• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Taz.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Meta 5 + Pikes + Megavalanche = daft?
  • Rockplough
    Free Member

So…

I'm doing this next year. Really looking for advice from people who've been and done it. Do you need to be Mr. Absalon to get down it ok on the above kit? Or should I, as a first-timer, be thinking about something slightly bigger? I see some did it on things like Spesh Pitches but I don't know they found it an ordeal.

Asking in case I need to start saving. 🙂

Many thanks.

schwimoid
    Free Member

Nah ull be sweet on the commencal,

Just did it on a Prophet and Thors and it was awsome, for the mega itself itll be ace, qualifying will be a bit harder (in my opinion anyway) as its more hardcore for a shorter period of time.

A couple of points, dual ply tyres run at 40psi, one of those adjustable seatpins and brakes that are uber powerful.

grumm
    Free Member

I did it on a Pitch and it was fine – loads of people were doing it on metas. Absalom won on a full carbon meta.

Def some dual ply tires, but I ran mine tubeless at about 20-25 PSI and had no flats/burps all week.

mk1fan
    Free Member

It would appear that the 'standard' bike to use is a 6-inch all mountain full susser. Lapierre Zesty or Commencal Meta 6 or similar.

I did it on my Cove Hustler (likw your Meta 5) – albeit casually – with air Pikes and an RP23 and it was awesome. I'd certainly use it again next year when I do it again – a bit more aggresively this time.

I practiced on my Cove Shocker DH bike and it was great on the droppy / techy bits but it's an Trail race not a DH one so being able to pedal the bike is a must.

If I have an option I would have coil forks and shock but unless a bargain Cove G-Spot comes up in my size I'll be on the Hustler again.

grahamt1980

You should be fine on the meta, thats my plan for 2011 anyway.
    Can't do it next year, work will be a bit funny with me taking a week off 4 weeks before I am off for 3 months, so the mega and mountain of hell double for 2011

Rockplough
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Consider me reassured, and glad I don't have to pony up for frame/forks. 😀

I_Ache
    Free Member

Friend of mine did it on an old 4.2" Trance with coil Pikes and he said it was great. Crazy arm pump tho.

kimbers

6 inch will be more comfortable than 5, though plenty doable ive done it on a kona bear with 130mm floats, twice
    someone said here that they plan to make the mega more gnarly DH ie like the qualifier next year, cant remember who

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I rode the track on my hardtail so you should be fine on a meta with pikes, the main thing is to get the forks set up sweet, perhaps push tuned, should help a bit with the arm pump. Your legs dont matter so much

The track isnt very gnarly and there wasnt really any braking bumps when i did it. I didnt race but I imagine the hardest part is being fit enough to be able to concentrate on the narrow singletrack parts without falling off.

SigmaF
    Free Member

…did it on a Meta 5 with Pikes this year!!

Depends on what you what to achieve results wise really…

I've got an 09 and found it a little steep on the lower switchbacks and the rp23 was a little too inconsistent for my uber faffing set-up….super light build though so great to pedal!!

I'm doing it again next year but prob on a 6" with coils fr&Rr…..the Coils pikes up front are fine though…just run them with a 66 or 67 deg head angle…

If you're not too fussed about rear shock consistency then you'll be okay with the rp23 too…

BUT – if you've got a larger bike for the quali….then use it…oh, and don't forget to get a UCI license….you'll be provided with a better position on the quali grid!!

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

u should be fine on that…i mk1fan…was the dh bike light blue? lol thier wernt many coves out thier…i was on a g-spot and found it perfect except i noticed other people had an advantage on the pedaly bits…but i think i made up for it in fitness.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Honestly not too fussed about results given it'll be my first time out. As long as I'm not totally underbiked. My Pikes are airs but I expect they'll be ok?

ahwiles
    Free Member

it sounds like you've got the perfect set-up, if you're going for the win…

jeff

I have a meta 5 with coil pikes, but I used my coilair with Lyriks for the mega.

I wanted something a bit more solid and with a touch more travel, but I'm heavy and have broken a few things including my original Meta frame (the Mk1 version before they beefed up the top tube/head tube join).

Taz

You won't be 'under biked' but the majority will be on slightly bigger /burlier set ups.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Meta 5 + Pikes + Megavalanche = daft?’ is closed to new replies.