Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)
  • Made me ashamed to live where I do
  • RustySpanner

slowoldman – Member

Who’d be a fat ginger gypsy these days eh?

What are the hours?

zippykona

Back in the 80s if you rode a motorbike you were a baby killing hellos angel.
    You couldn’t go in most pubs or restaurants. So toy runs were organised and a major PR push to let everyone know we were nice people.
    Travellers should really take that advice on board rather than trashing everything within a mile of where they camp.

atlaz
    Free Member

I know the site they are trying to expand and it’s a shit hole. Plenty of police raids there to recover stolen goods. Nice bunch of people there that are just misunderstood.

So are they actually nicking stuff and the police are getting it back or are the police just assuming that they’re on the rob?

Locked a fair few up for ripping old people off for building jobs

My grandfather got taken by a load of them before he died. Luckily my old man was called by the bank after they came back for a second load of cash so he was able to deal with it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s a good job nobody is ever ripped off by cowboy builders/groundworkers/lanscapers etc that aren’t travellers. It gives a good indication of who to employ to do work around your house.

binners

it was racist stigmatisation and ignorance that would almost certainly not be tolerated against any other group, but is okay when aimed at Gypsies and Travellers.

If any other group sets up shop near my house, like the Pikeys did last year, then proceeded to not only treat the place like dump, but an open sewer too, curling off steaming Jobbies on the surrounding footpaths, I’ll let you know my feelings about them. I’d hazard a guess, they’d be less than positive though.

People don’t object to them because of some small-minded, bigoted, ignorant prejudice, they object to them because of their own experiences of them acting like a bunch of ****s!!! 🙄

edlong
    Free Member

easygirl – Member

I have had hundreds of exchanges with gypsies, all of them negative
    Never had the truth out of them
    Locked a fair few up for ripping old people off for building jobs
    In my opinion they are a waste of space

I might be wrong, but iirc you’re a police officer? If so, isn’t that a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy – of course the ones you encounter professionally are crooks – that’s the nature of your job? You don’t have to deal with the law abiding ones, because they’re, er, law-abiding.

If any other group sets up shop near my house, like the Pikeys did last year, then proceeded to not only treat the place like dump, but an open sewer too, curling off steaming Jobbies on the surrounding footpaths, I’ll let you know my feelings about them. I’d hazard a guess, they’d be less than positive though.

People don’t object to them because of some bigoted ignorant prejudice, they object to them because of their own experiences of them acting like a bunch of ****s!!!

There’s a hell of a difference between objecting to the behaviour of some people and labelling a whole ethnic group (been done on a previous thread, look up the court rulings if you want to check, they are defined as such) on the back of it. On a slightly silly level it’s akin to those nobs you get who, when they find out you ride a bike, hold you personally responsible for the fact that “all” “you lot” jump red lights, ride on pavements etc.. On a slightly less silly note, it’s also akin to those people who say that all Muslim men are out to abduct and sexually abuse white girls, because they’ve read a report about some who did.

If you really think that all Gypsies / Travellers are thieving street poo-ers because some are, then you’re either being deliberately obtuse, or are extremely ignorant.

binners

Well they did it near our house, as well as getting collared breaking in to my local, then a few months later, another group occupied the car park where I work. Where, to absolutely nobodies great surprise, they repeated the same pattern of dumping all over the place (both their undercarriages and their general detritus) and getting light fingered in all the surrounding properties

So, they’re consistent. I’ll give them that. Or maybe I was just unlucky, and the nice, tidy, well-behaved, polite and courteous travelling folk – the one who’s public-public-spiritdness we always hear so much about – were busy being kind, caring, considerate members of society somewhere else on those occasions 🙄

edlong
    Free Member

Perhaps they were, how would you know? You don’t of course, so you therefore conclude that because the ones you’re aware of, because of their anti-social / criminal activity, are antisocial / criminal, therefore they all must be.

I don’t understand how anyone can fail to see the logical fallacy in that.

hatter

The dictionary definition of prejudice is “preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.”

My personal experience of the traveler community consists of:

Trying to bribe me to look the other way whilst they stole things from the family owned shop I was working at and threatening violence when I refused.

