Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Mobile contract advice please 18 or 24 months
  • schrickvr6
    Free Member

I'm looking at getting the HTC Desire but i'm not sure if I'm best off on 18 or 24 month contract.

Both deals I'm looking at are T mobile 300 mins, 300 texts + internet, total cost would be £430 for 18 months or £450 for 24 months. I know people say shorter is better but would it not make sense to get an extra 6 months contract for £20?

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

you get more for your money on a longer contract. BUT your life style could change and you may be left with a contract you dont need or even cant afford.

there will always be pros and cons. if you stay with t-mobile they will always give you good deals. i pay hardly any thing for my 3rd phone line and i total i pay about £50 pm on 3 phone lines with unlimited texts calls and internet.

glenh
    Free Member

That seems remarkably cheap.

I thought the desire would be more like £30 a month?

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP there's the rub. Depends whether you're confident you'll still want it in 18 months and whether the 6 months at £20 is a big deal.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Thanks guys I've just ordered direct from T Mobile after originally looking at BMP.net….

£94 for the phone and £15 a month over 24 months for 300 minutes, 300 texts, 3gb internet + unlimited landline. bargaintastic IMO 😀

freddyg
    Free Member

shrickvr6 – any idea when it'll arrive?

I'm looking at the very same deal – am currently at the end of my contract with Vodafone who haven't stated when they're going to start shipping the desire.

Do I stay loyal in the hope it'll be soon and they'll match the T-mobile tariffs, or do I jump ship? I've been with them for years and haven't really got any complaints about their service – although with the desire, I'm curious as to whether they've tinkered with it like they did with the Magic.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

According to the sales rep they will be in stock before 12 tomorrow for delivery Thursday, as many have suggested I just called up and mentioned cashback sites and they pretty much instantly offered a £35 discount. It's certainly worth trying Voda retentions first though I'd have thought.

coffeeking
    Free Member

depends if you like signal too, most tmobile people I know can't get a signal even in the middle of a big city :S

freddyg
    Free Member

I've been on the phone to V'fone and spoken to retentions. The problem is that even they don't know when the desire is available.

I feel like throwing my toys out of the pram as I need one now! 😆 Bizarre really, I'm usually very patient and happy to wait, but not this time, for some reason!

EDIT: I requested my PAC code t'other day and they've just called me up. They told me that the desire will be available sometime between the 15th and 20th of April. Can I wait that long? Can I? 😆

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Do you think the phone will physically last for two years? My Nokia needed a new battery in under 12 and my current Sony is looking decidedly tatty after only 6 (and its never been dropped).

coffeeking
    Free Member

Do you think the phone will physically last for two years? My Nokia needed a new battery in under 12 and my current Sony is looking decidedly tatty after only 6 (and its never been dropped).

My 6630 has been with me for nearly 4 years, it was with my brother for 2 before that. Used daily. Just about needs a new battery but it is still usable for 48 hours.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I did the coverage test so they can have the thing back if there's no signal…

Will it last for 2 years? Let me look into my crystal ball….yep it will if I don't break it. I've had this poxy W800i thing for 5 or 6 years but it really has passed it's best before date now. 😀

IA

Thing is, if you get used to higher end phones and more features, you want a new one (with better features etc) sooner. As the technology pushes on and gets better quicker at the high end, compared to the low end.

freddyg
    Free Member

Rockhopper – Member

Do you think the phone will physically last for two years?

If it's built like the other HTC phones, then yes.

I've had my current Asus/Vodafone-rebranded smartphone for over 2 years. It's not let me down yet. I bought a case for it and put a screen protector on it. It's fine, well used but fine. The reasons I want to swap it are: Memory Map fubarred the GPS chip (well, it never worked again as soon as the install was completed) and I'm a bit of a geek so want to have a fiddle with Android.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Mobile contract advice please 18 or 24 months’ is closed to new replies.