Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • memory map and garmin issue
  • simba
    Free Member

anyone having problems linking a garmin geko to memory map? just keeps saying it cant open com port? Grr getting annoyed as i actually got it working once now its gone again XIX

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Simba – there the problem lies in your above post. I had a similar issue with TomTom and MemoryMap. It probably is because your Garmin is hogging the com port that memorymap needs. My fix was to uninstall TomTom when I wanted to use MemoryMap. This freed up the com port for the blue tooth for whatever application used it. If I needed TomTom, I would just reinstall the cab file and viola! Not ideal, but it worked.

Failing this there are virtual com port sharing apps out there (if you are using windows based pda/gadget?) Google it.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

…or try and assign the MemoryMap application to an alternative com port that Garmin does not use? Not sure if this is possible?

bananaworld
    Free Member

I believe I have the solution, Simba…

I had the EXACT same situation: it worked once and then stopped working.

Open up Device Manager, assuming Windows (either Run "devmgmt.msc" or find Device Manager in Control Panel > Hardware).

Expand "Ports (COM & LPT)" and it'll say "something-or-other (COM#)" where # is a number you need to know.

In Memory Map: GPS > GPS Setup and under "Serial Port" select a port that matches your COM#.

Should be fine then.

Let us know how it goes, if it goes…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘memory map and garmin issue’ is closed to new replies.