Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 233 total)
  • Micheldever Wood / Black Wood near Winchester – worth exploring?
  • bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Ooh ooh! me me! Halfway between work and home? Sounds ideal!

Work finishes at 6pm but I could try and chip off early and stand on the throttle to be there for about 6.10.

peath
    Free Member

I've been beaten to a night out by my wife, so I'm on baby sitting duties… 🙁 Hopefully you guys do this again and I can make it…

Enjoy the ride!

podman
    Free Member

Inspired by today's postings I went to Black wood for the first time this evening, and had a great time! Very impressed with the trails indeed, we ended up being there for a rather long time, and did get a little lost, but will certainly be going back! Depending on work I may even see you next Wednesday for the group ride- I always plan to go on them but I never get around to it! Rigid SS here, the ground at the start was quite hard going but past that it was perfect for 32:16 🙂

It may be worth noting that we were advised that the gate for the industrial estate will be locked when the lady whose name I've forgotten leaves in the evening, however we didn't leave until about 7.30 and the gate was still open. The chap that worked there was more than happy for us to park on the industrial estate, so shouldn't be a problem during office hours 🙂

I made a GPS track of the route too, and am happy to share it if somebody can advise the best place to host them now that bikehike no longer allows routes to be saved?

BrianOfWinchester
    Free Member

I was thinking of parking on the access road, which is not gated, rather than actually on the industrial estate. Plenty of room.

Re. the holiday cottages – I thought that was a few years ago and came to nothing. I hope there is not a new plan. The woods are such a quiet place at the moment, I'd hate to see that lost to over-development. Who wants to go on holiday to Micheldever, anyway?!

bikewhisperer – see you there!

BrianOfWinchester
    Free Member

Podman – I put the gps logs on bing.com maps, much as I hate the microsoft empire, bing maps allow everyone to view the routes on OS 25k and 50k maps. Unfortunately it does not appear possible to post the direct links here. (see page 2 of thread)

I just got a marketing email from memory map advertising their new trail viewer service: trailzilla.com. On quick check, it seems you need to have to register and log in to be able to view trails over OS 25k & 50k, which ain't so good for everybody.

cinnamon_girl

Just in case I'm unable to make Wednesday, am hoping to pop over there on Saturday morning purely for the singletrack.

Is anti-clockwise still the preferred way? If I don't make Wednesday, you may well find me unconscious in a bombhole from Saturday!

podman – sounds as though you enjoyed it! You can always save your gps route as a gpx and send to folk with mapping software. 8)

BrianOfWinchester
    Free Member

I'd go for anti-clockwise first time you do the full thing. I've never tried the other direction (except a little section that was not on the 2009 route) but I have been told it's not so good clockwise.

I could head over Saturday AM too, if you like, then you can go reckless in the bombholes! Plus that'd save me thinking somewhere else to ride. Maybe anyone else who can't make the Wednesday?

cinnamon_girl

Thanks Brian. I will aim to get there Saturday morning, obviously hoping I don't oversleep! Should be around 10.00 am, if you can make it that would be great.

Should I park beside the industrial estate or in the pull-in?

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Job Interview Saturday morning so can't make it 🙁

Still on for Wednesday though 🙂

BrianOfWinchester
    Free Member

My preference is to start by the industrial units, just to avoid finishing with the most uphill bits, but take your pick! (pull-in is off the A33?) 10am… likewise… should be do-able :O

BrianOfWinchester
    Free Member

Hmm, looks like the holiday chalet application has been resubmitted last month. ONLY 98 chalets this time, plus cafe, shop and associated amenities – including cycle hire! – there's mention of 'cycle routes' but are these just access routes on the roads, or family-friendly gravel tracks butchering what will remain of the singletrack?

There'll even be a 'forest experience centre'. Isn't the best forest experience to be out in the forest and not stuck in some pile of concrete where the forest once stood?