Trying to sell me blatantly stolen goods on a garage forecourt and again, trying to intimidate me when I refused.

Attempting to steal my bike off me (Twice)

Smashing into my mum’s car whilst I was in the back and then doing a runner, car was registered under false documents, uninsured, no tax, no MOT and the driver was drunk as a lord.

Putting a 67 year old man in hospital after he went over to ask them not to park their caravans on the village cricket pitch his family had spent the past 40 years maintaining.

Threatening my friends at knifepoint at the local pub after they’d camped nearby.

+ All the usual devastation they leave whenever they stay anywhere, rubbish, human feces etc.

Baring that in mind I’m putting my wariness towards this particular social group down to experience rather than any innate bigotry.

If my experiences improve and I encounter a group of nice, tidy, law abiding travelers then I shall be more than happy to change my opinions.

grum
    Free Member

There’s some good research showing that negative experiences of people from ‘other’ groups/races etc have much more impact on you than positive ones, or of negative experiences with someone of your own race. IIRC one negative experience has as much impact as 10 positive ones. Will try and find a link later when not on my phone.

Pretty poor for a (serving?) police officer to be writing off an entire group in society as being a ‘waste of space’. There’s going to be a hefty dose of confirmation bias involved with any dealings with them if that’s your attitude.

And yes, I’ve worked with traveller kids in the past and found them ‘challenging’. Not fair to tar them all with the same brush though.

binners

Well if anyone would like to enlighten me as to anyone who’s had any positive experiences with them, I’m happy to hear them, and consider my own experience to be a freak aberration.

Thats not going to happen though, is it? Because everyones experiences with them are exactly the bloody same! They involve anti-social behaviour, criminality and violence, with wearying predictability.

Its fairly simple. You spend your life being a ****, people will draw the conclusion that you are in fact a ****! 🙄

skellnonch
    Free Member

If you really think that all Gypsies / Travellers are thieving street poo-ers because some are, then you’re either being deliberately obtuse, or are extremely ignorant

I think you need to trade in your rose tinted glasses, just some of my experience:

They stole my van, wrecked it, then shat all over the inside, it was found on one of their sites by one of the regular police raids, nobody was ever prosecuted.

They broke into our factory and stole a load of electrical cable, caught them on CCTV, again nobody prosecuted

They lifted all the lead off the roof, the police stopped one with a load of lead in the back of his van, but as the lead could not be ‘identified’ he got away with it.

Not to mention the carnage they caused on the industrial estate we were on, robbing and generally turning the place into a shit hole.

A local print company mistakenly did a job for one lot, they quickly became pikey central, they used to turn up all the time and just cause chaos, a proper nightmare.

My father never had any love for them either, he had numerous dealings in his job as a copper

fervouredimage
    Free Member

My father in law detests them, blindly hates them all. If there is crime in his village ‘it’s the pikeys’. I cringed with embarrassment everytime he spoke about them. Despite my own personal experiences with travellers only being bad up to that point I wasn’t going to give in to small minded prejudice so would attempt to challenge his views. I had to spend the best part of a year working with him a couple of years ago which involved us working outdoors all around the east midlands and south east. As a result we encountered travellers very regularly and our experiences with them were all bad. From aggression towards us, to rubbish being thrown out their car windows, to assault, to theft of our equipment, to vandalism of our vehicles and equipment and the obligatory tails from clients regarding their woes and difficulties with near by travellers sites.

Needless to say I no longer challenge my FiL’s views on them because it’s very hard to defend the indefensible. The best I have is ” i’m sure they’re not all like that”, which doesn’t really cut it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Its fairly simple. You spend your life being a ****, people will draw the conclusion that you are in fact a ****!

As well you should know binbins.

WackoAK
    Free Member

Pretty poor for a (serving?) police officer to be writing off an entire group in society as being a ‘waste of space’.

Not really, it’s well known that Police are bigoted, insular racists 😉

D0NK

don’t travellers generally not mix a lot with the rest of the population? So most of the “personal experience” people have, that they remember, are bound to be negative?

