Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • More obsessive wristwatch malarkey.
  • mick_r

Maybe just don’t do it up so tight?

It can still de-glove or drag you into something nasty…. I once broke a watch just snagging it on some steelwork so I gave over wearing them after that.

epicyclo

thegreatape – Member
    ….I know what you mean, but having said that, I have a colleague who wears that same watch on a daily basis, work and out of work, and it’s not got a mark on it – Aren’t Rolex’s meant to be pretty tough?…

They are. I bought myself one when I turned 21. One drunken evening was spent showing all and sundry how tough it was by banging it against hard objects. Details are hazy, but I did it a lot apparently. All that happened was the little crown emblem came loose.

I left in in my will to my eldest son, but seeing as I hadn’t managed to die by 61, I gave it to him. He is now giving it a rough life too (he likes rum and crashing motorbikes), but it’s still going strong.

I missed it so I bought myself a new one about a year later. In 40 years I’ll give it to my second son. 🙂

The less features on a watch the better IMO. KISS applies.

mildred

I love watches and used to have quite an eclectic collection – just because I likd the look of at that moment (including lots of swatches. Here’s a few of some I’ve got left after selling a load earlier this year:

My personal favourite Swatch – automatic movement.

All for sale incidentally

deepreddave
    Free Member

Am automatic should be fine worn intermittently but regularly. If left unworn long term some think the oil can dry up. Your biggest inconvenience will be having to set it every time as most only run for c40hrs but if you like engineering then you might enjoy the tactile time.
    I’m not one who is fond of resetting but like the sweep of an automatic. There are some non automatics that sweep but I haven’t gone that route yet.

Scapegoat

mick_r – Member
    So whilst all the usual suspects are assembled – and still playing nicely without major squabbles

Can I ask a watch question?

I’ve never spent much on a watch. I never wear one for work because it would get trashed and I like having my hand connected to my arm (I’ve seen too many people with missing fingers etc – one even with a missing arm). I don’t even have a wedding ring for this reason.

But I’ve now done 26 years with the same company and I get £500 (voucher) to go towards a watch. The singlespeed framebuilder side of me likes mechanical, automatics etc. But what will be the reality if it hardly ever gets worn (so rarely gets wound / energised)? Would a “good” quartz be more sensible?

POSTED 1 DAY AGO # REPORT-POST

How about a Tissot Powermatic 80….. the PRC200s are about that price range. It has a power reserve of 80 hours from fully wound. I think this one looks pretty nice…. and it’s a quality movement.
    http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/d/1302205/tissot+men%27s+stainless+steel+black+leather+strap+watch/

Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘More obsessive wristwatch malarkey.’ is closed to new replies.