Black Wood ain't big, less than 3 square kms by my estimate, and this proposal destroys it, as this shows:
    http://planningapplications.winchester.gov.uk/Planning/686404.pdf
    25% gets developed, the remainder flooded by tourists.

FYI, case numbers 09/01196/SCOPE & 09/01197/SCREEN
    Anyone know what the scoping & screening stage is? Time to raise objections?

More details at
    http://planningapplications.winchester.gov.uk/PlanningWeb/Results.aspx?ID=09/01196/SCOPE then see associated documents.

Ride Black Wood while you can! I'm gonna cry.

podman
    Free Member

Don't cry Brian! As far as I can see the dates on those documents were from last year and the status of the proposal has not changed since 21st July 2009 when the Scoping Opinion document was sent from Winch council to Humberts Leisure.

I've no idea of the normal timelines invloved, but I would have thought that the Environmental Assessment and the Planning Application would have been submitted out before now if they were to continue with their application? The original application was refused on 18th May 2009 and the case linked to appears (to me!) to be for a proposed application less than a month after this date.

Forest Holiday's other locations also seem to be much more… foresty than Black Wood, hopefully they've found somewhere else, bigger and better able to sustain such development. I also really hope it's not going to go ahead from a totally selfish standpoint, it's about 25 minutes by car away from my house and from one ride I thought it was brilliant!

BrianOfWinchester
    Free Member

Bizarre! I found this news item, dated 10 June 2010:
    http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/8210855.Holiday_village_plan_is__threat_to_wildlife___/

When I searched the council planning site, I found those recent applications and saw the June date, and kind of missed the 2009.

Still, that news article says 98 chalets, and that last year's app was for 130. I wonder if they have now submitted a full planning application?

Will have to have another search of the planning apps…

BrianOfWinchester
    Free Member

Found it: 10/01077/FUL. The application has been resubmitted.

http://planningapplications.winchester.gov.uk/PlanningWeb/Results.aspx?ID=10/01077/FUL

Unfortunately the consultation period closed on 3rd June. Might still be worth a letter of objection, though.

cinnamon_girl

98 chalets – lot of money involved in building etc. How can it be worth doing on such a small site?

Presumably there is no link to the development that was refused at Micheldever years ago?

BrianOfWinchester
    Free Member

c_g: saturday from the industrial units?

cinnamon_girl

Just a little reminder for those who are unable to make Wednesday evening's ride – tomorrow morning (Saturday) at 10.00 am, SW edge of Black Wood. Grid ref SU53200 42260. Follow road N from West Stratton to industrial units, there is space here.

DT78
    Free Member

I could be up for joining you guys next week – pretty sure I'm free. Quite fancy trying some where new.

BBB – is there still space in your car for a lift share?

cinnamon_girl

Yes Brian. I will be there, not sure whether my legs will be working but will give it a go!

Edit: will be riding a black Soul, unless it's got a flat.

BrianOfWinchester
    Free Member

blue/silver giant trance for me.
    see you there!

BrianOfWinchester
    Free Member

Who's up for Wednesday, then?
    So far, looks like bikewhisperer and BigBikeBash are definites.
    Maybes are cinnamon_girl, podman, DT78 and Mulletus Maximus (please confirm if you are coming!)

The ground should soak up any rain that comes between now and then. Although there may be some sharp showers, they will be filtered out under the trees – so you get slowly dripped on.

Bring lights if you have them. Start ASAP. Could take a bit more than the 2 hours I originally thought, and with grey skies it'll be gloomy by the end.

Re. the holiday chalets… the council planning site is showing representation letters coming in well after the closure of the consultation period – so if you want to object, it looks like you still have a chance. Posted mine on Saturday.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Going to have to miss this one now. Out on a club ride tonight so won't be able to get a pass for two days in a row plus missus is now working late tomorrow so I won't have a car.
    Enjoy the ride. Hopefully I can make it another time.

podman
    Free Member

I'm still not sure if I'll be there; both myself and my mate who'd be coming with me have tomorrow off work (it's my graduation day!), but he's not likely to want to get too muddy & wet… If the afternoon brightens up and the evening is looking to be wet then I may head up earlier instead, I'll be sure to hang around to introduce myself for future rides though!

