Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Maxxis Ignitor what do you reckon?
  • hustler
    Free Member

Boring question: I have a 2.35 Ignitor in the cupboard and was thinking of sticking it on a hardtail i am building. Are they any good or are they crap and if they are any good back or front?. I ride mostly trail centre stuff.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

fine for trail centres, but absolutely terrible in muddy natural conditions

PJ266
    Free Member

Rode mine all over everywhere last autumn/winter, bit drifty but i really liked them.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

The tread looks a bit like that of a Conti Vertical – therefore I feel they should be viewed with suspiscion.

snakester
    Free Member

chunkypaul has summed them up pretty well!

Jamie
    Free Member

I run the UST versions. A bit slip-tastic in the mud, persevered with them last winter but will probably be looking for something else come October time.

Great in the dry tho.

franki
    Free Member

My bro. has got some on his new bike and thought they were the dog’s to start with. A few rides later he’s going to ditch the front, as it’s let go suddenly and he’s crashed several times when pushing it hard into corners.
    I suspect they’re great as an xc tyre in dry and loose conditions provided you don’t chuck your bike into the bends like a downhiller.

hustler
    Free Member

Cheers everyone, it sounds like it will do fine on this second bike. Anyone think they are better on the front or the rear (I still have to find a really good front tyre!)

edit: Franki I don’t like the sound of your brothers experience as I do tend to chuck it in to corners and have had a few hairy front tyre experiences

giantjason
    Free Member

i had mine on the front and rear and after a few front slides took the front one off and put on a High Roller instead. Much more confidence in the front now.

They are OK on the rear as a dry weather tyre but as said above when the conditions get muddy they start sliding.

I was out tonight on my SS with the Ignitor on the rear and could easily spin the rear wheel through muddy sections with all my weight on it!!

steve_b77
    Free Member

I run them on both my bikes. 2.35″/2.1″ on the FS and 2.1″/2.1″ on the HT, both sets are the exception series so a 62a compound, pretty damm grippy to be honest.

They’re great fast tyres in dry & firm conditions, great @ trail centres, good on normal woodland single track so long as it’s not muddy as they clog pretty easily.

They do slide, but in a nice controlled way which I rather like.

Come up like HR’s regarding sizing as in a 2.35″ in just a fraction bigger than new Maxxis 2.1″ tyres.

PJ266
    Free Member

Yes they are slidy in the mud, but i managed fine, you’ve just got to get used to the bike drifting a bit. High roller front, ignitor rear worked for me.

Martinez
    Free Member

great tyre, I love ’em. Only time their no good is supa wet.
    Even when they drift they are progressive, so they dont suddenly blow like a high roller might if pushed too far.

jamnspoon
    Free Member

do they come up big or small compared to other maxxis tyres.

Ed-O
    Free Member

I’ve got them (2.35) as rear tyres on 2 of my bikes. Good fast rollers in hardpack / loose / wet grass. As above they do let go in a controlled way. Sidewalls seem pretty robust as Maxxis usually are. OK as a front if you want a fast xc experience.

Size wise they are like other Maxxix 2.35s. Different profile to Vert Pros, so you’re OK there!

tombell1989
    Free Member

Can’t speak for the 2.35 version, having run only 2.1s.

I love them. Don’t understand the comments about being crap in the mud.

Best as a rear tyre I have found. Grip well and fairly low rolling resistance.

MrNutt
    Free Member

they are good but LUST HR’s are better.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Ignitor what do you reckon?’ is closed to new replies.