Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Micro garden office ideas
  • AlexSimon

Any advice on a wet New Years Day?

jamj1974

Wish I had some ideas to contribute! I would live to see how this progresses though!

AlexSimon

Thanks jamj1974
    I’ll post a full thread when work gets underway. Still finishing the shed project at the moment.
    Which reminds me – I need to upload some more recent photos.

jkomo

I’ve got three sides of a wooden conservatory including doors.
    Meant to go on eBay, just can’t be arsed, I can email photos if you think it may be suitable.

righog
    Free Member

You could go Full eco build

Simon dale

lammas

mick_r

I’ve been toying with the idea of a shed using a turf roof on a tubular supporting structure (stainless or galvanised steel tubes), then add in un-stressed insulated wall panels. I want something that could be easily stripped down if we moved house, and a massive made in-situ wooden structure just seemed the wrong solution.

http://www.coldsaverpanels.co.uk/index.htm

Not got as far as finding out costs. Maybe they could be used for the half height / half sunk hobbit idea? I think some of the panels can be made where the structural bits use plastic blocks rather than wooden cores so totally rot proof.

mogrim

Will the computer suffer if it’s left for a week in winter (i.e. probably freezing) or is if fine as long as I get it back up to 5 degrees or so before switching on – again is condensation a worry?

Cold itself shouldn’t make too much difference, apart from the clock battery – that could fail if the machine gets too cold. You shouldn’t need to warm the machine up, either.

I’d be wary about condensation, though, that could easily cause problems. I’d be particularly careful to resist the temptation to take your freezing cold computer inside to the warmth of your house…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I think you’ll need to consider planning permission, or at least check when you know what you want to do.

I’m putting an order in on one of these tomorrow, with 70mm thick timber

http://www.logcabins.lv/logcabins/product-range/tf-range/log-cabins-warminster-2-35m-x-2-35m.html

tymbian
    Free Member

I’ve just built this for a customer, fully lined & insulated with power. Lights & sockets. The possibilities and build options are endless.. this measures 2.8m x 3.0m approx

AlexSimon

mogrim – Member

Cold itself shouldn’t make too much difference, apart from the clock battery – that could fail if the machine gets too cold. You shouldn’t need to warm the machine up, either.

I’d be wary about condensation, though, that could easily cause problems. I’d be particularly careful to resist the temptation to take your freezing cold computer inside to the warmth of your house…
    Thanks mogrim. Yes, I can see the latter being a problem.
    I’ve been looking at the specs on a few computer bits and it seems they are pretty resistant to temp and humidity, but yes, I need to somehow make sure the computer isn’t the coldest thing in the room. Insulate it from the floor perhaps.
    (it’s a desktop tower because I run dual monitors btw).

AlexSimon

jkomo Yes please! – email in profile.

The build is something I’m looking forward to – I’ve decided that building structures is my new hobby, so I’m not looking for an off-the-shelf solution. But some materials to customize might be interesting.

AlexSimon

mick_r – Member
    I’ve been toying with the idea of a shed using a turf roof on a tubular supporting structure (stainless or galvanised steel tubes)

Yes, this is something I’ve been thinking about too – not necessarily for this build, but I fancy the idea of a steel skeleton for another project.
    This building in particular caught my fancy:

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item/6849/the-watershed-a-writing-studio

AlexSimon

piedi di formaggio – Member

I think you’ll need to consider planning permission, or at least check when you know what you want to do.
    I’m not in a conservation area, so as far as I’m aware, as long as I stay beneath 15sqm and 2.4m height, I’m ok.
    AC Power will require Part P notification.

I haven’t looked into stove chimney regulations yet, because from reading people’s thoughts above, It may be too small for one.

Trekster

mick_r – Member
    I’ve been toying with the idea of a shed using a turf roof on a tubular supporting structure (stainless or galvanised steel tubes), then add in un-stressed insulated wall panels. I want something that could be easily stripped down if we moved house, and a massive made in-situ wooden structure just seemed the wrong solution.

Scaffolding? 💡

jkomo

Pics sent

AlexSimon

Thanks jkomo – as mentioned in the email, I couldn’t possibly use all that glass – probably only one window and one door, so it’s probably best going to someone else.
    I hope you can find someone that can use it all!

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Micro garden office ideas’ is closed to new replies.