Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • McDonalds sues Florence
  • convert

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37910431%5D

Interesting debate – should a council be able to prevent a certain sort of business from setting up as it effectively lowers the tone?

I’m with Florence on this one – Florence’s touristic USP is being, well, Florence and all things Italian. You don’t want that watered down by low rent american filth.

frankconway

I’m with you – and Florence

MSP

It is a tough one, generally I would say no they shouldn’t. They should however be able to make sure that the business doesn’t effect the wanted environment visually or in other ways which could make it difficult for a fast food business. Or maybe have limits on the number of similar establishments so as to ensure diversity. But stopping mcdonalds because they are mcdonalds is pretty poor, and IMO would be representative of a highly corruptable system.

13thfloormonk

This sounds like exactly the sort of case that people were worried about TTIP/CETA enabling, large corporations suing governments over loss of profit.

Of course for it to be ‘discrimination’ would mean McDonald’s believe that the council’s rejection of their proposal is ‘unjust’ or ‘prejudicial’. Could result in an interesting argument.

km79
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37910431

I would side with Florence, wish some of our local authorities would restrict what/who they let in to do business.

molgrips
    Free Member

Pretty sure towns can do this in the UK. Seem to remember Ludlow tried to resist an in town Tesco for years, and don’t let chains in. They conceded a Costa although I am not sure why. It’s always rammed.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m with Florence, obvz.

There are plenty of areas outside the main “city” part of Florence that McD could put an outlet.. plenty. Near the train station would be good, its a bit of a shithole and could do with encouraging new business into the area.

whitestone
    Free Member

The City of Chester refused to let McDonald’s put up a neon sign outside their cafe, they had to use a painted wooden one like everyone else. Don’t know if this is still the case.

scotroutes

Really? I guess casual racism is OK if its about Americans though.

If they’re against another eatery because there already too many then fair enough. There are planning laws that can be used to control what the visual impact of a development is. They’re surely more appropriate.

There you go….

Anyway, what has Dougal got to say on the matter?

jamesfts
    Free Member

Lucca wouldn’t let them put one inside the city walls too. I’m with Florence on this one too.

vinnyeh

Presumably McDonalds are suing because they believe that they’ve modified their plan for this outlet sufficiently to meet the council’s requirements.

But McDonald’s, which modified its proposals to fit with city guidelines, has now launched a bid for damages.

It argues it put forward a plan to “operate respectfully towards the local policies, even accepting to introduce typical local products in our offer, as requested from the local commerce regulation”.

Surely refusing McDonalds the right to an outlet simply because it is McDonalds runs counter to acceptable practice?

He told the city council earlier this year: “McDonald’s has the right to submit an application, because this is permitted under the law, but we also have the right to say no.”

Disclaimer: I’m sure my position is founded on naivete and ignorance.

convert

I guess casual racism is OK if its about Americans though.

McDonalds’s output is cheap (low rent), founded in American (american) and barely recognisable as food (filth). Point me to the casual racism if you may?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

McChavdonalds should be barred from everwhere AFAIC.

RobHilton
    Free Member

molgrips

They conceded a Costa although I am not sure why. It’s always rammed.

Pressure from people like you who drink that shite :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Harp Lane Deli coffee FTW!!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

So where are those shouting down the people of Florence for being thick, Xenophobic racist peodo’s who eat baby fox’s for breakfast for not embracing multi-culturism and tolerating the customs of immigrants?

The reality is many many people are choosing to eat American filth over the over priced local Italian food and Gelato so the people are voting with their bellies and wallets. Having said that even if you take American filth out of Florence there would still be alot of their own home-grown Italian filth, alot worse than a Big Mac and three times the price. This is the thing about free countries – people want alsorts of things for many different reasons and a variety of choices.

Florence is a lovely city, I much preferred it to Rome, but my memories of that place do not include McDonalds, i can’t recall seeing one let alone eating in one, so it’s not as if it is squeezing out local culture – people still leave Florence with miniature statues of David rather than a McDonalds Helium filled balloon. Stinks of protectionism and corruption to me.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

The City of Chester refused to let McDonald’s put up a neon sign outside their cafe, they had to use a painted wooden one like everyone else. Don’t know if this is still the case.

I’ll pop out and check, can’t see it being true as the city planners are the biggest bunch of idiots on the planet. The city centre is bloody horrible.
    And no, governments at whichever level should not be able to be bullied by organisations.
    EDIT: And I’ll rest my case on the appallingness of Chester planners as the two large windows in the building to the left that abutts the Town Hall is, in fact, a McDonald’s. 😯

choppersquad
    Free Member

I couldn’t believe there was a McDonald’s right next to the Rialto Bridge in Venice. It was packed.

molgrips
    Free Member

Food can be filthy, however the fact it is American in origin should not matter should it?

I’ve had much worse food than McDonald’s that could easily be described as ethnically British. Very dodgy ping sausages, watery beans and cheap white toast etc.

