Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Moral dilemma
  • howarthp

A friend offers to do you a favour and they make an error, costing you money.

What do you do?

nickjb
    Free Member

Suck it up. That’s how it works with favours. A good friend will likely offer to pay, but then you as a good friend will refuse

Davesport

More info required before I issue a diktat.

Flaperon

Depends how much money and how good a friend they are. Unless we’re talking huge amounts of money, I’d probably chalk it up to life and move on.

ctk
    Free Member

Has the friend accepted they made a mistake? Ball in their court.

scotroutes

A friend would likely offer recompense.

A friend might turn it down.

I’m sure an amicable agreementioned would be reached.

km79
    Free Member

That’s the risk with accepting and doing favours.

howarthp

Thanks all – it’s not a big sum (£50) and I agree that I should take it on the chin

scotroutes

Was this favour something that would have otherwise cost you money?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Been there, a pal giving you time to help you out and save money, I took it on the chin. It was a lot more, and the nature of the favour was of course to save £

badnewz
    Free Member

It’s life, and not much money, but don’t offer any more and just let it go.

Onzadog
    Free Member

A friend has asked to “rent” a piece of kit from me. I said he can borrow it instead. That way, if anything happens to it, it’s much more clear cut.

tjagain

Pretty much as scotroutes says or suck it up.

smell_it
    Free Member

As above, a mate offered to deliver a bike I was selling as he was working in the area of the buyer. Damaged it in transit, cost me above £150 following negotiations with buyer. Mate offered to cover, and I refused. We went for some beers, life is good.

JoeG
    Free Member

Small claims court! 😈 😆

mattsccm
    Free Member

If offered, without any prompting, split the difference. Might ease his guilt, might stop a juggling feeling of injustice by you and might clear the air. Maybe take it in a way that doesn’t involve money, such as goods or services.
    Is his wife/partner fit? 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

50 quid, chalk it to experience. what was the favour? (without the context, I’m not really seeing the morality in all this.)

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Name and shame. Someone else might know the mate and being warned will help them. The question has been asked over a paltry £50, so not that good a mate.
    Throw it in the conversation in a jovial way, he’ll get to know how pissed off you really are, eventually.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Arghhhh! A mate’s son offered to dip my helmet (not an innuendo) and 3 months later nowt has arrived.. in the interim I’ve photographed his dad’s wedding and done stuff for him. He is a cock and his parents feet bad but I don’t want to let the tw@ off.
    I hate the rift being generated.

allthepies
    Free Member

Ask for the helmet back then.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Have done. Been promised back twice. His dad said he’d meet me in the pub tonight. Im here. He’s not. No response to texts.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Moral dilemma’ is closed to new replies.