Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Macmillan Sober in October – bloody social media!
  • rascal
    Free Member

I wanted to do this so just signed up.
    I’d pre-warned my work colleagues I’d be waving a sponsorship form under their noses, but it’s all online.
    Call me a luddite by I like raising money the old-school way and don’t really do all this updating online bollocks – but now I’ve committed to it, looks like I’ll have to 😕
    Oh well – it’s the best cause and the only one I’ll do it for given that my mum passed away from this hideous disease 5 months ago. I suppose I’ll have time to update it as I won’t be doing any boozing for a month 😆
    This isn’t intended to be a shameless plug (honestly) but if you do fancy donating I’ll post a link (if there’s enough interest – I won’t otherwise). Cheers all!

PS The longest I’ve EVER gone without a drink in my adult life is a whopping 6 days 😳

Drac

Ain’t doing that one not a chance.

bearnecessities
    Free Member

Nice touch there from the paramedic 😀

I’ll give my vote for posting the link, all things considered in your post.

Drac

I like a nice beer it’s my day off treat now and then. Drink very little now though maybe a few bottles a month, unless there’s something on then it’s a bit more than that.

I can go a couple weeks though without one as never drink if I have work the next day.

maccruiskeen

Nice touch there from the paramedic

Give the guy a break, he’s already signed up to do his bit for PrOctober.

Drac

😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

Print up a sponsor form, do it old skool, then donate the total yourself on line and drop the donations into your account to cover it.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Not a chance.

Good luck.

rascal
    Free Member

Currently drinking a nice cold Pilsner Urquell.
    It will be the last drop of alcohol that passes my lips until November 1st.
    Not a massive deal I know but 6 days is the best I’ve managed for about 25 years 😆

stanfree
    Free Member

Yup I’m doing It too but not doing the fundraising bit , I’m really just doing It as my wife has promised not to drink her nightly 2 ltr’s of Diet Coke If I stop drinking for a month. I also have a cyclocross event on Halloween and looking to drop about a half stone for It.
    Currently drinking a Merlot and a couple of Birra Moretti’s before the drought.

igm

For the complete set follow it with…

The Bender* All November

*best rhyme between a month and a drunk word I could think of. Do better.

iolo
    Free Member

I’ve not had a drop for 4.5 years due to shitty medication.
    Can’t say I miss it now – says a man who loved a good bevvy.

MrOvershoot

Well I’ve got 20 minutes to finish this glass of Bowmore cask strength 🙂

jimster01

I’m gonna give it a go,just to shed some weight and reinflate the bank balance a tad.

Can’t see me getting past Friday personally.

passtherizla
    Free Member

EASY. I have probably drank 10 pints this year. I look better. feel better and have more money. drinking is shit.

ransos
    Free Member

EASY. I have probably drank 10 pints this year. I look better. feel better and have more money. drinking is shit.

Speak for yourself – I’m with Winston:

“I have taken more good from alcohol than alcohol has taken from me.”

Cougar

I’ve given up on these after posting pictures for Movember and no-one else doing it for Fanuary.

bikebouy
    Free Member

BOL, I’m out too.

Let us know how you get on.. 😀

slowoldman

I shall be trowing some money in a Macmillan’s bucket AND getting pissed.

johni
    Free Member

I preferred eating cakes for Macmillan on last week’s coffee morning. I’m much better at that! 🙂 I don’t really see not drinking for a month as a big challenge to be honest. It does at least get a lot of people doing it and good publicity for the charity though.

wrecker
    Free Member

I did it recently (not for charity) just out of curiosity. It wasn’t (and shouldn’t have been) difficult. I didn’t notice much difference in how I felt.
    It has changed my attitude to alcohol though, I now regularly pick up a pack of becks blue instead of the alcoholic version. I did’t drink to get drunk and I think the break made me realise that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I once did about 8 months on a whim, wasn’t hard. Like growing a beard it becomes a challenge not to ruin it by caving in and just having one beer/shave.

Coencided with moving in the the missus so it was the end of my ‘go out on saturday night and get very drunk phase’.

toby1

I’ve just come back from a weekend in Champagne – there’s no way I’m not drinking some of the items that returned with me this weekend.

I could do a month without booze, I just choose not to!

I’d say good luck to those involved, but it doesn’t require luck more just some willpower – in the meantime “Support your local pub!”

rascal
    Free Member

Only day one but I’m coping 😉

For those that do want to chip in, it would be much appreciated…
    https://www.gosober.org.uk/profile/waynerees

Cheers folks!

northernmatt

I’m going to do Novembeer. It’s like November but I drink beer. So a normal month really.

Northwind

I’ve already signed up for Shitefaced December.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’m in for sober October.

Won’t miss that “vague” feeling in the morning, after just a few cheeky ones I can tell you.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Macmillan Sober in October – bloody social media!’ is closed to new replies.