Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Moab family trails
  • molgrips
    Free Member

As above. Is there flat easy stuff in the area we can do? Me, the Mrs and a bike trailer… Mrs Grips is pretty out of shape so it'd have to be almost entirely flat. Think canal towpaths/old railway lines etc.

Or other spots in the SW that would have similar…

And I know I can Google, I thought I'd ask folk who've been there 🙂

ampthill

Arches national park, on the road, my wife rembers as flat, but she did way 7 stone then

Around town was flat

rent a 4 wd drive. Drive round the white rim trail. You ride the hills she rides the flat bits? Ideally you'd spend a few days on this?

Being America anything around MOAB that meets this desciption will have carrs on it

Cycle path through Boulder was nice. I think this ran into Boulder Canyon and was flat for at least the first bit

Floor of Yosemite valley. That was lovely and has cycle trails….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just bear in mind that whatever you do, you're in a DESERT! Drink three times what you would normally, you just never sweat at all, but you dehydrate super fast! When we did Slickrock, which is about 14 miles, I drank well over 3 litres of water and still got dehydrated. And that was in September when it was cooling off a bit. Seriously.

That said, it's a fantastic place to go, and I'm sure any of the (Superb) bike shops in town will be able to point you in the right direction. You'll love it!

molgrips
    Free Member

Floor of Yosemite valley. That was lovely and has cycle trails….

Could be a goer.

PP thanks – I know about the desert stuff 🙂

Have not necessarily decided to go to Moab – I want somewhere where Mrs Grips can ride too so we can get some stuff done together.

ampthill

Just a couple of other thoughts

Moab and Boulder are both high altittude, which doesn't flatter anyones fitness

California has lots to offer as a destination, Yosemite being a high light

busydog
    Free Member

Another thought is the north rim of the Grand Canyon. There is a bike trail running along the rim that offers spectacular scenery/views of the canyon. I haven't ridden it, but did hike along a couple miles and the part I was on was sort of rolling, but not technical.
    Ampthill is right about anything very flat/level around Moab will have motorized vehicles on it. White Rim trail is spectacular, with some flat/level areas, but also climbs/descents and some spots of really loose sand. Renting a 4-wheel drive and doing the entire trail (about 100 miles), camping along the way would afford opportunity for her to get riding in on the easier parts. One difficulty is that in order to camp, one has to make reservations as camping spots are limited (at least reservations were required 3 years ago). It can be brutally hot in the peak of summer, but during the monsoon season (July-August primarily), you can count on thunderstorms many afternoons that really cool it off. The views from the trail are really beyond description. Only other caution is that even with a 4-wheel drive, there are a few dicey spots if you aren't used to that kind of terrain.
    Local Moab bike shops can really help direct you to trails. There was trail (don't remember which) that my wife and I took a shuttle bus from a bike shop about 15 miles out and then rode back on a long, winding downhill forest service road that only had one climb (maybe a mile long, but gradual) towards the end before dumping out in to the valley again. Really great ride and always lots of bikes along the way.

molgrips
    Free Member

I like the Yosemite idea but it might be too far to drive. We've got a 1 year old with us, and we have to start in Wisconsin.. so even Moab is pushing it.

Thanks for the advice so far…

busydog
    Free Member

Here is a website that has White Trail info and another link on the site that has videos of a bunch of trails in the southwest–ranging from easy to the insane. http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/whiterim.htm

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Moab family trails’ is closed to new replies.