Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Mavic 719 alternative?
  • barrykellett
    Free Member

CRC have been out of stock for ages on the 719 rim, any recommendations for something else of a similar Ilk? Weight is important as is strength

Moon on a stick?

Yes, two for me please

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tried other retailers?

saladdodger
    Free Member

Evans have stock

but a few quid more

Me I am waiting for crc

two for me to

househusband

You don't have to use disc specific rims… CRC have 32h non-disc 719 rims in black for only £34ea.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Want rims built onto wheels, nobody else comes close to the price

Might just wait it out as I dont need them that urgently

Matta
    Free Member

Are there any alternatives to the 719's as I would be interested to find out what say the equivalent DT swiss rims are. 😕

AverageMark
    Free Member

I got my ones built by Merlin last year, hang on.

Yep, they have them in stock. If youre going for a built wheel from them i would be surprised if they arn't just as cheap if not cheaper.

james
    Free Member

Nobody comes close? Whenever I've bought or price checked wheelbuilds merlin usually works out cheaper than CRC

XM719 (non-disc) is heavier than XM719 Discs

nickc

email CRC? They'll know when the stock's coming.

xc-steve
    Free Member

LBS?! I know mine refuses to get beaten by CRC out of principle!

poppa
    Free Member

When I last bought wheels I think CRC were the same price but with better spokes?

barrykellett
    Free Member

CRC are cheaper when you upgrade spokes, and Merlin dont have the 20mm SLX hub available either.

A boy I know might have the answer though 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

Merlin dont have the 20mm SLX hub available either.

phone them they are very helpful.

I have orderd a few non standard wheels from them.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Just looking at other rims available on CRC, and the Sun Ringle EQ23 look like a comparable rim, and nice and light. The 27 are a little heavier but look more burly.

LittleTones
    Free Member

EQ23s are not quite as burly, nor as wide as the Mavic 719. I have a set on my Trance – for fat boy xc, have been pretty good so far.

uplink
    Free Member

Stan's Arch?

if it's still available

barrykellett
    Free Member

LittleTones – What tires size can they take up to? Fat Boy xc is what I sort of want. Fatboyxc/allmountain"lite"

😳

brianbrian
    Free Member

I have DT XR4.2's on DT240 hubs and I destroyed the rims 1st time out. 15st and a hard tail in the peaks. Not strong enough for that so steer clear.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Here you go, a good bit cheaper than CRC as well – http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/mavic-xm719-disc-item132449.html

Edit: Ah sorry just read the thread properly, I'd say go for a Hope Hoops factory build from Winstanleys.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Cheers schrickvr6
    But I was looking for a pair of wheels built up.

Though If i got the rest of the bits cheap I could do it myself, but it will undoubtedly work out more expensive, given the price of blooming spokes now

schrickvr6
    Free Member

What hubs are you wanting to use?

If it's Pro 2s check out The Bike outlet for good prices, also Spa Cycles for well priced Sapim spokes. If you can build them yourself which isn't that difficult and very satisfying I'd imagine the price would be close.

http://www.bikeoutlet.co.uk/index.php?p=catalog&mode=manufacturer&mid=9

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s156p0

LittleTones
    Free Member

BK – I've got Specialized Resolutions on them at the moment, so high volume 2.1 tyres. Have used Bontrager 2.2,and they will probably go up to normal 2.3 / conti 2.4s. They've been good so far, but I do ride in the south without too many rocks, but they are quite light. I'm 16 stone and didn't bust them over the course of 2009. CRC made the wheels with Disc Jockey hubs. They were cheap at the time, but they are not so cheap now. Up until these I've always had wheels built with F519/XM719 rims, bought these to try and cut down on weight.

Hope that helps.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Cool. I might go for the EX27's then and try a new rim for a change. They sound like they will cope ok for me if they are that little bit wider and little stronger than the EX23's

saladdodger
    Free Member

CRC now have stock I have just ordered a pair

barrykellett
    Free Member

Sweet, ordered
    SLX 20mm front hub and QR rear… DT Comp black spokes, 719 disc rim – £150

**** me thats cheap

saladdodger
    Free Member

Just got the 719's delivered

wheel building for me tomorrow

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Mavic 719 alternative?’ is closed to new replies.