Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Madeleine McCann who pays ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Who is paying for all the investigation work ?

It is of course worth every penny it costs (just in case anyone accuses me of saying its not!) but how is it determined what gets spent on each case ?

Surely other families who have suffered this awful nightmare must be thinking this amount hasn’t been spent on our case…

play nice…

TuckerUK
    Free Member

We are. They obviously have powerful friends. How else does one explain the fact that two health care professionals who leave three very young children (which, as any health care professional should know, are in a high risk category) unsupervised in unfamiliar surroundings, are still allowed to practice in health care? Would YOU trust either of their judgement’s? 😯

bigyinn
    Free Member

Oooh, I can’t see this thread lasting too long….

jekkyl

Surely other families who have suffered this awful nightmare must be thinking this amount hasn’t been spent on our case…

how do you know what has or hasn’t been spent on other cases?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

how do you know what has or hasn’t been spent on other cases?

I don’t and nor do you ! But I’m guessing its far more than any other case recently…but as you say none of us really know whats been spent…

bruneep
    wobbliscott
    Free Member

Actually, its only recently that Scotland Yard has picked this up and up until then they were funding the private investigations themselves. I think kids are at risk in many places these days. What about that poor girl in Wales taken from right outside her own house when playing out with friends? What about Jamie Bulger snatched literally from under his mums nose? We’re their parents negligent? I let my kids play out in front of our house so in theory am running the a similar risk – am I supposed to lock them up indoors 24/7? I’ve been in a hotel before at a friends wedding and left my daughter in the room with a baby monitor while we were out of the room. It was before the Madeline case so not sure i’d do it again, but we didn’t think anything of it at the time. I’m sure there is not a day goes by that they don’t kick themselves about it and regret their actions. I wonder if people would have been as critical and unsympathetic if they were some poor people off a council estate holidaying at Butlins and not wealthy doctors holidaying at a luxury apartment complex?

MSP

I wonder if people would have been as critical and unsympathetic if they were some poor people off a council estate holidaying at Butlins and not wealthy doctors holidaying at a luxury apartment complex?

I winder if it would have got more than a passing mention on the news if it hadn’t been a middle class blond haired blue eyed girl who was the victim.

konabunny
    Free Member

Quite

scotroutes

+1

I’m still amazed they weren’t charged with child neglect. Regardless of who killed/abducted their daughter, they are firmly to blame.

iolo
    Free Member

http://www.missingkids.co.uk/

These parents have lost kids too.
    Through no fault of their own.
    And they’re not highly paid doctors with friends in high places.
    Very sad.

camo16
    Free Member

We’re ramping up to FULL-ON OUTRAGE then?

Who are you blaming for the cost of the investigation?

Them? That seems harsh.

Scotland Yard – for funding a search for a missing child?

Hard working families?

Who?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Some pretty poor stuff allready

Regardless of who killed/abducted their daughter, they are firmly to blame.

Is this true for all victims of crime?
    Perhaps i should just punch you in the face for that comment and then blame you?

Of all the subjects to troll on – keep it for MLEH eh?
    I would imagine lots of parents have done something similar – clearly it is ill advised but blaming them rather than the perpetrator is pretty crass – they clearly have some responsibility but they are not to blame

Peyote
    Free Member

The people to blame haven’t been found. It’s human nature to want to focus the blame on someone/thing even if it isn’t rationally correct.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Maybe we should stop this thread.
    Nothing positive will come from it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I see we’ve had the chippy class comments already. Good start, folks…

FFS.

bencooper
    Free Member

I think kids are at risk in many places these days.

Yes, and very few of those risks are from a random stranger snatching them – kids are at risk from motor vehicles, obesity, and sadly quite often their own parents.

These cases get so much attention precisely because they’re so rare.

Peyote
    Free Member

This, my Missus gets quite upset when I say that statistically her and the kids are more at risk from me than any “stranger danger” out on the streets. But it’s true.

bencooper
    Free Member

I forget the name of the psychological effect, but it’s to do with risk perception. It’s related to the way that 75%* of car drivers say they’re better than average.

We are good parents, so even though statistically kids are most at risk of being abused by a family member, we know we won’t abuse our kids – so we worry about strangers instead.

*can’t remember the number, but it is significantly greater than 50%.

MSP

Not that rare, according to this.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/oct/04/child-abduction-statistics-england-wales

Certainly not just the 1 case that would appear to be from the coverage this case generates.

benji
    Free Member

According to radio5 this morning it’s the home office, put in place by david cameron.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Are the McCanns still represented by Max Clifford?? ❓

Hmmmm.. he has questions to answer himself it seems… 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

Would YOU trust either of their judgement’s?

Yes.

Do you have any other really difficult questions ?

I’m on a roll. That one felt easy !

GrahamS

What wobbliscott said.

I’ve left my daughter alone in a hotel room before. And will do again.

