Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Masters Category to be Scrapped by British Cycling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • xterramac
    Free Member

looking like BC have done it again:: http://www.xcracer.com/masters-category-to-be-scrapped-by-british-cycling.html I hope this is wrong…… IMO Masters fills an important space in peoples racing careers. They wouldn’t have a world champs if it wasn’t an important cat. Gutted I am.

qwerty
    Free Member

Replaced with a Jedi category?

njee20
    Free Member

What your thread title needs is more exclamation marks.

The top of masters is now faster than the top of expert. Don’t see the issue myself. Top few belong in elite, the others into expert/sport.

Only issue I can foresee is that it’s a big category, so the other categories are about to get bigger, and thus the course will get busier at the nationals.

I can’t see you having done an NPS since Coed y Brenin in 2007 OP, how much of an issue is it really? Or is this vicarious indignation?

xterramac
    Free Member

a good plan like that sounds. 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

i dont get your outrage…….

it seems to be a place where ex elite riders go when they are fed up of elite or have other commitments than racing.

It seemed to be elective wether you raced in elite or masters…..

LS
    Free Member

Yeah no problem really – the front end of Masters is just a place where ex-Elites go to when they can’t train long enough for Elite any more. We can slot into Expert quite happily.

terrahawk
    Free Member

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Good, Masters is a far too early reminder of your advancing years. At least when you get into Vets you are in your 40s and well aware that you are not as young as you once were.

xterramac
    Free Member

njee20 would you want to ride expert with 100+ if you weren’t gridded in the first 5 rows? Top masters and expert, are similar level yes, but still way off elite top20.

xterramac
    Free Member

njee20 did one in 2010 but was told had to ride sport, back row of grid, finished an embarrassing 5th. I was planning and training to ride masters in 2015, hence my annoyance.

LS
    Free Member

If you’re good enough you will get gridded in the first five rows. In your case you’re effectively starting from scratch anyway so will have to do what everyone else does, get a couple of early season events in where the fields are smaller and pick up some points.

It’s not a new idea I don’t think it was certainly mooted a while ago to lose the category.
    This also has the side effect of meaning that I will forever have won my last race in Masters 🙂

xterramac
    Free Member

LS, I guess your right.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yea…..no more mid pack heroes getting pissy when us Vets come past despite giving them a 3 minute head start 😀

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I’ve always found the Masters (30+) category ridiculous in an endurance sport where many people are peaking in their early 30s. Good riddance I say 😀

STATO
    Free Member

Is these days of -isms I’m surprised we still have age or gender categories , When in essence it’s more to do with How fit you are not How old you are or what bits you have. Just change wholesale to distance or time categories and let people choose.

njee20
    Free Member

njee20 did one in 2010 but was told had to ride sport, back row of grid, finished an embarrassing 5th. I was planning and training to ride masters in 2015, hence my annoyance.

I do ride expert. You rarely get five rows of people these days!

The top of masters is quicker than the top of expert. If you were planning to win masters you’ll win expert. The people who should be annoyed are the experts whose category is being invaded!

rusty90
    Free Member

I’ve always found the Masters (30+) category ridiculous in an endurance sport where many people are peaking in their early 30s. Good riddance I say

Agreed, they tend to be the fastest and hardest (in XC and CX anyway). I’ll be over 60 next season according to BC rules, so I’m looking for a new super-super-vets class. Is ‘coffin dodgers’ too blunt?

LS
    Free Member

Yea…..no more mid pack heroes getting pissy when us Vets come past despite giving them a 3 minute head start

That applies throughout though, doesn’t it? I’ve caught the entire Expert field and half the Elites before now. Most will get out of the way but there’s always one or two where ego takes over!

deadkenny
    Free Member

tenacious_doug – Member
    Good, Masters is a far too early reminder of your advancing years. At least when you get into Vets you are in your 40s and well aware that you are not as young as you once were.

I’ve never managed to get into any kind of race stuff yet, but scares me that my category would be Vets.

Though I’d only be doing it for a laugh if ever I do one, so as long as I can do the Fun category, I’m fine 😀 , otherwise I’d only be pissing off the serious folk 😉

njee20
    Free Member

British XC R1 top 5 Expert times:
    01:23:14
    01:24:35
    01:25:24
    01:25:42
    01:26:14

Top 5 Masters (same distance):
    01:23:28
    01:23:29
    01:23:59
    01:24:50
    01:26:19

Not much in it.

Agreed, they tend to be the fastest and hardest (in XC and CX anyway)

Not really ‘the’ hardest, but hard nonetheless. Interestingly in 2014 there was a bit of a slow down in Master in XC, and Vets was often faster at the sharp end.

