Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Manchester commute
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

I’m on a training course at Manchester Airport for a couple of weeks from Monday. I’ll be staying at my Mum’s in Rossendale (top end of M66) and commuting down each day.

Is it quicker to drive around Manchester (on the M60) to the east or west? I’ve looked on Google maps and there’s little in it distance wise, but it doesn’t take into account traffic.

portlyone

Google Maps shows live Highways Agency traffic details but also period data, i.e. you can check average traffic flows for different times of the day. That should help with hotspots etc

dazh

Don't think it'll make much difference. If you go ACW you'll get stuck in the traffic jam between the M61 and M62, if you go CW you'll get stuck in the traffic jam between the M67 and the M56 😀

fubar
    Free Member

East!!! (straight down the M66).
    After 7am it gets worse and worse going anti-clockwise from J17 until the M62 starts again (J12) …avoid

JEngledow
    Free Member

Thanks for the help. I've looked at the Google Maps period data (thanks portlyone) and this backs-up what fubar said so it looks like I'll be going east (clockwise) and leaving a bit earlier than I was planning and I'll have the traffic announcements on the radio incase there's anything really nasty that I can (try to) avoid.

portlyone

The HA have an iPhone app now… trendy

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

EAST!

Jct 18 to the Eccles interchange becomes a car park every morning. I come from Halifax daily, clockwise around the M60 and on past the airport to Knutsford. From jct18 of the M60/M66 to the airport probably takes about half an hour if you're passing jct18 at 7am.

lowey

Clockwise down the M66 mate. I have the pleasure of travelling through M61 – M60 every morning and evening Jncts 15 through to 10 are just atrocious.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Manchester commute’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM