sr=8-6&keywords=Z3+compact+case

which covers most of the slots (headphone included)

and a tempered glass cover on the screen.

miketually
    Free Member

Given the price difference, I’d hope the Z3 Compact was considerably better than the Moto-g…

MoreCashThanDash

Now I’m confused. I’ll just go into Tesco and ask for the one that’s £13.50 a month. Bound to be better than my bloody windows phone.

bigjim

the compact size is the main thing for me, but the nice camera is very tempting. don’t seem to be many deals on the z1 compact.

cp

2nd gen 4g is due soon, specs have already leaked. Worth waiting if you want the bigger screen on 4g

where have you seen this?

miketually
    Free Member

2nd gen 4g is due soon, specs have already leaked. Worth waiting if you want the bigger screen on 4g

where have you seen this?[/quote]

It’s been all over the place (e.g. http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2014/12/30/motorola-moto-g-2014-4g-lte/), after the spec was published to the Brazilian Motorola site.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

bought my z3 compact from Amazon for 379 I think, before xmas.

The call volume was quite low and if the headphone plug moved in the socket the media volume went all over the place, so I did a reinstall, latest software, etc to satisfy Sony Support, and then Amazon posted me out a replacement, and I am about to send the old one back.

miketually
    Free Member

bought my z3 compact from Amazon for 379

The first gen Moto G 4G is currently £139, so your mate saved himself £240 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The first gen Moto G 4G is currently £139, so your mate saved himself £240

that’s good logic there – my mate has a Ferrari – I saved myself £100k and bought an Alfa…

If he’d bought a Z3 Compact for £139 then he would have saved himself £240.

tod456
    Free Member

moto 4 4g £115

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-mobile-motorola-moto-g-4g-black/171-1231.prd

unlock code from ebay £2

not sure what gen it is but …. it’s 4g, 4.5 screen, got 1 sim and 1 memory card slot, if that helps

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

2nd gen 5″ is cheap at Tesco sim free and unlocked, currently hot von HUKD. I got mine using a load of club card points doubled up so worked out better than Amazon.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Love my 1st gen 4G – I’m staying with my parents for a couple of months at the moment and just when I’d resigned myself to their 1.5mbit rural broadband, along comes EE with a free ‘Dan and Phil special edition’ SIM with 100gb per month of 4G data.

Hello tethered 20meg 4G connection!

miketually
    Free Member

that’s good logic there – my mate has a Ferrari – I saved myself £100k and bought an Alfa

I’d not spotted the post earlier asking about the Z3, so thought you were erroneously comparing two very differently priced phones for no reason. Apologies.

ElShalimo

Comparison of Moto G 4G vs 2nd Gen 5″
    Clicky

poppa
    Free Member

Interesting, I am looking at the Xperia Z3 compact and Moto G too. The Z3 seems to offer a better camera, smaller size, maybe better build, and better battery life at fairly significant extra cost (£6ish over a 24 month life).

I would probably want to see how much the 4G Moto will cost first, just for ‘future proofing’ though.

I find it annoying that it is more difficult to get a decent quality small Android phone than a decent quality big one.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

and better battery life at fairly significant extra cost (£6ish over a 24 month life).

sometimes it is actually cheaper to buy the phone outright and then a sim deal, especially if you can get 2 good 12 month SIM deal.

EE did me a 1/2 price for the first 6 months 4G SIM deal and I got my phone from Amazon.

murf
    Free Member

I got a 2nd gen motog at tesco online about a month ago. It was part of the club card boost promotion so using vouchers I got it for £77! It’s a great phone and I seem to remember is splashproof too. Dual sim slot is handy and its not filled with non google bloatware like my old Galaxy S3!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

motog … and I seem to remember is splashproof too

Knocked mine (1st gen) off the windowsill and into the sink whilst washing up over Christmas.
    Fished it out.
    Shook it off.
    Works fine.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Moto G 2nd Gen’ is closed to new replies.