Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Most ridiculously over priced bit of bike-related kit?
  • aP
    Free Member

SSS – touché. Haven't been to see Col for while. Anyway, how's the tandem?

peteimpreza

Polar CS Cadence Magnet

A very small magnet

A very small sticky pad

A piece of tape

singlespeedstu

I best not talk about it as it's not mainstream enough.

Still a laugh though.

Bring yours next time your up.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stu, all tandems are good, regardless of niche-ness! 😉

singlespeedstu

*goes out and sells the tandem*

nickc

Where was that chain catcher that every-one was getting in a state about last week? £30 for a bent piece for metal.

dano
    Free Member

chase down aa roadie… pull a wheelie past them then pretend like you need to take a left turn… gold… only beaten by being overtaken by a long line of cars giving you no room, only to fly past them in a traffic jam further up the road…

muahahahahahahhahaha…

dano
    Free Member

back on topic…

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shimano_SPD_MTB_Cleats/4000000886/

c'mon… its a cleat and it costs 15 squid… get lost…

Earl
    Free Member

Forks – Replacement to servicing ratio

igm

has anyone mentioned Campag corkscrews?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Damn you igm, I was just going to! (sadly, I'd still get one if I hadnt already told the wife how **** expensive they are).

twohats
    Free Member

dano, have you ever been "roadie chasing"? See a roadie while on a tarmac linking section of an off road ride, razz the nuts off them and overtake, then hide behind the next available hedge!

Oh dear…

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

More or less anything by Rapha.

convert

dano, have you ever been "roadie chasing"? See a roadie while on a tarmac linking section of an off road ride, razz the nuts off them and overtake, then hide behind the next available hedge!

Sad isn't it!

Sadly when I'm on road bike your wouldn't have the gears on your bike to keep up with me let alone catch me – your legs would be spinning too fast. I do however know some elderly gents that keep themselves fit by getting out on a road bike and I'm sure you could catch them no bother. But then you'd be "old man chasing" and that dosn't sound so cool or "core" does it!?!

However, I'm sure the only reason you were wanting to catch them up was to give a friendly hello to a fellow cyclist wasn't it?

jedi

valve caps

convert

To you sir – a snip at £799.99

Goz
    Free Member

Sp41 outer caps….

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I'm gonna have to go with brake pads here. What the hell am I paying £15 for anyway?

An £800 mech is all well and good, and ridiculous, and probably no better and barely any lighter than £150 dura ace – but with pads it's not like there is a good alternative at a fraction of the price. Feels like major stroke-age every time.

Pieface

'Roadie chasing'

If you can catch them it'll be because they're not fit / just chilling / on a LOOOONG ride.

My Dad (62) rides pretty slow. He can however ride for 10 hours in the middle of winter and clock up 100 miles without blinking.

A cyclist on a road bike who's as fit as you will easily PWN you any day of the week if you've done equal distances.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Pieface

If you can catch them it'll be because they're not fit / just chilling / on a LOOOONG ride.

My Dad (62) rides pretty slow. He can however ride for 10 hours in the middle of winter and clock up 100 miles without blinking.

A cyclist on a road bike who's as fit as you will easily PWN you any day of the week if you've done equal distances.

And if I can just add to that – A roadie can and will make love to a male polar bear, whether the bear likes it or not. That's just how they roll.

Pieface

Its in my genes

Candodavid
    Free Member

New 20mm axle for SC Shiver currently £85 at CRC…paid £11 from LBS 12 months ago for the same thing….now thats serious inflation

JxL
    Free Member

that carbon derailleur looks as is somebody printed "lightweight" with Microsoft Word. At that price I am expecting a half decent font/design.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I've seen shimano cleats on sale for £19.99. 😯 I take it this is the new rrp as the shop concerned is otherwise pretty decent.

just about anything camelbak aftermarket seems hugely overpriced. I feel for nichey bike specific products with limited retailing and small market and I am sure a certain amount of the apparent high price reflects the very much smaller 'economy of scale' as it were, but was suprised to see camelbak all over the place whilst i was camping kit-shopping yesterday. Even in Sports World!

shoefiti
    Free Member

mech hangers – rip off.

mcboo
    Free Member

Factory wheels, all of them. I only just woke up to the fact that £300 (or more) for an XTR rear wheel with gucci rim and spokes is a terrible idea. Cant get spares when you need them, get your LBS to lace up some standard kit on a nice hub and you are sorted…..

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

mech hangers – rip off.

Cheaper than a new frame… Get over it.

Digimap
    Free Member

Powertap charge £68 for a connector to do a firmware upgrade.

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

igm – Campagnolo corkscrews are awesome though! try one and then say they're overpriced! That said I've removed corks with pens and keys before now 😆

miketually
    Free Member

I reckon almost any of the current vogue for white grips and saddles must rate as overpriced! They'll look tatty soon enough and have to be replaced, meaning you'll have to keep on buying them to keep on looking white and bling and ting!

People with white grips and saddles don't ride their bikes much, so they'll be fine.

😉

tinsy
    Free Member

Following on from a thread yesterday, how about an XT outer ring at £77(crc price at that), seems pretty expensive as the chainset can be had IRO £120

flange
    Free Member

'Overpriced' is subjective though isn't it?

My LBS has a Storck Scenario Pro – 4k frame, about 8k complete. To me I could never justify that (I could buy a nice Fireblade for that sort of money!). However, some local bloke when in and bought two plus one for his son, so he's obviously not of the same opinion.

I used to think Chris King headsets were overpriced, now I have two and wouldn't buy anything else

If you think MTB stuff is overpriced, have a look at motorbike kit. Touratech spring to mind….

Dougal
    Free Member

mech hangers – rip off.

One shop I worked in bought 1000 mech hangers for £1 each. Sold them for £15.99 each or something similar. You'd be amazed how quickly you get through that many too.

convert

mech hangers – rip off.

Honestly, have your interweb geeks had your sense of humor gene completely removed? "Get over it" – Phaah – Get over yourself you dumbass!

Very amusing!

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Most ridiculously over priced bit of bike-related kit?’ is closed to new replies.