Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mac users… A Genuine Question…
  • mboy
    Free Member

Been running my MacBookPro on Leopard since about 6 months after it came out (I stayed on Tiger for a while to let others go through all the teething problems), and was wondering if now that Snow Leopard has been out a while and I've not heard of any issues for a while, is it now worth my while upgrading?

What would I gain from Snow Leopard?

Does it have any significant improvements in the way that Leopard did over Tiger?

My machine is a Jan 2007 2.16GHz Core2Duo machine with the RAM maxed out at 3GB, and an upgraded 320Gig HD. Have noticed the machine doesn't seem as fast or as stable as it used to be recently, wondered if any of that was to do with the OS not being the latest? Or do I just need to systematically clean out all the crap?

Oh, and roughly what would a 3 1/2 year old MacBookPro in reasonable condition be worth? Been toying with the idea of selling it and replacing it with a new Mac Mini and a netbook for browsing in front of the TV.

And to all the Mac haters that will always insist on chiming in on any Mac related post, I have a PC tower too, and use it regularly. So take your inane posts elsewhere! 😉

tomzo
    Free Member

everything is faster. is it £29 to upgrade? probably worth it if you have the cash.

mrmo
    Free Member

snow leopard has the old ppc code removed so only works on Intel machines, this means that you do free a little hard-drive space.

The stability could just be pref files getting corrupted or flash, which always seems a little flaky.

As for value have a look on ebay, the prices are usually not to bad certainly a lot more than an equivalent wintel machine.

glenh
    Free Member

I have leopard on my Mac book pro and snow leopard on my iMac.

I've not noticed any differences to be honest!

iamsporticus
    Free Member

I went from regular to snow leopard on a Macbook with bugger all HD space left which resulted in freeing up 20 Gigs

Well worth it for 15 quid – it was on special at the time

Otherwise no noticeable difference for me

CaptJon
    Free Member

Isn't the extra disc space to do with the way SL calculates it, rather than a real difference?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

not massive improvements but that's reflected in the cheap price. No reason not to as it does seem a snidge faster.

mboy
    Free Member

Cheers so far guys

Found it for a little over £20 online, so think I might just buy it. Doubt I'll get the quite so massive savings in HD space though, as I've been running a piece of software called "Xslimmer" for a little while now, which basically deletes all the code in your software that you don't need (ie. on my Intel Mac, it deletes all the PowerPC code).

grumm
    Free Member

Not much advantage in terms of features but things seem quicker and smoother since installing it.

spacemonkey

I can't say I like the look and feel of Tiger, especially when compared with SL. However, I'm yet to be a Mac convert full stop. Recently picked up an 18 month old 4Gb MBP with SL and it's proper quick and very slick, so you should be pretty okay if you upgrade.

PS Mac hotkeys are a **** nightmare when you're used to Windows.

CountZero

SL is supposed to free up a lot of disc space due to legacy code being stripped out. I've heard that 2Gb as a conservative amount.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mac users… A Genuine Question…’ is closed to new replies.