• This topic has 40 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 6 days ago by biff.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Merlinman of the Parish
  • Drac

A bit of a tough one to write this as Merlinman (Rob) is a good friend who I’ve known for around 23 years now thanks to this very forum.

Rob has been receiving on going investigations and treatments follow prostate problems which started a few years ago. He contacted me last night with the very sad news that unfortunately cancer has now spread into his kidneys and pelvis, that there is no effective treatment for this. He is now starting palliative care with his wife supporting him and McMillian with them.

Rob is genuinely one of life’s nice guys, a gentleman, a story teller, a reliable friend to talk to and who will help where he can. I’ve had many a gathering with him, a catchup in a pub or as recently over the phone where his voice and wisdom has supported me over the last few months.

Can we all join in a round of F… Cancer!

Tonight I will raise a glass to my friend.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Yeh, **** cancer.

didnthurt

F@@# you cancer!

I’ll raise a glass tonight. Thoughts with Rob and his family.

matt_outandabout

ffs.

lowey

Shit news. Thoughts with Rob and his family and friends.

duncancallum

**** cancer indeed.

Thoughts with Rob.

Speshpaul

Double f##k cancer.

Rob, sending you some love from the Shire.

BillMC

Great man, a gent, he introduced me and my wife to some great rides and people.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Yes **** it. Not literally, that might be painful. Love to Rob and his nearest and dearest.

Cougar

Oh, shit.

I don’t really know what to say to that aside from echoing others’ sentiments.

Appreciate the update.

tomlevell

I shall wear the relevant socks on tonights shop ride and brewery stop.

crazy-legs

😥

I knew he’d been unwell. Horrible news. Best wishes to Rob & family.

simondbarnes

**** cancer indeed. Have spent some wonderful times with him over the years.

jimmy

Heartbreaking news.

We’ve just lost someone this week to very similar circumstances as you’ve written. Pete was a best friend to everyone he knew,  great company, sense of adventure, a total gentleman and committed family man. Taken by the big C far too early with a lot of life left to live.

F… Cancer indeed.

EDIT: I hesitated whether to add this, but I’d signed up for a Race for Life next weekend which is now all the more apt. It could be an emotional one.

https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/page/jamess-race-for-life-32746859237

blokeuptheroad

Sorry to hear this **** cancer indeed!

BillOddie

**** Cancer indeed!

Rob is a true gent and I’ll raise a glass to him tonight.

footflaps

Very sad. **** cancer!

nbt

that’s shit news. I’ll raise a glass tonight

Philby

F*** Cancer! Thoughts with Rob and his family.

I had prostate cancer a couple of years ago but had a prostatecomy before it metastasized, and I was only diagnosed by accident as I had no symptoms and it only came to light as part of another medical intervention.

A good friend who normally lives in France was staying with me a couple of weeks ago and was complaining of severe pain in her side. Fortunately she was still registered with her GP and after a couple of tests was sent to local oncology centre where secondary bone cancer was diagnosed – she has had breast cancer twice before – and is now at the Royal Marsden having a stomach drain and trying to find the primary cancer.

Please sign the petition for prostate screening – https://www.prostate-cancer-research.org.uk/prostate-cancer-screening-petition/

funkmasterp

Another big **** cancer here too.

scaredypants

Never met the guy, but thoughts & best wishes with him and his family

**** cancer indeed – good news around melanoma vaccine trials today so your race-for-life money is well spent, @jimmy.  Donated in honour of Rob and those STWers who’ve gone before him

Sandwich

**** Cancer

All the best to Rob and family

munrobiker
    Free Member

Rob was really kind to me when I started hanging around the forum as a kid. He was friendly, generous and his teasing was always light hearted. He was always a positive force on the forum. Thanks for the update Drac – it’s really sad news.

jimmy

Thanks @Scaredypants

I went to a session with CRUK where they talked about the work they do. It was genuinely fascinating – by an ex-research scientist who now spreads the word for CRUK. Helped that he was funny and able to articulate to amazing research work in a relatable way. I’m convinced its absolutely worth donating to them (and not just to boost my numbers).

scaredypants

… course, what they should probably spend more money on is pressurising government into maintaining a better NHS provision.  UK is slipping behind in comparison to lots of “peer” countries

Poopscoop

Sadly I don’t know Rob.

My thoughts are with him, his family and all the people that will be very sad to hear this news. It sounds like there are many.

(Good luck with the Race for Life, Jimmy.)

Drac

He was friendly, generous and his teasing was always light hearted.

He has a wicked and dry sense of humour.

CountZero

Very sorry to read this, Rob’s username is one I’m very familiar with from my years on the forum, so I’m very sad to hear about this. My very best wishes to Rob and his family.

stevemakin

IMG_3776

BillMC

Maverick Ml7, Rob tipped me off to get the same (still have it. Greate bike).

Drac

@stevemakin you just know some profanity was going to be whispered as he rode past.

kelvin

Rob is a **** star. One of the best.

crazy-legs

Rob is a **** star. One of the best.

This ^^. One of the very first STW “crew”, there right from the beginning of the mag and the forum. Always one of the 24hr stalwarts as well, he was at every Mountain Mayhem and SITS.

P20

Never met him, but he always came across well and seemed loved by those close to him. Its shit news and I hope the palliative works for him.

BigJohn

Bloody love Robin. We met on many Sideways Thursday night rides around Macc forest, Hancurch woods and the like and I never forget he was there to make us all breakfast at the end of one of Tim Johnson’s Sideways Midnight rides. And the 2 tickets to Turin Breaks he gave to Mrs BigJohn and me when he couldn’t go.

Fond memories, Merlinman. May your journey be bright and pure.

Merlinman

Cheered greatly by those comments 🫶🏻

I’ve no indication yet of the timescale of things to come, but we are making moves in readiness. Medics suggest weeks/months.

My current greatest anxiety is a collection of biking mags and books, a bike room containing my beloved Merlin Mountain, Salsa Fargo, Genesis Vapour + boxes of spares (mostly new) – oh and every copy of Singletrack World mag. !!!

Help me out to free up valuable space, please 🙏  There will be generous donations to the STW survival fund 🤞🏻

rob.fisk@ntlworld.com

Dickyboy

Sorry Rob that I can’t help relieve you of your cycling stash and I don’t know you from Adam, but I wish you & your family all the best in the coming months. I hope you & they get the best care possible.

onehundredthidiot

To quote a great literary mind of our time, this should be applied to the big C.

**** right off.
    And when you have **** off, go **** off some more.
    And then keep on **** off until you have **** off as far as you can.
    And the go **** yourself some more.

Drac

IMG_0896

And yes I did raise a glass and pondered back to some great meet ups.

Makin we need to a catch up, no **** about by either of us this time now we’re both retired.

stevemakin

Drac, got a bit going on at the moment including a house move but once everything settles I’ll be in touch

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.