I’ve also had shit pasta in Italy. And dodge meatballs with instant mash in Sweden. McDonald’s was better than any of it.

slowoldman

convert » low rent american filth.

Really? I guess casual racism is OK if its about Americans though.

[/quote]
    I wasn’t about Americans though was it? It was about an American product. I don’t think racism applies when mentioning the country of origin of an inanimate object.

Anyway I think I found who protested.

convert

however the fact it is American in origin should not matter should it?

I disagree – it’s the crux of it (actually not entirely the crux – there’s the low quality fast food element too). As I said in the OP the centre (as in the touristic centre not the commercial centre) of Florence’s USP is being very culturally Italian. In the same way that one of London’s USPs is the multicultural nature. People go there to be immersed. That’s what I meant by watering down. As mentioned already there is plenty of the remainder of the city where it would be of no consequence. If fact google says there are already 8 in Florence.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I don’t think racism applies when mentioning the country of origin of an inanimate object

Of course it applies, how else is this thread going to be turned into the usual multiple page argument if it doesn’t 😉

I’m sure brexit is involved somewhere too 😆

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

There are certainly two mc donalds’ at and oposite the main train station already so this is about sticking one in the particular location rather than “In Florence” i guess?

slowoldman

Of course it applies, how else is this thread going to be turned into the usual multiple page argument if it doesn’t

Of course. Sorry. As you were.

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, with Florence on this one 🙂

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Difficult to get behind the keeping it traditional and authentic angle when one corner of the same piazza hosts a “walls magnum” shop and elsewhere a lindt one, hardly italian unless ice cream and chocolate are automatically italian.

5thElefant
    Free Member

So where are those shouting down the people of Florence for being thick, Xenophobic racist peodo’s who eat baby fox’s for breakfast for not embracing multi-culturism and tolerating the customs of immigrants?

😀

MoreCashThanDash

I seem to recall that across the square from the Duomo (sp?) in Milan a few years back you could clearly see the Golden Arches in all their glory.

I have no problems with McDonalds being in “nice” places, but they have to fit in architecturally, even if just by smaller more discreet signage.

Sui
    Free Member

McDonalds does well in Italy, as perversely Italians love sh1t food, they love nothing more than to go down to maccyD’s, or eat in some dog horrible cafe. This comes from very close to home experience, it’s weird i don’t get it, the family cook wicked food yet destroy their tastebuds on rubbish.. weirdos (lovely weirdos though)..

breadcrumb

I’m pretty sure Keswick said no to McDonald’s?

Northwind

Don’t really know why companies think they have the right to do anything tbh. They’re not losing money here- they’re just discovering that there was never an opportunity to make money, and apparently not really understanding how that can possibly happen, and why local authorities aren’t begging them to come.

ocrider

Sui, that’s equally applicable to the French.
    There are great restaurants, but for every one there are a dozen burger, kebab or shite pizza outlets.

Edukator
    Free Member

If McDo’ in Florence has the prices displayed and then charges the price displayed the restaurant will already be one up on almost every other place in Florence.

I like McDonald’s: locally produced ingredients, jobs for students, a menu as healthy or as unhealthy as the choices you make, predictable reasonable pricing everywhere, no-hassle from staff. If I just want a no-fuss feed in an unfamiliar town it’s a McDo’.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I love Florence and Tuscany.

Italian food mmm.

McDonalds is great for curing constipation.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Don’t really know why companies think they have the right to do anything tbh. They’re not losing money here- they’re just discovering that there was never an opportunity to make money, and apparently not really understanding how that can possibly happen, and why local authorities aren’t begging them to come.

If they’re successful though i may write to apple requesting sole distribution rights globaly for their products then sure them for damages when they refuse and i don’t turn a profit on my plans.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve been into McDonald’s three times in my life: first time was in the States possibly before they appeared in the UK, had a big mac, thought it was dire; second time was when working with a kid with cerebral palsy, had chips; third time was to meet an architect as it was the only place with big enough tables open early in the AM, had a cup of tea. Never been into Burger King or Pizza Hut. Remember pestering my mum to take me to Kentucky Fried Chicken when they arrived in the UK (this will have been late 1960s?), never been in one since. Oh, been into Subway once as well.

molgrips
    Free Member

You must be soo awesome then 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

Nah, the local curry house knows my voice I ring up that often!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Massive thumbs up to Florence 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

i’m not against McDs. will occasionally grab something if time is an issue.

far fewer McDs in Italy than in Austria and Germany….

however, outside of the main cities i’ve always found Italian eateries to be reasonably priced and of good quality.

whenever i visit a McDs i usually end up spending 7-9€ (unless just grabbing a burger for 1€). you can generally have a decent sit-down meal for 6-7€ plus 2-3€ for a drink.

i too, am with Florence on this. maybe all those in agreement with the town should donate 1€. they would soon be able to pay off McD (not that they should be paying them off, IMO).

sparksmcguff

Loved the mayors quote on this, “McDonalds are free to make make an application and we are free to refuse it”.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘McDonalds sues Florence’ is closed to new replies.