Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Measuring fork travel
  • Skyliner
    Free Member

Finally got some Float 140's arrive today (ebay) but the axle to crown is 10mm shorter than my 130's. Would this measurement dictate the travel of a fork (in the thinking that a longer fork should raise the headtube). Or shall I cable tie the stanchion and let the air out and compress. I really need to be sure before I contact the seller, would Fox know if I gave them the serial number?

Splash-man
    Free Member

Just do as you mention. It could be that some of the travel is taken up with negative travel.(Not sure how the floats work but it can happen on other makes)
    Take all the air out of all the chambers and test them as you say.

Skyliner
    Free Member

Cheers Splash-man, just need to be sure as I say. I cant imagine ebay getting involved technically if I need to raise a not as described case.

BTW – can anybody tell me their A to C length of their 140 floats? Would help considerably!! 🙂

rudedog
    Free Member

sounds like they may have been reduced to 120mm with a 20mm spacer.

I think the axle to crown of my floats is 510mm – the floats do have a small axle to crown height compared to other forks though.

tron
    Free Member

My 100mm Marzocchis are more or less the same axle to crown length as my old 80mm Marzocchis.

Skyliner
    Free Member

Cheers rudedog, your floats being 140mm (sorry to state the obvious)?

rudedog
    Free Member

Sorry, yes – they are 140mm (2009 model)

Three_Fish
    Free Member

What is the distance between the wiper seal and the top of the stanchion?

Skyliner
    Free Member

143mm from wiper to top of stanchion. The cable tie test shows travel to the stops at 135mm bizarre!!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

If you have 143mm of stanchion showing, you have approx. that amount of available travel. It's a Fox air fork, so you're unlikely to ever achieve it, but 143mm visible suggests that the fork is intended to have the 140mm of travel you bought it for.

Skyliner
    Free Member

Result!! Thanks all 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Measuring fork travel’ is closed to new replies.