• This topic has 21 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by sv.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Maxxis Ardents
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Thinking of going from my MK Prtection 2.2 which are bad in the winter (obviously) to some ardents for all weather/all season XC – I have some minions and high rollers for FR/more full-on stuff but have a XC wheelset for faster XC singltrack/tracks/tarmac/climbing stuff.

Are/do Ardents:

Have a low Rolling Restance wheels compared with the MK's?
    Grippy on roots (unlike the MK's)
    washout (like the MK's)
    Clear well in mud (like the MK's)
    Hard wearing (not like the MK's)
    Good all seasons tyre? (unlike the MK's)
    Good on Fr and Rr (unlike the MK's)

🙂 Cheers FXR

foxyrider
    Free Member

Anyone got any ardents? Are they any good? Are they draggy 🙂 Pretty Please 🙂

sv

JRA Review

Just bought a 2.25 60a, not sure about putting it on at the moment. Keeping the Swampthing on until the gloop disappears. Looking at the tread not sure that it would clear easily.

elliptic
    Free Member

I ran one as a front tyre last summer with an ADvantage on the back, both 2.25s, and they worked well enough as a light/high-volume/reasonably fast rolling combo. The ADvantage has that typical Maxxis handling where you need to crank it right over to get cornering grip in anything soft, the Ardent is a bit more progressive.

Wouldn't consider either of them an all-year option if you're riding anywhere muddy – I ride mostly in the Mendips / southwest and they were surfing and sliding around as soon the wet season set in, probably not quite as bad as MKs in those conditions but still had them off sharpish.

Note also they size up *much* bigger than High Rollers or Minions.

glenp
    Free Member

As a general point, aren't low rolling resistance and good winter tyre pretty much mutually exclusive? Actually, low rolling resistance is way down on my list of desires for an off-road tyre.

foxyrider
    Free Member

glenp – tis a factor down my way where I have to do some road work to join up bridleways down on dartmoor – I don't often take my bike on the car anywhere as I am lucky enough to ride out ffom my house so a low rolling resistance helps me 🙂

toons
    Free Member

I run the 2.25’s on my xc bike and 2.4's on my bike with more travel than the other one.

I like them, I HATE MK's.

OK on roots so far.

They do wash on the corners, but then suddenly grip, its bit odd at first.

They do clear well in the mud.

Not sure on hard wearing, I’ll look at them tonight.

I bought them in the summer and still using them in the winter, no problems so far. I would like to try a minion dh 2.35 on the front. I've been hearing good things about that tire on wet roots\rocks etc.

I run both front & Rear and would buy them again.

I don't find them draggy, unlike wtb prowler mx, they are bloody awful.

glenp
    Free Member

Fair enough Foxy… I'm spoilt riding out the back garden and straight into the woods.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Thaks Toons and other – think I might get some when I have some more money to spend on bikes 😉

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

I'm trying out the 2.25 Ardents F&R on my cove HT. About 20 rides in and the jurys still out. They seem a very lightweight tyre for a 2.25, and apart from one massive thorn they've done fairly good all round. i.e not puncturing, not washing out, and seem to be wearing well. Having ridden the 2.1 Advantage XC's there doesn't seem to be a huge differance in handling. If anything the Advantages roll better, and possibly grip better too (both on hardpack and wet stuff).

boxelder

I've moved to them from AdVantage, as on rocky stuff, I would tear the knobs off slightly on the adv. – which ruins them for tubeless use. Ardents, impressive so far, but the Lakes doesn't have much mud.

fackit
    Free Member

I have an Ardent on the rear-end and it is a sound all rounder…

And cheap, mine was £25 delivered and for that I can't fault it.

Oh yeh, it clears well too.

Best thing to do is try it no?

foxyrider
    Free Member

yup but can't try before you buy very easily 😉

drain

I run one as a rear tyre and it is surprisingly good in gloop, coped well with TransWales last year.

Seems to be very puncture resistant compared to the MK. I'd say the MK probably rolls quicker but that might be because I run a 2.2" MK rear and it comes up noticeably smaller than the 2.25" Ardent.

Can't comment on roots but both seem ok on rock to me.

foxyrider
    Free Member

What do people use up front if not an ardent?

fbk
    Free Member

Mmmmmm Minion DHF 😉

JamieMc
    Free Member

Been running a 2.25 Ardent upfront since autumn with an ADvantage on the rear. Really like it. Agree with Toons on the grip. If you push it really hard it will give, but bites back suddenly. Once you get a feeling for how far you can push them its great. Stick one on and give it a go.

drain

Nobby Nic 2.25" with the Ardent on that bike's setup.

NN F+R also a favourite in winter except if uber gloopy.

foxyrider
    Free Member

ta very muchly guys – more agreement – I like it !! 🙂

Ceebug
    Free Member

I also run an Ardent (2.4) up front with an ADvantage (2.1) on the rear. Really happy so far, even in the wet.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Ardent at the back and HR at the front, for the win.

sv

Ardent at the back and HR at the front, for the win

Exactly what I put on last night for a ride tomorrow. 2.25 Ardent and a 2.35HR both Single Ply and 60a compound. Time will tell!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Ardents’ is closed to new replies.