Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Manuals on my banshee spitfire
  • pedlad

So just getting back into the swing of things after a summer off with a smashed collar bone and I want to try and master manuals on my spitty but struggling. Not due to the collar bone that’s fine but unlike my previous bike I really struggle to get the wheel up and balanced unlike on my previous bike.

I’m guessing it’s the longer wheel base? Other thoughts are do I need a shorter stem that the 50mm one or is the shock (dbinline) so plush it just sucks up all the pedal and hip thrust (ooer)?

Any thoughts on what would help?

helpful1
    Free Member

Being able to manual.

I suggest gtfo here and practicing.

pedlad

No link?
    I could manual on previous bike albeit not amazingly. Really struggling on this one.

beagle
    Free Member

Talk about not living up to forum name!

I moved to a longer bike with 650b. Did find it harder at first! Natural stuff before settling into new bike geo/feel. More practice/bigger weight shifting than what you may feel comfortable with (old bikes balance point is your current feel).

Beagle

sharkattack

I used to be able wheelie as far as I liked and hold a manual for aaaages. I’ve recently been getting really frustrated by the fact I’ve completely lost it.

It’s always much harder with rear suspension. I’ve just switched to a hardtail which should be easier but it’s quite a bit longer than anything I’ve had before and I struggle to keep the front end up

I’m telling myself it’s just lack of practice rather than bike setup. Then again I don’t go around everywhere on the back wheel like I did when I was younger. Don’t hang around in streets and car parks as much as an adult, which is where I learned everything the first time around.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

It’s just getting used to the new bike . I think manuals and wheelies become so instinctive/ second nature when you get good at them, like you don’t really think about it , any little change or drop in confidence that does make you think about it can throw you right off.

pedlad

Good feedback ta. Will keep practicing

helpful1
    Free Member

You’re welcome.

cokie

It’s a weird one. I find it easier to manual the T129 then the Stooge and the Explosif 650b. I think it comes down to practice and what you’ve comfortable on.

smatkins1
    Free Member

With most things like this lots and lots of practice will help… but I’m sure you don’t need telling that.

Perhaps try sticking some extra air in your shock and engaging any climb type modes. Just to stop your rear shock trying to absorb your attempts to weight shift and pull up.

Also do lots of wheelies, then start to try stop pedalling and hold a manual once in the balance point. Experiment with staying seated and moving to a standing position. Just to help with being comfortable in the balance point and it’s extremes. I’m a big believer in learning to wheelie is a good precursor to learning to manual.

Since you’ve learnt to manual previously this one isn’t going to be necessarily useful, but just for others reading, a nice flat surface on a slight downhill with a little something to get a little front wheel kick off of will help for practicing.

Did I mention just keep practicing 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Manuals on my banshee spitfire’ is closed to new replies.