All the personal experience I have of jehovah’s witnesses are them trying to convert me to their religion, cheeky sods, I may well have had lot’s of positive/neutral experiences of them and not noticed.

but yeah 100% negative here too, just saying that that in itself only proves that the travellers I have met, that I have known to be travellers, were gits.

hora
    Free Member

So what are we outraged about, who are we outraged on behalf of or what handwringing are we doing today?

binners

mudshark
    Free Member

Is it that travellers don’t want to be part of our society? So not really possible to be a positive part of it unless they, say, clean up bad areas before living in them then move on leaving it better than when they arrived.

Would our society be a better place without them? Can we have that place? Suspect not. Though do wonder how they finance themselves.

grum
    Free Member

FWIW someone I know who has done a lot more work with travellers than me reckoned there was quite a distinction between the Romany travellers and the Irish, although there is some mixing between the two. Basically that the Romany travellers were generally alright and the Irish travellers were generally shocking scallies. Not sure how true that is and it’s obviously another massive generalisation.

Anyone seen Knuckle btw? Fascinating documentary.

binners

Would our society be a better place without them? Can we have that place? Suspect not. Though do wonder how they finance themselves.

Theft and fraud mainly, it would appear

skellnonch
    Free Member

unless they, say, clean up bad areas before living in them then move on leaving it better than when they arrived.

Nice – like a kind of traveller superhero?

“Pikeyman” – Fighting litter and grime for a better world and not nicking anything – honest

fervouredimage
    Free Member

FWIW someone I know who has done a lot more work with travellers than me reckoned there was quite a distinction between the Romany travellers and the Irish, although there is some mixing between the two. Basically that the Tomany travellers were generally alright and the Irish travellers were generally shocking scallies. Not sure how true that is an is obviously another massive generalisation.

Anyone seen Knuckle btw? Fascinating documentary.

Yes, sorry Grum, I should have drew that distinction in my post. My experiences were with Irish Travellers of which there are many of their sites in the areas we were working. I can’t say I’ve had any experience with Romany Travellers, not that I was aware anyway.

slowoldman

Meanwhile they’ve booked in early for the Anglesey Show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-28689022

yunki
    Free Member

I like travellers, but then I also like gorgers…. but which is better?

Only one way to find out

FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!

D0NK

Basically that the Tomany travellers were generally alright and the Irish travellers were generally shocking scallies.

so next time a worried STWer sees caravans approaching he needs to nip out and demand to know “are you irish or romanish?”

No irish <travellers>
    no blacks
    no dogs

mudshark
    Free Member

“Pikeyman” – Fighting litter and grime for a better world and not nicking anything – honest

Thinking about it…we might actually be happyish to give them places to stay for a while if they did that. Must be hard to find somewhere where you’re not hated. A few seem to have camped themselves on a rather nice bit of countryside south of Combe Gibbet near Newbury. Not sure they’re adding much to the visual appeal of the area.

grum
    Free Member

BTW if you want some proper gypsy hate try going to Eastern Europe. In Romania even quite liberal people basically thought they should all die. We literally met one person who thought it would be a good thing to have better relations with the gypsies.

I suspect part of the problem is a bit of a chicken and egg thing – they know how much wider society hates them and so don’t give a shit what wider society thinks. If they did behave themselves would they still get blamed for stuff? Quite probably.

gobuchul
    Free Member

BTW if you want some proper gypsyminority hate try going to Eastern Europe

FTFY

The far right is still very strong in Eastern Europe. They hate everyone.

Cougar

You don’t of course, so you therefore conclude that because the ones you’re aware of, because of their anti-social / criminal activity, are antisocial / criminal, therefore they all must be.

I don’t understand how anyone can fail to see the logical fallacy in that.

You’re concluding that because Binners is talking about the groups of travellers he’s had experience of, he’s implying the same is true of all of them.

I really don’t get this train of thought. It’s seemingly impossible to talk negatively about a subset of a demographic without folk immediately assuming you’re making rash generalisations about all of that demographic and then branding you a racist or worse. So, what, we can’t discuss it? Why do travellers get special privilege here?

