Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)
  • mark up on new bikes ?
  • iainc

following the Evans discount thread, what typical mark up would a LBS get on a current model big brand bike, say a 2016 Giant, Spesh, Trek etc ?

Just curious really !

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I assume you mean the difference between trade and rrp? The sales, the floor rental, the staffing costs, the warranty support and building it 😉

br
    Free Member

You’d need to start off at least 100% I reckon.

£1000 delivered into shop
    £2000 selling price

VAT already takes £333 of the £1000.

scotroutes

Mark up or margin?

Also depends on how many units the shop commits to over the year, and whatever other terms have been negotiated. Then, of course, there’s the margin taken by Halfords/Cyclescheme etc for the C2W sales.

b r is nowhere near.

mboy
    Free Member

Just curious really !

LOL 😆

What do you do for a living? Fancy telling us how much profit you do or don’t make?

To be honest, on some bikes it’s embarrassing, not because of how much it is, but how little… You don’t work in the bike trade to get rich! Big shops that buy in bulk get bigger discount obviously, but even they will often have to sell last years models at, or below cost, just to get shot of them…

Can we leave it at “it’s not as bad as electronic goods retail, but it’s a lot less margin than most industries” please and move on?

simondbarnes

£2000 selling price

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

mboy
    Free Member

£2000 selling price

With margins like that, I’d be able to retire next month! 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Let’s just face it, when the new Aston Martin comes out we know it’s all the bike industry lining up to buy them…

Drac

£2000 selling price

You don’t know then.

br
    Free Member

With margins like that, I’d be able to retire next month!

If you’re making less, how do you stay in business?

tommid
    Free Member

When I worked in the trade (about 15 years ago), the best profit margins were around 35% on bikes and 40% on accessories and parts.
    We closed half the bike shop down and turned it into a coffee shop as the mark up on food was about 90%.

Most big suppliers required you to take a number of units per year at various price levels, this meant taking a risk and holding a fair amount of stock. You have any of it left in September and the next years models arrive and it is viewed as old stock. Once you consider all the associated costs bike shops make very little profit.

Rorschach
    Free Member

@br 😆
    Depends on the brands and the commitment you make.Some brands (Trek) tie in the the margin across all their products (clothes,shoes,accessories) and offer a further rebate at the end of the year if you meet their targets for both sales and growth.
    If you are a large stockist it can be up to 40% for the bigger brands but for most its closer to 30-35%.If you are a smaller shop and can’t meet the buy in requirements (a number of bikes from each category) it can be as low as 20%.
    By the time you’ve knocked off the customary 10% for someone walking into the shop and then thrown in the obligatory ‘freebies’ that does’nt leave too much for rent/rates/wages/bills etc.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not sure why the need to be so coy – I think most of us are aware the margins aren’t huge on complete bikes, and those who aren’t could probably do with being educated. It’s hardly a trade secret which is going to kick the bottom out of the market.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I read once the price doubles at each stage. So a frame that costs £250 to make costs the distributer £500. They sell it to the shop for £1000 who then sell it for £2000.
    Not sure how true it is though. Certainly doesn’t sound right.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

People are perhaps coy because a proportion of stw see margin as profit and will use figures like that at an example of how the lbs is ripping the world off.

scotroutes

They sell it to the shop for £1000 who then sell it for £2000.
    Not sure how true it is though.

It’s bollocks

theocb
    Free Member

Yep double it up..It’s fact actually

rhayter

Having seen my LBS’ online ordering system when I bought a bike a few years ago, I know that a £2,800 Trek cost the shop £1500. So not quite 100%, but close. However, the shop has a lot of overheads to pay for out of that markup, which takes huge chunks out of profit margin. I would guess that Evans – with their huge buying power – might get better prices than an independent retailer. So they’d have more scope for discount.

Joe

No it’s not you ignoramus.

iainc

I don’t work in retail, so asking as really have no idea. Some interesting replies. I know that local bike clubs can get discounts of up to 20% off the RRP on current model bikes, so was wondering whether the shop still makes a bit of profit in these cases.

LoCo
    Free Member

40 to 20% max really for bikes at RRP of current year stock, so f’all really once any discount is given and other running costs taken into account.

Having seen my LBS’ online ordering system when I bought a bike a few years ago, I know that a £2,800 Trek cost the shop £1500.

Plus the VAT.

No, it really isn’t

Joe

Having seen my LBS’ online ordering system when I bought a bike a few years ago, I know that a £2,800 Trek cost the shop £1500. So not quite 100%, but close. However, the shop has a lot of overheads to pay for out of that markup, which takes huge chunks out of profit margin. I would guess that Evans – with their huge buying power – might get better prices than an independent retailer. So they’d have more scope for discount.

