Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Mini chain link pluers
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

The forum did do this several years ago when 1×11 was growing in popularity but I’d like to revisit if I may.

Does anyone recommend a particular set for carrying on the bike?

But more importantly than that, has anyone ever needed them on the trail? I’m trying to think of a scenario that couldn’t be solved with a chain breaker and a spare set of links.

Kramer
    Free Member

I”ve got a set of the tyre levers that also make up link pliers.

I’ve had to use them a few times to either remove my own chain completely when I’d taco’d the chain ring, or remove a chain to disentangle it from between the cassette and spokes.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’m struggling to think of a good reason to need them on the trail. Maybe to go chainless if you mash a mech, but you can do that with a chain tool.

bens
    Free Member

I’ve got the Granite Talon too. Chain link pliers and tyre levers in one. I’ve used both trailside with successful results each time.

Only thing I don’t like is the elastic band that holds them together. It would be a nicer tool if it locked itself together or used a magnet or something. For what they cost though, they’re still good.

thepurist

I got the ztto ones off Ebay after snapping my mech hanger a few weeks ago. Tried and failed to undo the link and the spare quick link that I “always” carry under the stem cap wasn’t there. That meant I couldn’t shorten the chain to bodge my way home so I ended up going chainless.

theotherjonv

I’m struggling to think of a good reason to need them on the trail. Maybe to go chainless if you mash a mech, but you can do that with a chain tool.

Way quicker than a chain tool and less likelihood of messing something up, plus chances are you’ll have to carry tyre levers anyway so why not double up and have the option. Could still need a chain tool too though, if you mangle a chain and need to take a length out. But for a trapped chain between chainring and BB, it has saved a ride a couple of times by carrying something similar to those Talons.

Or, you can do it with a bootlace. Or a rock.

benp1

Wolftooth pliers here. I’ve used them trailside a couple of times. Could survive without them but when you need them, they work great

Onzadog
    Free Member

This has come about because I’m considering a OneUp EDC for a new build and wondering if the plyers are worth the extra. I notice they no longer promote the function on the multi tool to undo master links. I don’t know if that’s to sell more plyers or because it doesn’t actually work on 11 speed and above.

devash
    Free Member

I’ve got the Wolf Tooth ones. I love the way you can store a couple of pairs of quick links in the actual tool itself, rather than have them floating round inside your pack, inevitably getting lost. One of those tools that you hope never to use, but good to have anyway. Like my Peaty’s tubeless repair thing, which I have actually used a couple of times, on both occasions saving me from 10+ mile walk back home.

leegee

I carry a length of gear cable for this purpose. When refitting, back brake on stamp on pedal

winston
    Free Member

I bought the wolf tooth ones and sent them back. Hinge had loads of play, links would fall out as magnet wasn’t strong enough to stop them opening in my bag Plus I didn’t think the design was very good for the money. I actually now use a pair of tiny pliers I got in some upmarket xmas crackers!

montgomery
    Free Member

I’m struggling to think of a good reason to need them [chain link pliers] on the trail. Maybe to go chainless if you mash a mech, but you can do that with a chain tool

I bought some tyre lever types after, like others, ripping off the mech hanger. I had a spare hanger to fit but the chain was so twisted and tangled I had to break and refit it. Ordered the Granite levers as soon as I got home…

bigblackshed

I’ve got the Wolftooth ones in one bag. Nicely made things that work when I’ve needed them to.

Being a complete tool tart I wanted a set for another bag, saving me seconds when I transfer kit from one bag to another, I bought some no name ones off eBay. They are not as nicely made, there’s a bit of wobble at the pivot, but they work.

The Wolftooth one are nicer. But not £35 nicer.

sboardman

I have the granite ones and they do the job. I think I’ve used them in anger, or at least mild frustration, out in the wild too.

nwgiles

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vbestlife-Bicycle-Pliers-Aluminum-Multifunction/dp/B0BRY9X9NT/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=master+link+pliers&qid=1707736608&sr=8-9

I have a cheap set like this in the backpack with some spare links in, used it once in 4 years.

asbrooks

I used to carry this Linky in my back pack until recently. I’ve now moved to a hip pack which is lot smaller and limits what I can carry. It has been useful several times. I’ll be ordering this Linky and ditch a tyre lever going forward.

footflaps

I carry some super cheap tiny one ones from Amazon in all my bike tool kits. My summer road bike occasionally throws the chain off on the inside and it gets stuck behind the chainring bolts and is nearly impossible to retrieve, the pliers solve that problem.

rhayter

The Woolftooth ones work. At least they did on the one single occasion that I needed to use it in the last four years… At least they also have a handy chain link store and can be used as a tyre lever.

13thfloormonk

I just thought of a use for them the other day, if you’re cycle touring with a waxed chain and want to top it up with a wax drip lube like Squirt or Silca Super Secret, it always works much better if the chain can sit somewhere warm indoors overnight.

If you can’t take bike indoors, just apply lube, spin pedals, break chain and drape over a handy radiator indoors somewhere 😎

Although I think the Wipperman reusable links are designed to be broken by hand…

wheelie

I’ve been using Wippeman Connex links for years. Unfortunately I have had two open on different bikes. Whether thy came from a bad batch I don’t know but i’m moving to KMC. Shame because it was so handy not having to use tools.

didnthurt

I carry a small folding pair of Stanley pliers. I use these for opening chain quicklinks (amongst other things), you just use them diagonally across the link.

Used them a few weeks ago on a pals bike that simultaneously snapped the chain, bent the rear mech cage and snapped his mech hanger.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.