My own personal experience of them is very limited but wholly negative. But I’m not stupid enough to think that my minimal experience is representative of all of them, any more than I’d think that all Polish people are bastards because one spilled my pint once. It may well be that the country is covered with lovely ‘leave no trace’ travellers who no-one ever notices because they, well, leave no trace. If you drive past twenty motorcyclists on your way home and one of them is in full race leathers wheelie-ing down the street at 80, which one do you remember?

But the groups Binners et al are talking about, are scumbags. They may or may not “all be like that” but that’s not really the point being made is it? TBH I’m quite baffled how it’s all right for a group of people to turn up, trash the place and sod off again, but it’s not all right to call them names. Do me a quaver.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

labelling a whole ethnic group

living in a caravan and shitting in the bushes makes you an ethnic group?

ekul
    Free Member

A farmer near me had a small group set up in one of his fields, when he asked them if they wouldn’t mind moving he was basically laughed out of the field. To get rid of them he put a Bull in with them and a boulder in front of the gate so they couldn’t get out. They couldn’t even leave their vans without this bull charging at them. They asked him to move the boulder so they could leave in less than a week :D.

On the flipside of that the girlfriend has met Paddy Doherty (he of Gypsy Wedding fame) a few times and he’s always been happy to talk to her and generally came across as a reasonably nice guy. Her dad said the same as he worked in Salford about 100yds from their ‘camp’. Although he also said the sons were right a**eholes.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve lived with ’em, worked with ’em.. went to primary and secondary school with ’em.. I have a few on my FB friends list and a couple of ’em that I go for a pint with occasionally..
    I don’t think I’ve ever lived more than 10 miles away from an established council site

My experience has been wholly positive

Maybe we’re just lucky down here?

gobuchul
    Free Member

I’ve lived with ’em, worked with ’em.

Yunki – What do you do? Tarmac drives or collect scrap metal?

grum
    Free Member

Cougar. binners quite clearly is making generalisations about travellers as a whole, not just the ones he has met. 😕

You can say ‘I have a negative impression of all the travellers I’ve met’ and no-one will call you a bigot (though you should quite probably read up on confirmation bias etc). But say ‘travellers are scum’ and you are going to get called a bigot. Simple really.

yunki
    Free Member

Yunki – What do you do? Tarmac drives or collect scrap metal?

When I was working for the travellers we were primarily concerned with tarmac and applying it to driveways yes..
    It was a good craic, shit pay though

edlong
    Free Member

Well if anyone would like to enlighten me as to anyone who’s had any positive experiences with them, I’m happy to hear them, and consider my own experience to be a freak aberration.

Thats not going to happen though, is it? Because everyones experiences with them are exactly the bloody same! They involve anti-social behaviour, criminality and violence, with wearying predictability.

The ones I ride my bike past regularly on a little (official, approved, legal) site on the corner of a local industrial estate always return my cheery ‘good morning’, have clean caravans, clean looking kids playing outside, no sign of poo, burnt out vehicles or stripped cable insulation, have never tried to rob me, stab me, or sell me anything. It’s almost as if they’re normal people.

Many years ago, I worked in about the only east end (London) boozer that didn’t ban any Irish-accented punters who seemed to arrive in large family groupings. Most of them were really nice people, a few of them were absolute idiots who conformed to the stereotypes. We took the novel step of banning the nobheads, rather than banning the lot of “them”. The ones who weren’t barred appreciated it and never caused the slightest problem. It was almost as if they were normal people.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Cougar. binners quite clearly is making generalisations about travellers as a whole, not just the ones he has met.

Seems pretty reasonable to me……..after all, everybody else is confirming his generalisations! I’d just like to know what world joolsburger lives in?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cougar. binners quite clearly is making generalisations about travellers as a whole

+1 indeed.

Furthermore, travellers don’t get special treatment on STW. In fact, as this thread and plenty others previously, travellers are the one group (outisde heterosexual, white middle class, smoking males) about whom people can say whatever they want with relative impunity for many pages.

grum
    Free Member

Seems pretty reasonable to me……..after all, everybody else is confirming his generalisations! I’d just like to know what world joolsburger lives in?

Apart from yunki and edlong. So not everyone.

I’ll admit to being wary of travellers, based on my experience and that of others. That’s a bit different from deciding they are all thieving scumbags.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Made me ashamed to live where I do’ is closed to new replies.