Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Mid life crises… Your experiences please!
  • rocketman
    Free Member

A ‘crisis’ is what other people call it.

The reality is you reach a time in your life when you have a raised a family, have a roof over your head & food on the table and actually have the time/money to think about yourself for a change.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

might actually go the other way during my stint of middlerage and become a townie, watch football and read the sun.

I thought tattoos and piercings were all the rage for football watching, Sun reading townies? They are around here.

ourmaninthenorth

Too young to have had one yet (35).

Broadly, aren’t they just a timing issue – you get to an age where you have the money to do the things you couldn’t do when you didn’t have it?

I know someone whose 40 yo/o husband has just been found out putting himself on a “dating” site for casual how’s-yer-father. It’s always the quiet ones you have to watch..!

yunki
    Free Member

when I hit 35 I gave up my (very fulfilling) life of drugs booze anarchy and mayhem and settled down with a nice wifey lady in the countryside to raise a family, bake cakes and ride bikes..

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I’m 55 & still love riding bikes, flying kites & model Heli’s so still a big kid really! No time for a crisis hopefully.

woody2000

I had mine in my mid/late 20’s, though in reality it was more of a crisis of confidence that led me to do some pretty stupid stuff. 40 now, and much more settled and happy with myself 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Mid life crisis are things tedious people have. As if they need some justification for doing something they actually enjoy. Normally in the most boringly predictable fashion imaginable. Oh look – another accountant on a Harley!
    Normal people call it ‘living’

Haha, that was the way I always viewed it Binners, definitely that kind of thing is ridiculously boring and predictable.

To be honest I’m more on about doing a few things I’ve always wanted to, but none of my close friends or family would understand. Something that more boring or mundane people would confuse for a crisis certainly, which is kinda the point I was getting at. It would just be me doing a few things (probably unexpected by people that know me cos I’ve never chatted about them with them) that I’ve wanted to do for a while I suppose. Lack of funds might preclude most of them for some time to come anyway, but never mind…

Oh and I’m not talking motorbikes, or flash cars, or another woman or anything like that for myself. Had a string of quick cars when I was younger, these days ability to get bikes in and be cheap to run is way more important. Have also had motorbikes for years anyway. And I’m single, so would be hard to have a bit on the side!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I don’t think the ‘midlife’ thing is as stark as it used to be – there was a time when you got married at 20, had kids and then hit 40 seeing the kids grow up and question what you actually achieved in your own life as it felt like your job was done.

Nowadays people have far more life experiences (travelling etc) then get married later, have children later and probably feel more fulfilled as a result. And no-one bats an eye at a 40+ fat bloke on a mountain bike whereas a couple of generations ago that same bloke would have been working all hours and then going home/to the pub to relax in what time he had left.

epicyclo

Mid life crisis? I call it an awakening.

One day you look around you and realise you have been squeezed into a life you didn’t choose. You look at the dispirited old grey men in your workplace and realise that once they were like you.

I remember the day well. Came back from lunch, did a bit of work, looked around at the dogm, and it hit me. I gave it half an hour’s objective thought, packed up my personal stuff and walked out.

Best thing I ever did.

I aim to make a similar sudden resolution every few years. Keeps life interesting not knowing what you will be doing next year.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Mid life crises… Your experiences please!’ is closed to new replies.