What's the expected pace tomorrow? I'm slow. And I crash a lot, usually quite amusingly.

I'll be arriving in a silver Focus ST and riding a black Cotic Simple, say "Hi" if I'm there!

Oh, and this is the route I took last week (clockwise), looks like I missed rather a lot!

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

I am definite and can give DT78 a lift if he says where he wants picking up.

DT78
    Free Member

Ok great – BBB, pretty sure I can remember where your house is so could meet you at yours – what time? Fingers crossed I can finish work early/on time for once.

email is in my profile if you want to swap mobiles.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

DT78 – YGM

BrianOfWinchester
    Free Member

I don't think it will be muddy in there, just a bit damp and heavy.
    I've no idea what everyone's pace will be – I guess we go with the slowest.

Beeb is showing small area of rain passing over probably around 5:00 to 5:30pm, then dry.

podman, looks like you found one of the big bombholes 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

I'm coming along with BBB. Hope we can find it. Do you have a postcode for the satnav?

BrianOfWinchester
    Free Member

try this: SO21 3BG

BrianOfWinchester
    Free Member

…if your satnav is like mine, it'll only be interested in so21 3, leaving you somewhere in the vacinity. You want Larkwhistle Farm Road. Preferably the instersection with the road from West Stratton.

As you come along L.F.Road (between A33 & Micheldever Station) there is a minor crossroads wit the road from West Stratton, you want to turn in, to the north here; there is a "UAP" sign on the corner. Then you are by the industrial units. Park on the access road.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Thanks. I have now found it on Google maps. i just head for Micheldever Tyres and stop before I get there. See you at 6pm

cinnamon_girl

I'm sorry but now not going to be able to make this. 🙁

Stuck in flat pack furniture hell, my two assistants have bu$$ered off to the pub leaving me to sort it out!

Do have a good ride everyone and enjoy those bomb holes. 😀

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Leave the flat pack hell, it will be when you get back from the ride and you will be in a better frame of mind

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks chaps for the ride. Tyre held out till I got home.

Bloody fragile franks.

What tyres for sharp flinty single track….

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Glad you made it! The bit of toothpaste tube is yours to keep 😀

Cheers everyone, esp Brian for the guiding!

Was riding by feel in the end. Will be making some loops around there again I think.

cinnamon_girl

Oh dear! Don't remember much flint there. Never thought there would be so much single track in that wood, did you manage the complete loop?

DT78
    Free Member

Nope 3 of us bailed half way. 2 had to get back including my lift, and I was riding on a tyre which had a bit of inner tube bulging out so was on bought time till it went again!

I would be up for going again. Shame didn't get to the really big bomb holes!

BrianOfWinchester
    Free Member

Two of us completed it at 9:20pm, so about 3 hours round. It was a bit heavy going and quite greasy in places. I managed to fall off near the end – seem to remember bouncing off a tree 🙂 The big bombholes were fun.

C_g, the other 3 bailed same point as Saturday. Looks like we need a "Part 2" trip…

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Definately need a part 2 trip. Plus better tyres. My front was flat by the time I got back to the truck.

Next time I will have got (a little) fitter so won't be quite so slow hopefully. Last night was embarrassing but thanks for waiting and still making it fun.

dobo
    Free Member

is anyone going back to do this again? i had a pop at it without a gps or idea of a route and go lost etc but was fun but tough going. i couldnt figure out a clear circular route but did find some quality bits of trail here and there. can anyone send me a link to a .gpx or something too?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 233 total)

The topic ‘Micheldever Wood / Black Wood near Winchester – worth exploring?’ is closed to new replies.