Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Mendip riders – WInscombe Drove upgrade to bridleway
  • DoctorRad
    Free Member

Anyone know what happened with this please?

DoctorRad
    Free Member

This is looking positive: http://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/cairo/docs/doc21319.pdf

Look at all that map evidence…!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Thanks for the homework. Good to know the council has decided its worth giving it a try.

I’ve been told by both ROW officers (including Elaine – the Author) that its a virtual certainty that the recommendation will be appealed.

This is just the beginning.

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve been exploring Crook Peak and the surrounding area on foot with the dog the last two days and searching for info about it. Never knew there was such amazing scenery so close by.

spanners
    Free Member

Its a foot path and should be fully respected as such. Its this kind of illegal riding that gives us all a bad name. If I was the landowner I’d shoot you all on sight and feed you to the big Alsation dog that lives at the end of the land.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

The interesting thing to come out of the Winscombe Drove case is that the landowners tried to close the stable door after the horse had bolted, as ’twere. They only put up notices etc in the 90s, AFTER the initial application had been made to upgrade to a bridleway. Before then, it seems, they weren’t really making much of an effort to stop people using it on horseback.

This is hardly the beginning – that was 20 years ago when the initial application went in…! Very much hope this one succeeds, it will provide a great new link across the central section of the Mendips.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

This is hardly the beginning – that was 20 years ago when the initial application went in…!

Yes, I know. But nothing happened with it because they were processing previous applications. Thats right – a 20 year waiting list.

Perhaps you mis-understand me. This is only the start of the legal process. My children could well be adults by the time its finished, although, if it goes to the secretary of state, it could actually be determined pretty quickly if the other one (Barton drove?) is anything to go by.

daved
    Free Member

As of the 7th April, Somerset County Council have made an order to upgrade the definitive map to show their section of the drove road as bridleway.

The order will be published in the local press and a period of 42 days allowed for objections ….

Cheers

Dave

allthepies
    Free Member

Rock!

a period of 42 days allowed for objections ….

Redsox alert!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Nice one Dave.

I was going to get round to this later today, but you beat me to it.
    😆

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

When you say “their section” does this mean only part of the drove could be upgraded?

Had my first run in with the loony woman who partrols it earlier this month, wouldnt put me off riding it again, but I could do without that sort of confrontation on my bike.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

agent, the drove is split between North Somerset and Somerset.

She’s a delight isn’t she.

daved
    Free Member

Slightly different subject Scienceofficer,

There is a footpath running through Winterhead which I believe went through SCC on the same day for some sort of decision (upgrade?). Do you know anything about that?

Cheers

Dave

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I know the one you mean.

It was mentioned in general conversation when I went for my evidence interview, but no, I’ve not heard nothing about that one.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Mendip riders – WInscombe Drove upgrade to bridleway’ is closed to new replies.