Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Malvern Classic
  • xcstu
    Free Member

For all you oldies

Anyone remember the Malvern classic?

Better still does anyone have any photos of the t shirt the used to have for it? Blue with pink writing on the back and an eight years old drawing on the front of a bike and mycycles logo?

Sure said on the back I’ve been on a dirty weekend 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bula hats for slalom gates? Isn’t it? Wasn’t it?

🙂

bensales
    Free Member

It was great until the unfortunate in the tent next to me got stabbed.

Nothing quite like waking up to armed coppers with a hangover, and Police Incident tape tied to the top of your tent.

tinybits
    Free Member

The old lake jump – before it got ‘organised’ it was a table and a few drunks.
    The bunny hop comp.
    The Rox shirts

ski
    Free Member

That bomb hole 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Team Schmoo? Check.
    Original Camelbak? Check.
    Steezy old skool lack of style? Check.

tang
    Free Member

Went to the first two, excellent. Bought a bula cap and a beanbag jersey, ogled the dogsbollx on its unveiling (91) Gould on fire, hot and dusty (like it never seems to be anymore), disc drives thundering, waiting for the next injury at the bomb hole, Sophie Brooks…….

xcstu
    Free Member

Dare to say it but they were by far the best days of mtb events before they went boring (and crap weather)

Hans Rey
    Naked lake jumping
    Beer tent / fancy dress disco
    Baking hot
    Offroad bunny hops
    The bomb hole
    Tim Gould
    JMC
    Steve Peat
    Dave Hemming
    Rob Warner
    list goes on…

And I was only a teenager haha

hot_fiat

Team Zebin’s third outing to the Malverns in ’95, showing off our broken stuff.

LtoR:
    Mick – broken forks
    Andy (me) – broken forks from Dual Slalom ruts
    Lister – Broken schaphoid
    Stu – Broken collar boone
    Bill – trashed wheel
    Two weeks later Lister, Bill & I would be off to Whistler. We practically gaffer taped Lister to his bike

xcstu
    Free Member

myself haha

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I went when I was 15 or 16 . I think it was 1996 ? Steve Peat was there and I remember him being on the Stellas and going round shooting a BB gun at tents. Was Shaun Palmer there too? Hmmm I remember having the fetching brown cardboard ticket stuck on my wardrobe for a few years afterwards

singlespeedstu

The old lake jump – before it got ‘organised’ it was a table and a few drunks.

Waves. In my defence though I didn’t get naked. We left that to Sumo Skelding.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Happy days.

I remember trying and failing to get off with Helen Mortimer.

I remember someone stole the giant STIF banner. And someone else knacked themselves climbing the outside of the beer tent and sliding down the other side.

I remember some guy we met popped his collarbone in the bomb hole and we had to drive him to hospital. He had RC35 forks on his bike. Which were ace.

I remember the queue for Jo Burt drawing people a little Mint Sauce.

I remember helmet peaks being a new “thing” and MBR magazine were giving free stick-on ones away.

locomotive

Love those pics! (thanks for posting)… looks like the scorching weather and dust was genuine, not just a fabrication within my memory.

I vividly remember seeing someone come out the bombhole and when braking for next corner their steerer snapped at the crown race. Cue faceplant and (I guess) broken/dislocated jaw, the sight of which still haunts me slightly 25 years on. Whoever you were I hope you didn’t have any serious lasting damage!

xcstu
    Free Member

Loco Motive

I vividly remember seeing someone come out the bombhole and when braking for next corner their steerer snapped at the crown race. Cue faceplant and (I guess) broken/dislocated jaw, the sight of which still haunts me slightly 25 years on. Whoever you were I hope you didn’t have any serious lasting damage!

Remember seeing that too!! sure he tried to get on his bike again with blood rushing down his face to see his forks were clean off??

stevied
    Free Member

Used to ride over the hills to Eastnor from home at the bottoms the hills.
    Confused the hell out of the Raleigh team when I turned up to race on my team issue DynaTech pro in full team kit (the shop I worked in over the summer was a main Raleigh dealer and they managed to get me the bike).
    It was an awesome event..

xcstu
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cthQ0pAGV8s[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcaPyvw_FTk[/video]

siwhite
    Free Member

Had two or three great years at the Malverns.
    Lots of drinking – Hooch was the thing, if I remember?
    Managed to sneak into the Dirt Jumping competition somehow, and didn’t come last. I have a great pic somewhere of a whopping nack-nack that looked great, but I didn’t manage to land. I did pull a no-hander-lander though.
    Thought I was very progressive as I had a 24″ rear wheel made up and ran a 3″ Nokian Gazaloddi tyre on it, on my old Orange Mr O.
    One of the funniest moments of my life was when Rob Warner let a firework off around our bonfire – a lass we’d been chatting to was so shocked by the noise that she jumped and hit her head on a towbar (we were sitting on the grass…) and knocked herself clean out.
    I tried to pinch a banner, got caught by security and was slung out on the spot. Managed to creep back in through the same gate an hour later.
    Who remembers that large wooden bridge over the road that created a huge tabletop? That was one of the floatiest jumps I’ve ever ridden…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Malvern Classic’ is closed to new replies.