Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Maxxis minion single ply tubeless questions..
  • martinxyz
    Free Member

I havent tried this combo before so im wondering if any of you have experience of running single ply dhfs on xt tubeless wheels at all? Or any of the other shimano tubeless rims? I take it the correct amount of stans fluid would be the safest way to go but has anyone found they could get away with less than recommended or needed a bit more?

Also wondering how well it stays on the rim around 25psi compared to the likes of a proper tubeless tyre under hard cornering in burpy moments. Stans is the fluid i would probably be using but open to any other suggestions… other than that pink zefal strawberry milkshake stuff!

thanks

Martin

gamo
    Free Member

Set up a Minion dhf 60a folder on a friends xt rim recently, went up with a track pump no probs,he runs it just below 30psi and hasn’t had any burps. Use the recommended amount of sealant.

Vortexracing

Used High Roller, Larsen TT and Ardents all single ply on both 355’s and 5.2 rims with no problems at all.

In fact just mounted a 2.5 Minion Single Ply 3C on my 5.1 and it went on with no probs at all.

Monkey-Boy
    Free Member

Sorry for the slight hijack. For mounting the minions on the DT 5.1s were you using rim strips or just Stan’s yellow tape? Or something else?

martinxyz
    Free Member

Sounddd. Thanks folks!

Vortexracing

I used the DT swiss rim strips. (red plastic Ones)

and my post should have read DT5.1 😳

doug_basqueMTB.com

Hey Martin!

I’m running 819’s (front) / 823’s (rear) so it’s not XT. I run a singleply 2.35 minion up front and have found it good. Ripped a tyre a few times but really had to work at that! The tyre will mark on the sidewall, a sort of crosshatch pattern and that gets worse with age until it rips, you have to replace them when the crosshatching gets bad.

25psi is maybe a touch too low IME. If you’re riding fast then you need a touch more pressure to stop burping, I’m always around 30psi. I use stans fluid, a good bit but don’t really measure it.

For inflation I put a tube in overnight, then lather bead and rim with soapy water and then it’ll go on with a bit of work and a track pump. Other method is to skip the tube and use a garage air pump, but you need to search for one with enough flow because now-a-days (over here at least) they tend to be really low flow.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Hi Doug.Still living the life BasQing in the sun? ;O)

Well i popped in to see mark @ monsterbike and went for a single ply minion.. but he only had 2.5s. It seemed quite narrow in the shop and once fitted, im more than happy with the overall girth of it.It only looks slightly bigger than the 2.25 hutchinson i had on.Its apparently 140grams heavier than what i had but i could not tell the difference with it up front. I plan to get a 2.35 for the rear.

Sealing.. Ive always been a fan on getting the rim spotlessly clean before trying to get them to seal well. I cleaned the rim down and added a lick of stans fluid around both sides of the rim before fitting the tyre (with ease) by hand.This may have caused inflation with a Blackburn trackpump to be impossible.It just went on a breeze and i could see that it was going to be a mare by hand to get it inflated. I usually manage to get them up with a trackpump but not this combo.Grr!
    A quick blast with an instaflate and it was up.. although the sidewalls were showing a bit of leakage through the material. There was also a few areas at the bead where it was leaking.I pumped them up to 60psi,rode the bike around for a few mins and dropped the pressure to 30. Left it for half an hour and it seemed ok.Went for a ride for a couple of hours and let it down to around 25psi and it seems to be staying up. I only used a small bottle of stans and like you said.. maybe i need to use a little more. Ill check the pressure in the morning and hopefully itll be sorted.

Oh and the gripppp! Had one up front years ago and dont know why i stopped using them.

Northwind

Never done it with Shimano rims but my singleply minion 2.35s went onto my Flows as easily as you could want. There’s quite a lot of rubber in them so they sealed up pretty quickly, and weren’t hard to bead up.

doug_basqueMTB.com

That’s it Martin! What’s an instaflate?

The Minions are great tyres, I pretty much use them all the time out here.

martinxyz
    Free Member

I had to look it up just then! I have always called co2 inflation tools Instaflates.
    Ive just found that genuineinnovations came up with the GT instaflate to go with GT`s new line of bicycles back in 1989. It looks like they dont do it anymore. Just microflate and ultraflate.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis minion single ply tubeless questions..’ is closed to new replies.