• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by wzzzz.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Maxxis car tyres
  • dmck16
    Free Member

All 4 corners are due soon. Seeing as they’re well regarded in the MTB world, are their current crop of car tyres worth considering? (most info seems to be a few years old now)

For reference: usually run Vredstein 4S tyres, around 20k miles per year on a mixture of A road and motorway, very early morning commute in Scotland. Recommendations welcome, can’t spare Michelin money unfortunately.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I can’t comment on Maxxis but Goodyear EfficientGrip would be worth a look – I’ve found them to be very good.

oldtennisshoes

I had them on a Kia Soul a few years ago and they were fine IIRC.

tthew

Got some of their all seasons offerings on my van. Wear is great but I definately noticed a few % MPG penalty from the normal treads it had when I bought it. I assume other manufacturers all seasons types would show a similar penalty, so yeah, I’d buy them again.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve had them, they were very good, can’t recall what model, but they were quite like my current Michelin cross climates in terms of pattern.

Sui
    Free Member

I put the cross climate ones on the missus Aygo, and they transformed the handling, it was a death trap before. So yes recommended they were also relatively cheap!

hotstuff
    Free Member

We were motocross Maxxis dealers for years and I used their tyres on 4x4s and the work van. I did it to promote the brand in the early days but to be honest they didn’t last very long, especially the van ones. Like everything, they’ll have improved over the years but there’s probably better for cheaper.

tthew

OK, as others have also mentioned the all seasons versions, mine are called All Seasons AP2. IIRC they were about £30 cheaper each corner than the Michelin’s

hotstuff
    Free Member

There you go, started the post before dinner and finished after, a few present day experiences now. I stand corrected, they obviously have improved.

Woody
    Free Member

Had them on my motorbike and they were excellent in all conditions,so dont see why the car tyres would be any less good.

bearnecessities

Anyone else read “maxxis” and remember this perfect example of an utterly mental thread?

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/that-maxxis-babes-calendar-article/

Nice though that the debate seems so ridiculous nowadays 🙂

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I’ve got the all season AF2’s I think – they’re great in erm all seasons.

They’re snow rated too which is handy for um snow 😃

dmck16
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Sounds like they can remain on the list to be considered.

IIRC they were about £30 cheaper each corner than the Michelin’s

Exactly, £130 saving cannot be sniffed at.

I did it to promote the brand in the early days but to be honest they didn’t last very long

That remains my one concern – a high wear rate that leads to a false economy. But as you mention, you’d hope improvements have been made since.

reluctantjumper

No experience of their car tyres but my work tried to save costs on tyres for our vans by switching from Michelins to other, cheaper manufacturers. They weren’t looking for grip rates or fuel economy (we have telematics for that) purely wear rates and cost per mile. We had vans fitted with fresh sets from all the main names and there was a massive difference. Michelin and Goodyear lasted the best while Hankook and Cooper/Avon were the worst. Well, apart from Maxxis. They lasted just over 7K on one van and 8K on the other, the next worst were 13.5k. The Maxxis tyres worked out at over double the cost of Michelins per mile! We now use Goodyears with Michelin or Bridgestone as alternatives if stocks are low.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I ran a set of MA-P1’s on my old Civic, IIRC they lasted some ridiculous amount of miles, 30k I think? Possibly more.

Wear rate, as always, is dependant on what you are running them on and the loads placed on them.

matt_outandabout

I have had Copper Allseason (sh*te grip in summer and wore oddly), Hankook 4s (very good), Vredestien Allyear something (wore out quickly) and Maxxis AP2 (noisy, very noisy, more a full winter tyre) and now have Michelin CrossClimates and they beat everything else for grip, noise and wear.

fossy

I had a set of Maxxis on the car until January, – the tyres were only 4 years old, maybe 20k on them. The car failed the MOT as 3 tyres had developed deep cracks in the inner side walls. Never had this happen before on a relatively ‘new’ tyres.

kayak23

Minions on the rear, High Rollers on the front obvs…

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Maxxis make good MTB tyres but rubbish car tyres. If you’re looking for cheap tyres that grip reasonably well then Toyo T1Rs are decent enough; they’ve been used as the control wet tyre for quite a few race series and I used them as my wet tyre when I used to race.

JP

squirrelking
    Free Member

Good track tyres don’t necessarily translate to the road. From memory Toyos wear pretty fast and have a nasty habit of flinging any stones they drive over. I never had them but plenty of the Civic crowd did and the reports were always the same.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Had some MA-Z1 on a 350z once, the rears lasted about 45 minutes. Which was pretty good going on that car.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis car tyres’ is closed to new replies.