Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • More shaving
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Tried a cheapo WS safety razor ad blades from Boots….the shaving experience was a bit crap (admittedly I didn’t have time to check out any videos on technique).

Is it all down to technique or will I need to spend £100 on a pukkah razor and the same on 17 types of blades to find out what works for me?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Yay is Al’s troll du jour. 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s 100% true Mike and not trolling at all. You can inspect my stubble & slightly blotchy skin if you need proof.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

But your 40 Al, surely you know how to shave by now? 😐

thegreatape
    Free Member

Is that the plastic one?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aye.

jools182
    Free Member

tried them king of shaves azor things

could not get on with them

for me its king of shaves oil and mach 3 blades

thegreatape
    Free Member

Good technique relies on the weight of the razor, rather than scraping it round your chops. That plastic one lacks weight compared to steel ones, making it harder to get the technique right. A fella on youtube going by the name of mantic is often the default starting point for how to use them properly.

TooTall
    Free Member

Safety razors – the rigid SS of the razor world.

Give it up and stick to modern technology. Some evolution is good.

richcc
    Free Member

Not sure about the nature of the troll but on face value – assuming you’re shaving your face? – then gillete gel and the 5 blade gillete razor will sort you out.

molgrips
    Free Member

Al, welcome to the 21st century. Just because something is old fashioned does not make it good – I know this goes against the aspirational STW grain but there you go 🙂

Good technique relies on the weight of the razor

Hehe 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

So the safety razor fanbois were wrong? 🙁

sv

Go for the ‘selection’ pack on The Shaving Shack for blades. I have the Wilkinson DE (black plastic over a metal body) its quite weighty and a longish handle. Did manage to pick up an old Gillette Tech razor but its quite small and light. My shaving rash has disappeared after two weeks on the new DE shaving regime.

Twin
    Free Member

M3 Power razor with Nivea sensitive shave gel. Ace. Better than any electric razor I’ve used and the blades aren’t too expensive.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

If you are serious Al, Gilette fusion and a good shaving gel is all you need.

If you suffer bad shaving rash than try a sensitive balm.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

So the safety razor fanbois were wrong?

Were they on this forum?

DezB
    Free Member

What’s bloody annoying about shaving is that it’s something you do for years without thinking about it. Mach 3 blades and Nivea shave gel.
    Then you hear someone on TV talk about shaving (on Richard & Judy about 10 years ago, then Alan Davies on QI, then stuff on STW). So when shaving, a boring task at the best of times, you recall these conversations and start thinking about how you’re shaving. It’s bloody annoying. Shut up!
    Mach 3 blades work fine. So use them.

Hohum
    Free Member

Almost certainly it will be your technique.

You can not use a safety razor in the same way you used a cartridge razor or you will end up with a sore face.

Check out some of the videos (you know you really want to deep down inside) and then give it another go 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Beard, sorted.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I know how to shave fine (with modern stuff), just wanted to see if the old school method was as good as its proponents hold out.

richcc
    Free Member

Too subtle for me mate…. Didn’t pick up on a little dig against
    [*] singlespeeds
    9 speed cassettes
    Hard tails
    Risers
    Flat bars
    Rigid bikes
    Sussers
    [/*]

Delete as appropriate

Hohum
    Free Member

^^^^

It is!

You just have to unlearn all of your bad habits and start again.

jools182
    Free Member

you should try the oil though

its loads better than foam or gel

ton

**** blokes talking about shaving……….wtf.
    mtfu the lot of you…………. 🙄

what next…………’what moisturiser’………ffs

KINGTUT
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

I know how to shave fine (with modern stuff), just wanted to see if the old school method was as good as its proponents hold out.

I know you have a love of things vintage Al, but seriously as per Tootall above, some evolution is good.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

**** blokes talking about shaving……….wtf.
    mtfu the lot of you………….

Well it is a far more manly conversation than asking ‘what bicycle should I buy next?’.

nickc

[bows in front of cynical-al/]

Ace trolling sir, you are to be commended.

DezB
    Free Member

I see Ton agrees with me, but in his own lovely way 😉

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    So the safety razor fanbois were wrong?

No they weren’t. After the other long thread I invested in a Muhle razor, brush etc. Still in my first week but a few comments on the experience so far;
    1) Get a much closer shave with the Muhle. Can’t believe how smooth it feels
    2) Takes about twice as long to shave, but 90% of the time not an issue for me
    3) Quite like the whole ritual
    4) Now on 4th shave and getting the hang of not looking like an extract from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Reckon you need to go the whole hog of decent razor, brush, bowl so not cheap to start, but blades 10p each as opposed to over £1 each for the multi blades I was using

Hohum
    Free Member

Hooray!

Another convert!

Keep it up Captain 🙂

LsD
    Free Member

Ye should just go with waxing, Al………..it’s worked for yer scrotum for years!! 😉

Mekur from http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/ , decent quality brush, sorted.

soobalias
    Free Member

gillette blue two – the best a man can get.

ononeorange

Absoluitely detest shaving – I think it’s a waste of time. So I use the cheapest nastiest blades I can as a kind of protest – why waste money on a pointless thing? Kind of works for me in a weird way, although there are very “bloody” days.

DezB
    Free Member

Ho hum – Member
    Hooray!

Another convert!

This is the weirdest thing – What does it matter to you how someone else shaves???

carbon337
    Free Member

Babylis i-stuble electric jobby works for me – never go clean shaving just take stuble down to .5 mm a couple of times a week.

Jamie
    Free Member

*skip to the end*

Grow a beard.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK:

1. Who’s borked teh formatting?
    2. I am not trolling.
    3. Captain Mainwaring – how can the shave be that good if you are still cutting yourself?

Hohum
    Free Member

DezB – Member

Ho hum – Member
    Hooray!

Another convert!

This is the weirdest thing – What does it matter to you how someone else shaves???

It doesn’t.

In much the same way that I am not really bothered about whether or not cynical Al can get the hang of using a safety razor or not.

Lighten up mate. It’s just a bit of fun 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Good technique relies on the weight of the razor, rather than scraping it round your chops. That plastic one lacks weight compared to steel ones, making it harder to get the technique right. A fella on youtube going by the name of mantic is often the default starting point for how to use them properly.

= stick lump of roofing lead to plakky razor. Job done.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

KoS gel & 24/8 aftershave balm here, and using one of those Azor razors, mixed results with that one though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘More shaving’ is closed to new replies.