Even at home she sleeps on her own, in her own room, and I don’t even put a u-lock on her. 🙂

Such things used to be common practise before the Great Paedo Threat.

If folk think that qualifies as “child neglect” then they seriously need to open their eyes a bit!

michaelbowden

What wobbliscott said.

I’ve left my daughter alone in a hotel room before. And will do again.

I might be rembering incorrectly, but were’t they quite some distance from the apartment complex in a totally seperate resturant. No possiablity for a child monitor or hotel reception monitoring. Also wasn’t there some suspicion that some sort of sedative had been give to all of the children?

If I’ve remembered wrong or believed tabloid gossip please excuse me but it’s not quite the same thing as having a meal in the hotel resturant/bar with a baby monitor. Which I too have done.

GrahamS

were’t they quite some distance from the apartment complex in a totally seperate resturant

According to Wikipedia they were about 50 metres away and they checked on the kids regularly.
    – so not really that much different to hotel room to lobby, or child’s bedroom to BBQ in the garden.

wasn’t there some suspicion that some sort of sedative had been give to all of the children?

There were “suspicions” about all kinds of things (some of which are still causing people to be sued for damages). Wiki says forensic tests found no evidence of sedatives in the twins.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The only person to blame for her disappearance is the person or persons who abducted her. Whether you’re happy to leave your kids alone in a room and how far away you’re happy to be is entirely your choice. Should you be the highly statistically unlikely parent who has a child abducted by a stranger, the fact that you weren’t in the room when it happened will be punishment enough for you for the rest of your life.

Kate McCann often came across as cold and emotionless in the months subsequent to Madeleine being abducted during media interviews and this has coloured many people’s views of them as a couple.

A huge amount of money has been invested in private investigations by the family and this has been raised by them in whatever way they’ve managed. I assume that with their level of education and background, they’ve possibly had more resources to call on to enable them to raise this money. I assume polis are obliged to look into the no doubt tomes of information that has been passed to them from investigators.

Saying they are “firmly to blame” is plain and simply wrong. I notice druidh hasn’t hung around to defend the statement so I can only assume he’s trolling, and in pretty poor taste.

surfer
    Free Member

+1 the above 2 posters (and JY)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Might as well condemn any parent who has been on a Mark Warner holiday. What the McCanns did is standard practice and the fact that MW staff patrol the corridors and the grounds during dinner is a reason why parents with young kids chose their holidays. I am as guilty and irresponsible as they are but, thank god, a lot more fortunate.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Might as well condemn any parent who has been on a Mark Warner holiday

thm, that goes without saying anyway. 🙂

/chipper

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

/sidetrack/ Oy, get back in the pool DD or have you done your tri? (just sneaked in a 2.5m session over lunch) /sidetrack/

geetee1972
    Free Member

It’s got nothing to do with the risk of abduction but I wouldn’t ever do what they have done.

It’s bad enough if I am in the garage attached to our house and our eldest wakes up because of a nightmare and maybe it takes me a few minutes to hear him screaming.

I won’t judge the McCanns. They don’t need anyone to stand in judgement on them. They have after all lost their daughter and that’s hell enough without anyone passing comment.

Scotland Yard have ‘substantive new information’ which is why they are picking this up again. W

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I agree with DD.

😯

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😡

DezB
    Free Member

I’ll pay!

Northwind

I remember when madeleine mccann weint missing, they took down missing person posters in glasgow to put up posters of her… And I’m talking here about replacing a sign with a load of people’s faces on, with just one kid, who’d gone missing in a different country…. Because one of them was young and pretty and in the news, and the others weren’t. I’ve no idea if that was commonplace but there’s no doubt that some missing people and missing kids get looked for harder than others.

GrahamS

A blonde photogenic middle-class girl gets more coverage. Aye, it’s unfair, no doubt about that. But I don’t think we can lay that at the McCanns feet, nor blame them for doing everything they can to keep the focus on their little girl even at the expense of others.

I would. 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Class is irrelevant here.

Not sure we could describe April Jones and her family as “rich” or “middle class” etc. and yet what happened to her was equally horrific. (Oddly, somehow it affected me more than normal, given where it happened. Have had so many lovely, happy weekends in Mach. 🙁 )

nedrapier

And my brother-in-Law and his family are just up the road in Tywyn. Moved from a city centre to bring up their young children in a rural idyll.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/ugly-girl-killed,988/

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Class is irrelevant here.

Morally class is completely irrelevant. In terms of publicity and getting the media, officialdom, etc, to champion your cause, it’s hugely relevant.

I have no doubt that if the McCanns had issues in other areas of society, eg, healthcare disputes or legal disputes, they would have big advantages over less educated people lower down the social classes.

BTW I find the constant and baseless vilification of the McCanns quite disgusting.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Madeleine McCann who pays ?’ is closed to new replies.