I’ll be over 60 next season according to BC rules, so I’m looking for a new super-super-vets class

Super vets is >60.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

the MTB XC age related categories are pants

too dominated by people who were and remain very good, puts off new entrants to the sport

Rorschach
    Free Member

dominated by people who were and remain very good

Errr I may have missed something here.Are you saying it should be dominated by people who are a bit pants?

xterramac
    Free Member

What I’m trying to get at here is, that anyone age 30-39 can currently enter sport or masters if they have a BC license and choose the race best suited to them at that time. So a harder/faster/longer race if they want too.
    But if the Masters gets binned, then those people aged 30-39 will have to do a season in the sport cat and finish in the top5 or 10 (not sure which), in order to move into the expert cat to be able to complete in the same level of harder/faster/longer event, but not until the following year.

This is assumption based on current rules though, so could be totally different when they say.

ac282

I’m not really bothered about this as my regional series lumps us together anyway.

If it means I get to race earlier in the day at nationals and that they can find more time for Sunday practice then I would rate it as a good thing.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Errr I may have missed something here.Are you saying it should be dominated by people who are a bit pants?

I guess it could be done more like du/triathlon where you have 5 year age groups. At least the talent gets spread around a bit more then.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Oh god no….have you ever raced TLi or LVRC.There’s about 30 categories…..with 3 people in each.

JoeG
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member

Oh god no….have you ever raced TLi or LVRC.There’s about 30 categories…..with 3 people in each.

Everyone’s a winner then! 😀 Well, on the podium at least. 😉

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Hmmm interesting, was considering a SXC race or two in 2015, only did one in 2014 mind. I can’t even remember how they set us off, just remember it being bleak as **** and flailing like an idiot to get clipped in at the start! Goes off to look at times…

padkinson
    Free Member

As with a lot of the categories, in masters there seems to be a few quick bugger and a big drop off in speed as you move down past the top 5. So I can see this move being a non-issue for some, and might make a nice competitive expert cat at the top end, but result in people stopping racing due to being towards the back of a massive field?

I think the real issue is the elite category really. It needs to be made more, ‘elite’. People seem to get their elite license and not have to do anything to keep it, and end up being embarrassingly slow for the category.
    And still only two or three junior riders are taken up into elite, which I find ridiculous, looking at the times of the top juniors compared to most of the British elite field. We come halfway through the elite pack in a race for **** sake, so why do some very talented riders get unnecessarily dumped in expert for a year?

njee20
    Free Member

It’s daft when a junior goes into expert, then dominates for a year, agree that more should go into elite if they’re good enough. I do agree about demotion of slower elites, but difficult to enforce – there aren’t many who are that slow, and by doing a few under represented races it’s easy to finish higher up the rankings than one may expect.

Dibbs
    Free Member

When I started racing Vets where 35 and over.
    I started racing as a Vet then they changed the ages so that Master was up to 40.
    That made me a Master for a couple of years then back to Vet and on the Grand Vet.
    I might be tempted out of retirement if they brought out a Cat for 60+. 😉

ac282

I think that could be a hangover from the fact that elite races were 2 hrs 15 minutes not that long ago.

I think people thought that juniors would struggle with the step up in distance.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I loved the Masters class when it appeared 1996 had my best MTB year ever 18 wins those were the days.You won cash and all sorts of goodies.Long time ago HAY.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I spent a few years racing (4 i think) I was pretty pants but I got a little better. My best position was something like 6th on the first lap, but finishing 13th out of 100ish in a gorrick at crowthorne. Unfortunately I got a bit ill after that and never seem to have got back.

In the gorrick u get a medal if in top 10% @(expect for fun) so pretty close to that but still millions and millions of miles off competing for the number 1 spot.

The problem was that in pretty much all categories the top riders were lapping in the same time.

Really in my mind there should be no ages categories. Just ability.

Ie Fun, Then something C**p, Average , Open , Expert Elite.

That way u’d have a chance of actually moving up the categories and getting near the front positions even if your not going to be that good a rider in the end.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Like BC road racing where the majority of people at the front do just enough so they don’t get promoted at the year end? (there is a suspiciously large number of 2nd Cats on 199 points at the end of the year).

rsvktm

As a vet wouldn’t mind be able to play in other cats but we are considered too old… Funny that if I pretended to be 10yrs younger I could have got a lot more podiums last year in my regional xc series. Just from experiences in that series the actual classes have less entrants than the age related ones, up to 50 in the vets and up to 40 in masters. Maybe time to lose the vets class as well, pretty please.
    Just seen that I put numbers as 50 and 40, meant entrants not ages..

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

They did promote you in the early days if you had a racing licence from sport to expert then elite if you had enough points etc.But in 1995 they brought in a second sport category called sports 2 for older people then masters in 1996.Then it seemed to become a free for all.Where you were racing against ex-pros.Not much chance but that’s life.

crosshair
    Free Member

So how many races are affiliated anyway? I know our local xcRampage series is for example but is there a list somewhere?

The whole BC ranking/points/category system seems ridiculously over complicated. Does it have to comply with some kind of UCI protocol or anything?

If you were to start from scratch, how would you design the category system to give us the closest possible racing?

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

The points were a right cock up back in the 90s.Some times they never sent them into the BCF when you won races that had points.Gave up on it in the end.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Shits and giggles.
    Overly serious.
    Birds.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Masters Category to be Scrapped by British Cycling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.