• This topic has 40 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 41 post (of 41 total)
  • MG Rover – Pheonix 4 "extracted £42m"
  • hora
    Free Member

My MG is 37 years old and still going very well. I'd like you to find a modern car that will survive that long.

Let me explore the myth of bombproof cars.

Why do certain cars survive whilst others don't. Is it because of superior mechanics, design and build quality?

No. Its down to desirability, character and sense of prestige.

For instance a Fiat Punto's clutch and electric windows goes. Does the owner spare no expense as the car is worth keeping/worth something to others if they sell on? No. Hence it receives less and less quality of servicing and replaced parts as it gets older until eventually its a snotter/scrapped. Whereas a car of character is seen as part of the family and looked after.

Of course there are the exceptions but these are treated well throughout their lives/serviced properly as their owners have the income to do this…but even if you start servicing a Audi A4 TDI less (not replacing wear and tear on time) eventualy you'll give up on it when it reaches a certain point.

Cars like '70% of all Landrovers are still on our roads today' are on our roads as people will always replace the bits as they go wrong. Doesnt mean they were actually built any better. How many cars do you replace the petrol tank, regalvanise the chasis and restore, replace the engine/block etc etc again? If you did this with Punto's you'd see loads of old mint ones knocking about.

Same with historic MG's- they are seen as characterful, cherished and worth keeping hence its still on the road 37yrs on… (some arent but I never beleive the bollocks about bombproof cars).

Viewing 41 post (of 41 total)

The topic ‘MG Rover – Pheonix 4 "extracted £42m"’ is closed to new replies.