Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Mavic XM819 rims
  • Goldigger
    Free Member

I'm after some new wheels and was recommended Mavic XM819's rather than 719 rims on the chosen Hope Pro 2 hubs.
    My concern is that i just bought 2 pairs of new tyres (£120), the Mavic XM819 rims are UST, can i still use tubes and tyres with the 819's?? I did read that some people experienced pinch flats.

Cheers

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Course you can use them, although you'll have to use Presta tubes, and some tyres are a nightmare to get on and off (anything 2bliss in my experience).
    Just sold my Pro2/819 set to raise funds, but wouldnt hesitate to get another.
    EDIT: You will experience more pinch flats obviously, as you cant get them tubeless, but, no worse than any other tyre. I think its just after going tubeless and not having them, it's hard to accept them again.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Yup. Running mine tubed just now but as Swift says tubed tyres can be a nightmare so invest in long strong tyre levers.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Also ive got a few sets of tubeless tyres ill be sticking on later cheap if youre interested?

Goldigger
    Free Member

Ok…Im running Schwalbe 2.1 Racing ralphs in the dry and 2.25 Nobby Nics during the winter… (I like fat tyres)
    Are these going to be a bitch to get on and off? I've never needed a tyre lever to get these off so far.
    Is there a lot of difference in strength between 719's and 819's?

Cheers…

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Couldnt tell you, i ran 2.25 RR/NN combo on mine but the tubeless versions. They need no levers to get on or off, and inflate first time, every time. Now moved them on to my pro2/flow wheels.

ANd 2.25 isnt exactly fat? Mine have a much nicer profile on the flows than when they were on the 819s.

Goldigger
    Free Member

2.25 is a dam sight fatter than my previous 1.95 speziallized tires…

br
    Free Member

I've a few wheels with 819's, run anything from 1.9's to 2.3's, although 2.0/2.1's feel best.

I run all mine tubeless, but use normal and/or UST and/or TubelessReady tyres with Stans liquid.

You can run tubes, but if you are gong to then get a cheaper rim, rather than 819's.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I have a 719 and run a tubeless kit with it (singular – I've got my old 717 up front).

Is the 819 a similar width? How about weight? I know the bare 819 rim is ever so slightly lighter, but what about the nipple fixings?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Mavic XM819 rims’ is closed to new replies.