Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Mer car polish – anyone still recommend this stuff?
  • dickydownes
    Free Member

Used to use this religiously but for the last few years haven’t bothered with the washing of my car.

Used to always see it demonstrated at motorbike shows etc. by the same guy with a moustache!!

Just wondered if anyone still recommended this?

Or other recommendations please?

wolly
    Free Member

Much better out there Imo what are you trying to do? Polish/wax both?

Rockplough
    Free Member

Haha! I remember those Mer demos at motorshows. Guy had a bonnet or something, and would set it on fire at one point. My Dad used it, but that was years and years ago.

bigyim
    Free Member

I still use this stuff. I don’t think you can knock it. Only difference is they don’t spend all their money on shiney bottles and advertising.
    (17 years painting cars so I know about shiney shiney)

dickydownes
    Free Member

Got a new car so I have those initial worries about trying to keep it clean (it won’t last!!) so just looking for something to wash on and wipe off.

joolsburger
    Free Member
    jamesfts
    Free Member

Have used it in the past but heard it was too abrasive/aggressive a polish to use regularly and could damage paint if used too often. Don’t know how much truth there is in that but it did give a decent enough finish.

Northwind

I stopped cleaning my cars and bikes but I’d probably still use it if I did. It’s out of favour with “detailers” (by which I mean diyers not professionals) I think because it’s too easy and quick to use, and not expensive enough.

jools182
    Free Member

joolsburger +1

Collinite is what you want, the surface has to be good first though, so most people recommend using an abrasive polish first, or claying the car, to get rid of all the nasty stuff stuck to the paint

It lasts a long time, even after a few months, give your car a good wash and it looks freshly waxed

muddodger
    Free Member

I’ve used it for years, although just noticed they do both a polish and a wax. Anyone care to explain the difference as I thought they were the same.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Anyone care to explain the difference as I thought they were the same.

Wax adds a layer of wax which is shiny and acts as a protective layer

Polish takes off the roughness from the paint leaving less swirl marks and scratches making it look shiny

Basically Wax adds a layer and polish removes a layer. Both leave it looking shiny

plus-one

Mer like a lot of car polish uses a chalky fine abrasive ingredient that does a decent job but is essentially leaving fine scratches in your paint 🙁

Used it for years myself as I knew no different !!! Last few years I’ve invested in some good quality car care and built up a good kit …

For a good one stop finish(on clean paintwork) this is spot on ..

Doesn’t leave the impossible to remove white marks on black trim 😉

http://www.zainoeurope.com/zaino/z-aio-all-in-one/prod_2.html

strike
    Free Member

Polish actually cuts in to the paint VERY slightly, whereas wax gives a shiny (for want of a better phrase) layer.

Meguiars gets my vote – all of their products are really good (and not stupidly expensive).

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just for the record, clay bars also take off the paint. Very slightly.

The idea is to get the paint as smooth as possible by removing all surface contaminants and tiny scratches (Polish and clay) and then put a protective layer over the top (wax).

Poor Boys Black Hole is great to remove swirl marks from black (dark) cars and then Meguires Ultimate Liquid Wax.

Makes my cars nice and shiny if IO take them to car shows / meets

Daffy

Let’s be clear, “polish” covers a lot products and they’re not all the same. Most, (but not all) contain a small compound which is designed to breakdown under load and heat into smaller and smaller particles. These particles then abraid and fill the surface of the cars clear coat providing a smooth glassy surface which maximises reflectivity.

Yiu can then seal the cars paint using your sealer of choice, be that wax, acrylic or nano. Colinite 476 is hard wearing, but not particularly shiny.

Daffy

Poor Boys Black Hole is great to remove swirl marks from black (dark) cars and then Meguires Ultimate Liquid Wax.

Case in point, PBBH doesn’t remove swirls, it just masks them IME.

renton
    Free Member

Black hole contains lots of fillers so just masks swirls.

You can’t compare mer polish to collinite wax. Two different products for two different jobs.

A clay bar will not remove paint. It is designed to remove contaminants that are stuck to the paint. It may be useful to remove overspray but it will definitely not remove your car’s factory paintwork.

To remove swirls you need a decent polish that does not contain fillers,then you need a decent wax or sealant to protect the paint.

Then brush up on your car washing technique so you don’t inflict swirls in the first place.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Sorry, I should have qualified that.

Poor Boys Black Hole is great to remove (the visible signs of) swirl marks from black (dark) cars and then Meguires Ultimate Liquid Wax. The result is a shiny black car with no (visible signs of) swirl marks.

nealglover
    Free Member

Just for the record, clay bars also take off the paint. Very slightly.

As above, clay bar doesn’t remove paint at all, or swirl marks.

(It can easily cause swirl marks if you don’t know how to use it properly though)

renton
    Free Member

Yep never ever use a clay that’s been dropped.

It’s is primarily used to remove bonded contaminants and what ever protection you put on beforehand.

Do you mean meguiars worldclass ;););)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

As above, clay bar doesn’t remove paint at all, or swirl marks.

Agree that it should not remove paint as it glides the paint but as soon as it picks up contaminates it will drag these across your paint and these will remove the paint. I guess if you properly lube the paint before hand and change your clay with each pass over the paint it won’t but back in the land of reality that doesn’t happen and the result is that the paint is removed, but as I said originally, very slightly.

The clay is not meant to remove the paint but using it in anything other than ideal conditions has that effect

🙂 Yes, I can’t type Magwyres but hopefully they guessed what I meant 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

The clay is not meant to remove the paint but using it in anything other than ideal conditions has that effect

Not sure about that, but I’ve no idea what you technique is like so maybe that’s your experience of it.

Some things are best left to professionals 😉

renton
    Free Member

Clay bar will never ever remove paint. What will happen is that it picks up bits of rubbish and then scratches your paint.

If you have got paint on your bar after using it you are doing something very wrong.

Inbred456
    Free Member

I thought Mer was more to restore old and faded paint if your car is new just use a good shampoo and then wax not polish. Polish is slightly abrasive so normally once a year if needed. I can recommend anything by Maguiars.

renton
    Free Member

There are a lot of other non mainstream brands to chose from as well.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Mer car polish – anyone still recommend this stuff?’ is closed to new replies.