Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Marzocchi Bombers 55 TST2 advice needed on changing spring
  • JPcapel
    Free Member

I have acquired a new bike, Specialized SX trial 2008 model
    It comes fitted with Bombers 55 TST2, a coil fork.
    The fork has air preload adjustment. Having removed all air the current spring is to firm for my weight, around 11stone/70kilo's when wearing bike kit.
    I would guess the bike is fitted with a medium spring, so would want to fit a soft spring.
    Quick questions for STW users:
    1) Will this fork have 2 springs to change, or does the air pre-load occupy a complete fork leg and only 1 spring exists in other leg?
    2) is it an easy job to do, assume allen key on lower leg is start of dismantling and changing spring, other thought was get LBS to do work & watch so aware of how to do it in future.
    3) any idea on cost of springs, they haven't jumped out on CRC site when looking so far.
    Internet seems to throw up lots of negative feedback over this particular model of fork, any user views? There is talk of them packing down and only giving 3" of travel and reference to a regular waranty issue…???
    Thanks in advance for assistance that follows.

S8Tom
    Free Member

Are you sure it's coil? Think the 55's are air and use the ATA air cartridge which is the part that has the faults mostly.
    If it is coil I'm guessing it's spring on one leg as the TST2 cartridge won't have a spring.
    My advice is remove the spring altogether and just use the air pressure. Obviously got the added advantage of saving a bit of weight.
    I've done this to sveral Marzocchi forks. I guess you could expect the fork to 'ramp-up' a bit towards the end of the stroke. Give it a go, not got much to lose.

Artillerydave
    Free Member

fork is coil and air in one leg and tst in the other, to remove you use a standard cassette tool to remove the top cap of the left hand leg, (remove the air from the valve first!) then remove the top cap and the spring is located directly under this. The coils are not available aftermarket (yet) and they only produce 1 weight, the standard one in all the forks.

Not sure I would run it with no coil and only air myself. I was faced with the reverse problem to you, wanted a heavier spring so could run less air, but this was not available. TF tuned and Windwave didn't really throw up any ideas and were pretty unhelpful. apparantly for the 2010 forks different spring rates may be available and these would be backwards compatable (I believe)

your only option is to put on some weight! or swap the fork!

JPcapel
    Free Member

Artillerydave,
    Greatly appreciate the advice – thanks.
    Bummer to hear no after market springs available – kind of limits if range of use….first Marzocchi fork…likely to be last at this rate!
    Removing coil and riding with air only makes me kind of nervous too, not to knock suggestion c/o S8Tom – thanks too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Marzocchi Bombers 55 TST2 advice needed on changing spring’ is closed to new replies.