Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • MBUK: The worst freebie ever in the history of the universe?
  • wallop

I miss Doddy’s gurning.

It’s all about the “pout and stare” these days – check his twitter profile pic….

binners

MBR bottle opener was defo the bestest.

Out of interest: does anyone know anyone who’s ever bought those mags where you build an actual size model of an F-16, or a U boat, in 6000 weekly installments?

Every time I see them advertised I wonder who the hell would even contemplate buying them? I’ve come to the conclusion that it has to be some form of convoluted tax evasion vehicle. Anyone….?

tomhoward

I (well my dad did for me) did about 20 yrs ago. Built an airfix tornado 🙂

Probably cost as much as a real one!

GrahamS

Out of interest: does anyone know anyone who’s ever bought those mags where you build an actual size model of an F-16, or a U boat, in 6000 weekly installments?

Free with Issue 1: the sole of the captain’s left shoe*

Special Introductory Issue Price – just 50p**

(* Heel to follow in later issue).
    (** Standard Price: £9)

bencooper
    Free Member

A newsagent mate told me once that, with those series things, the number of people buying each issue dropped off rapidly – when it got too low the publisher just cancelled it and if anyone moaned they sent them a refund. Still very profitable.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Mint sauce keyring
    Can I borrow it?

No. I’m going to use it to make some cufflinks that may end up looking more like roadkill than a cartoon sheep and then attempt to rip off some poor saps who think sheep shaped cufflinks would be a good idea*

*they were cufflinks weren’t they?

Rubber_Buccaneer

No. I’m going to use it to make some cufflinks

Oooh I may be interested in a pair. How much and will I have them by christmas? 🙂

Northwind

Depends. Which Christmas?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Which Christmas?

Jones?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

[/quote]MBR bottle opener was defo the bestest.

Still have mine!

binners

Still got mine as well Bravissimo. Its seen some action too 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not sure whether I’ve just forgotten or never figured out what the other slot is for…

binners

Its a very valid question!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wudyajusslookatitdough.

Innit lovely. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I thought it was some sort of spoke key thingy.

Ladders
    Free Member

Brake disc straightener?

julianwilson
    Free Member

I thought the flipflops were suprisingly robust for something you get on the front of a magazine. I have a few bottle openers from mags which are ace. That bright green “puncure pod” thing lives on albeit closed with an elastic band nowadays, and I have had loads of gear cables and energy bars/drinks oevr the years. I like the pretend Buffs, but not so fussed about the union jack one on MBUK this month.

Small freebies that are made well are best (ie small stuff you might just pay a quid or two in a bike shop for), rather than the walllets, multitools, bendy tyre levers ie all the stuff you probably have but paid a bit more for examples that actually work.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

spoke key

yep still got mine with me right now . . .

worst was mbuk multi-tool, fell apart into a 100 pieces as soon a i tried to use it . . .

mbuk is a lot better nowadays

Northwind

Don’t think it’s a spoke key- I’ve got a Coors Light one somewhere that has the same wee thing on the edge.

kayak23

never figured out what the other slot is for…

To open ringpulls i thought, so as not to damage ones nail extensions.

Gorehound
    Free Member

That wallet thing in the September issue of MBUK has to be the worst freebie ever.

GrahamS

To open ringpulls i thought, so as not to damage ones nail extensions.

Yep. For the ladies.

Or at least the sort of ladies that prefer a can of Super to a bottle.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah, I see. Immagonna use it on my next can. I’ve just had a manureicare.

GrahamS

Yeah I’ve always pictured you with a French tip darcy 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You’re clearly masturbating too much Gee2DaEss 😀

GrahamS

Dammit, did I forget to turn my webcam off again?

Don’t judge me! It’s perfectly natural. 😳

And the spaniel likes it.

nicko74

that was a running gag in the Museum of Everything. “Build your own lifesize France over 62,000 weekly part works…”

Bravissimo. Its seen some action too

Pretty much what it’s for, no? I assume you mean the catalogue?

duckman

Did MBR not also do a flat bottle opener, that was useful…that rain cape…Also STW; WHERE IS MY DISCOUNT CARD!

tomhoward

I *think* I may have the only STW discount card. In. The. World. *smug face* :mrgreen:

rOcKeTdOg

I got a “credit card” sized card with my STW sub, is that the fabled discount card? Goodness knows where it is though

Sandwich

Tom sorry to rain on your parade, but I also have one of those discount cards! There may be more too.

tomhoward

‘This is my STW discount card. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my STW discount card, I am nothing. Without me, my STW discount card is nothing.’

beanieripper
    Free Member

you lot cant be drinking too much beer (expensive wine i suspect), my bottle opener was all good till about a year ago when i realised it wouldnt open bottles anymore because it had literally worn away…rubbish

rOcKeTdOg

The MBR rain cap was “won” by the most pathetic crasher in our group and had to be worn in the apré ride pub

tthew

I keep my MBR rain cape in the bottom of my bag for emergencies. Hope I never need it in anger!

I still also use the flat MBR bottle opener/key ring at work. I letter stamped my name into the back of it so I get them back if when lost.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I have a ST discount card. Never used it but have one.

Also have an old flat freebie bottle opener. Use it to open paint tins. Its great.

piemonster

Surely the worst thing about an MBR or MBUK free gift is the magazine attached to it?

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

X-Ray glasses free with the Beezer in the 60’s

Well chuffed with them until they split and found it was just a feather between the coloured selophane that made me think I was looking at everyones skeletal forms

In my defence I was only about six years old

GrahamS

I have a ST discount card. Never used it but have one.

Likewise. I’ve never seen the free t-shirt/socks/golden-snitch though. 😀

Coyote
    Free Member

*sits stroking STW Premier Card whilst wearing STW t-shirt and little else*

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘MBUK: The worst freebie ever in the history of the universe?’ is closed to new replies.