Nope. Wrong again. Unless it was an extra special deal, where Trek had bought too many bikes and were selling them to their dealers at a deal. I would’t expect that your dealer would have paid any less than 1700 quid for that bike.

RustySpanner

mikewsmith – Member
    People are perhaps coy because a proportion of stw see margin as profit and will use figures like that at an example of how the lbs is ripping the world off

No one thinks LBS’s are really stitching people up, do they?
    They are squeezed between customers who use them as a sizing service and competition from the big boys.
    It cannot be easy at all.

Overall, I know one shop doing excellent business, a couple ticking along nicely but most seem to be struggling, even the really good ones.

If it was such a goldmine, we’d all be at it.
    What with all our expert knowledge.

We’ll miss them when they’re gone.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Evans/Wiggle/Halfords/Crc have a slightly different model with their in-house/self distributed brands (Norco,Bmc,Pinnacle,Dhb,Nukeproof,Ragley etc) as they remove a layer of cost.Sometimes 2 in the case of brands they own and sell directly (why crc can sell their own brands at 40%+ discount and still make money)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member
    No one thinks LBS’s are really stitching people up, do they?

It’s your first day here isn’t it….

aracer
    Free Member

Have you not seen the owners’ Ferraris?

chakaping
    Free Member

Evans/Wiggle/Halfords/Crc have a slightly different model with their in-house/self distributed brands (Norco,Bmc,Pinnacle,Dhb,Nukeproof,Ragley etc) as they remove a layer of cost.Sometimes 2 in the case of brands they own and sell directly (why crc can sell their own brands at 40%+ discount and still make money)

My limited awareness suggests they’d mark up by more than 100% on brands where they own the importer, possibly significantly more if they own the bike brand too.

RustySpanner

As to bargains, it’s amazing what you can find if you visit your lbs and ask them to poke around a bit in the back, as my friend Samantha told me.

Recent finds include the previously considered extinct 2015 dropped bar Tour de Fer, resplendent red.
    They’d forgotten about them, apparently.
    🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

I know some of the landed costs the importers pay for products.Whilst not tiny it’s significantly less than the retailers make and they rely on volume of sales.2015 has been such a hard year for the trade partly because the importers have been left with a glut of overstock from 2014 (forward orders are placed months beforehand and 2013 was a bumper year).

theocb
    Free Member

It is a fact (happy to be proven wrong.. things might have changed a lot.)
    Half of you have the receipts in hand so simple to prove across a varied spectrum of bikes.

I’m not suggesting bike shops are gold mines at all. Doesn’t mean people should lie about the numbers in case some think it is easy money.

Joe pipe down with the name calling. Thanks.

TiRed

Double the price and add VAT is standard for retail. But it is obvious from clearance that the margin on new bikes from small shops is less than this. Our previous sponsor would give us 40% discount and above this was struggling to not lose money. That on some expensive bikes.

Personally, I have no problem with reasonable prices. Evans don’t sell Giant btw. If you get 10% discount on a popular model (that will sell out in the standard sizes) be happy.

Rorschach
    Free Member

To be fair ,you’re an idiot.
    The half dozen people on here who have refuted your ‘fact’ are either long time bike trade employees or lbs owners.

mboy
    Free Member

I know some of the landed costs the importers pay for products.

Indeed… Owning my own shop has opened my eyes to things from the importer’s side of things too… On some premium products, say high end FS frames, carbon wheels etc. the importers are lucky to make even 6-8% margin selling them onto the retailers sometimes! I know when I wanted a nice set of wheels for my own bike, asked a favour of the brand manager at the importer and he said “as you’re selling a few of these to customers already, I’ll do you a set at our cost price for yourself, so another 6% off your normal dealer rate”… 😯

In the rarified world of high st. clothing retail, maybe!

theocb
    Free Member

Seriously, if you can’t post without name calling then you need to go elsewhere.
    I haven’t posted anything offensive.

It is a fact, happy (very happy) to be PROVEN wrong (Not bullied into submission)

LoCo
    Free Member

Who are you arguing with?! 😯

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So basically you reckon with no fact it’s double someone calls you an idiot for making shit up and you get upset?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Only the VOICES under the tin foil HAT……. 😐

akira

You can claim shops have 100% mark up if you want but its simply not true, I’ve worked in bike shops for years and I’ve never bought a current model for half the retail. If someone has some information that all the people who work in shops arent privy to then by all means share but otherwise it’s all misinformed speculation.

Drac

There is no need to insult other forum members.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Are insults worse than just making stuff up Drac?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘mark up on new bikes ?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM