Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Miitant walkers, and ramblerists
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

All the Horse Riders I come across are lovely, never had an issue, always pass the time of day, always ask if it’s alright to pass them and stop on approach, no point in annoying the Ned now is there.

“waves at Racheal who Neds and Rides an MTB in the Downs”

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Unlike my Hope Pro II hub

+1 for Hope hubs – can backpeddle to increase the frequency and penetration of the chatter which is very effective.

Calling out “on your left” or whatever seems like a good idea.

ringing a bell always seems intrusive and rude – maybe because I see it in London where cyclists appear to believe that they have clear passage to ride wherever they want after ringing their bell.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I was cycling home from london the other day on the a4 cycle path.

Several times I was over taking some other cyclists, so I called I called “on your right”.

Que them immediately moving to the right.

project
    Free Member

Last winter, cycling along a dark old railway line a sustrans path, large group of teenagers sitting there chatting, as i approached, i asked could i get through, they all politely moved, one even said youre the first cyclist/walker to ask, all the others just rode through us, or tried treading on us.
    The origianl incidents i posted about, one was in a park, and the other on a designated sustrans route,that was once a footpath along an old railway,now inhabited by old people with dogs who seem to be incontinent.

crazy-legs

Last winter, cycling along a dark old railway line a sustrans path, large group of teenagers sitting there chatting, as i approached, i asked could i get through, they all politely moved, one even said youre the first cyclist/walker to ask, all the others just rode through us, or tried treading on us.

Same here, I used to commute along a canal towpath that ran past a large Tesco’s. Underneath the road bridge next to the canal was the gathering point for all the local teenagers drinking their Tesco cider but they were actually really polite. They’d be messing about, swearing and play fighting amongst themselves but as soon as anyone came by they’d move to one side, say good evening. Quite funny really given that the Daily Mail would probably have branded them all a bunch of drunken hooligans.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

,now inhabited by old people with dogs who seem to be incontinent.

the old people, or the dogs?

cinnamon_girl

Please remember that some folk don’t have hearing as sharp as you youngsters!

grum
    Free Member

Quite funny really given that the Daily Mail would probably have branded them all a bunch of drunken hooligans.

Yup, unsurprisingly with the vast majority of people if you are normal and friendly with them they will reciprocate. We are so scared of young people in this country.

mintimperial

Last time I encountered a group of teenagers on the towpath they yelled “Nice forks!” after me as I rode off. I was quite surprised, they didn’t try to mug me for my bike or anything.

steveh

I’ve had trouble a few times from people deliberately impeeding progress on legal trails but generally just try to ignore it and carry on.

The best time I had this was on the Stanage plantations path, where on several occasions I’ve been told off by folks for riding on the footpath and they’ve blocked the path to do so. My favourite occurance of this was when the national park rangers were doing some work clearing foliage from around the path and before I’d even opened my mouth he shouted over that it was a bridleway and I was quite entitled to be there. The look on the man’s face as he huffed off was priceless.

ditch_jockey

You sure it wasn’t “nice norks”? Perhaps time to double check the moobs?

hora
    Free Member

Pisses me off when cyclists get arsy or answer a walker back. So what? They aren’t ‘owning’ you or questioning your virility.
    In general cyclists tend to be bigger than walkers. I’ve yet to see an arsy walker bigger than me (or anywhere near).

Live and let live. FFS not so long ago I was shoved and pushed around yet kept my cool. Turns out the bloke is the local vigilantie-anti-cyclist nutter.

If your ‘hard’ and want to rise to someone baiting you, commenting or being aggressive then would you do the same in town out on a Sat night?

Doubt it.

‘Militant’ Walkers aren’t physically big – they are just having a good moan and I bet they are moaning because someone startled them or another rider previously gave them a close miss.

binners

Oh come on Hora! Don’t tell half a story.

You only got pushed and shoved around because you were riding naked apart from a set of flashing devil horns, SPD sandals and Argyle socks! And you were trying to push through all the parents waiting to pick their kids up from school

IanMunro
    Free Member

😀
    Sorry, I’ve just started imagining anti-cyclist vigilantes stretching clear pallet wrap across trails now.

hora
    Free Member

😆

hora
    Free Member

Currently watching Wainwright walks 🙂

We have such a beautiful shared passion with walkers. Not riding or walking but being out there. Marvellous

yunki
    Free Member

eeurghh..
    I find myself agreeing wholeheartedly with Hora..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Went for a ride tonight and was on a short stretch of road approaching two ladies (late20s/early30s) from behind. I was aware that they could not hear me and didn’t want to scare them. I was about to shout something when they turned around to cross the road.

One smiled (as I had slowed down) but the other pointed at me and shouted. “BELL!”

At least, that’s what I thought she shouted!!

CountZero

I have never had this happen but like Tonyd5000 I use a bell.
    Seriously how many of you that experience this are not using bells?

I have and I do. I’ve experienced bolshey attitude from walkers on bridle paths, and cycle paths, and even, for God’s sake, a public highway! The latter the road running through the centre of Castle Combe, when I came up behind three people walking line abreast across the road. They ignored me when I rang my bell some distance behind, and when I said “excuse me, please”, one had the bloody cheek to say, “why?” “Why! Dammit you’re walking in the middle of the bloody road! This isn’t a damned theme park, it’s a public road that cars, buses and tractors drive along”
    I’ve been criticised for ringing my bell and criticised for not ringing a bell. I can’t do right for doing wrong with folk.
    Try arguing with that, TJ.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fair enough – I merely asked the question ‘cos IME you get a much better reaction if you use a bell

hora
    Free Member

A bell has a sense of urgency about it, why not slow right down and freewheel? I’ve found my hope hub with patience rewards as the walker feels alittle honoured that your not in a rush and it shows courtesy?

I never use a bell. When I approach horses I’ll gently cough. Imagine a bell shrilling behind a horse? Same effect to startle a walker me thinks

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The bell just works – a polite ting ting from a good distance away.

Never had a complaint, been thanked many times for it.

I agree it seems rude but its what ramblers seem to want and exect – and it helps smooth the way so I use one. ( but never to a horse)

wallace1492
    Free Member

Bell does work, but think it is a bit impersonal. A friendly ‘scuse me’ I find much better, with a quick comment on the weather/view/track/etc….. virtually always gets friendly response.

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Miitant walkers, and ramblerists’ is closed to new replies.