Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Mac OSx Lion …
  • mightymarmite
    Free Member

Just a heads up for anyone installing the new update. Lion won’t support Microsoft office 2008 or any earlier versions, and same goes for the entire Adobe Creative suite CS2 and previous.

So factor them into the equation if you are going down the upgrade path.

That will teach you to one a Mac blah … blah …blah.

There, I’ve done it for you so you won’t need to bother.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

to one a Mac

I just can’t keep up with internet verbalising these days… 🙂

kimbers

yep the planned upgrade at my work has been delayed while they figure out how we are gonna afford it all

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Thanks for the Headsup

I’ll stick to snowleopard

xcgb
    Free Member

If you are still running CS2 and office 2008 why do you need lion?

clubber
    Free Member

I’ll stick to W7

That’ll stick it to Steve! 😉

retro83
    Free Member

mightymarmite – Member

Just a heads up for anyone installing the new update. Lion won’t support Microsoft office 2008 or any earlier versions, and same goes for the entire Adobe Creative suite CS2 and previous.

So factor them into the equation if you are going down the upgrade path.

That will teach you to one a Mac blah … blah …blah.

There, I’ve done it for you so you won’t need to bother.

Hmm, already had 2008 installed – haven’t checked it still works. From what I gather the apps themselves are fully x86 but the installer stupidly used Rosetta. Will have to test that when I get home.

xcgb – Member

If you are still running CS2 and office 2008 why do you need lion?

Oh right, thanks; I didn’t realise that running a 3 year old piece of software meant that I wasn’t allowed to upgrade the OS.

footflaps

You can run office 2000 on Windows 7 – that’s 10 years backwards compatibility for you!

I still run Office 2003 on XP at work as I can’t be bothered to upgrade….

retro83
    Free Member

I wonder if I can run the uninstaller now that I have Lion installed.

carbon337
    Free Member

oh no – so no o2008 with lion? Is that true and documented?

Jamie
    Free Member

My understanding is it’s just the installer. So if you already have Office 2008 installed and install Lion over Snow Leopard, as most will, you are fine. Uninstalling can be done manually as you used to have to do.

I imagine MS might come up with a fix at some point.

Rio

My understanding is it’s just the installer.

Damn – was hoping you’d just found me a reason for not upgrading. Now my only problem is that I’m still on Leopard. 🙁

vinnyeh

My understanding is it’s just the installer.

That was mine as well. It (well, Word and Excel) still seems to work fine, although I’m getting beach balls now, which I didn’t previously. There are a few comments about problems with Office in the usual forums though, mainly loss of formatting/crashes when saving.

carbon337
    Free Member

Ah just the rosetta installer. Thats not so bad but will wait till mid August before the upgrade I think.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Surprised they released it, the beta was still buggy…

Jamie
    Free Member

So far the only bug I found is my caps lock key no longer lights up when selected and safari seems a bit sluggish sometimes.

…oh and getting used to ‘natural’ scrolling is taking a bit of mental readjustment.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Word 2008 is working for me. I found something which said the installer for Office 08 wouldn’t work because it was designed for PPC machines, but i already had it installed.

kiwijohn

…oh and getting used to ‘natural’ scrolling is taking a bit of mental readjustment.

I unticked that box straight away.

_tom_
    Free Member

Not sure how many here will use it but Pro Tools doesn’t work on Lion, my mate just “upgraded” and now has to boot into Windows to do anything music related 😆

vinnyeh

Surprised they released it, the beta was still buggy…

I be you don’t work in software development then…

vimto
    Free Member

this website has lion and application compatibility .. don’t know how accurate it is esp as it lists time machine as having some issues……. but may be worth a check if you’re thinking of installing lion

Jamie
    Free Member

Not sure how many here will use it but Pro Tools doesn’t work on Lion, my mate just “upgraded” and now has to boot into Windows to do anything music related

Well, that reflects more on your mate than on Lion. Who doesn’t check compatibility on the main software they use, before upgrading an OS?

_tom_
    Free Member

Sort of but it’s still a bit shit that it’s not backwards compatible with such a widely used piece of software (although admittedly probably not with a lot of home users).

Jamie
    Free Member

Widely?

Anyway, lets not forget the fact that Avid would have had a dev build of Lion for quite a while now, in order to get a compatible upgrade ready…..and that is on top of the amount of time that OSX has moved off the PPC platform.

Some devs just don’t care enough about their Mac customers. Which if they are only a small percentage of their customer base, is understandable.

TiRed

As the owner of a G4 Imac, I shall get back to my Windows 7 PC and continue to curse Jobs… Apple, compatibility? It wouldn’t even recognize my iPod Photo years ago…

meesterbond

Just had an email from Sonos to tell me that it’s not yet compatible with OSX 10.7 so I guess I’ll be waiting until it is before upgrading…

zokes
    Free Member

And with the new MacBook Air, I was thinking about finally buying my first Mac. Now I’ve seen this thread, I’m even less sure….

Jamie
    Free Member

I wouldn’t put off buying a MBA just because a few companies have not updated their software. Don’t forget, Lion only came out yesterday, so most updates are still being tested before release.

Not a Apple fanboy, just a heavy user of their equipment, so any questions just ask.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

vinnyeh, no not in software! I was beta testing it along with many others. There were numerous ‘improvements’ which we suggested but got ignored! (of course we value your opinion,as long as it matches ours) Oh, i’m not digging the ‘denim’ look either!

retro83
    Free Member

zokes – Member

And with the new MacBook Air, I was thinking about finally buying my first Mac. Now I’ve seen this thread, I’m even less sure….

Fair enough, but if that’s putting you off what is your alternative? Windows? 🙂 Linux? 😆 Compatibility problems much worse on those than OSX.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I’m loving the multitouch gestures – going through your Safari history is great.

Jamie
    Free Member

As I said on another Lion thread, so glad I took a chance on the Magic Trackpad instead of the Magic Mouse. It was really good with BTT, now a lot of stuff is native, it’s like being in minority report 😉

phiiiiil

I’m not really bothered about Lion, but the new mac mini has me really rather excited. It’s tiny! And this one is getting on a bit…

<backs away from the computer>

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Day complete, and only other issue come across is Virusbarrier X6 needs to be updated, and Spideroak refuses to automatically launch on startup.

Very impressed with improvements, gestures very handy, and “mission control” proving usefull. As above the history scroll in Safari is brilliant !

On a Macbook Pro with SSD sleep and restart is instantaneous as well (previously 10’ish seconds) and everything else feels generally “snappier”

zokes
    Free Member

Fair enough, but if that’s putting you off what is your alternative? Windows? Linux? Compatibility problems much worse on those than OSX.

Well, I use all sorts of weird and wonderful software of varying vintages, and only one stats package has refused on vista x64, but it works fine in W7 x86. None of them needed updates from their manufacturers before they worked on the newer OS. Apart from the obvious huge leaps from win 9x to NT-based OS, or between 32 and 64 bit computing, I can’t really think of much that hasn’t just natively worked in Windows.

As people have said in the past, it’s no wonder Apple make a reasonably stable OS, they don’t have to try to support the plethora of hardware permutations that MS has to. It just haddn’t occurred to me that they were too lazy to even make older software work on it.

I guess it’s these sad fanboi comments that put me off a Mac the most. It’s just an IBM-compatible PC with a quirky OS – get over it!

Anyway, I’ll still look at an MBA in the shops this weekend with serious intent towards buying. From internet research, it seems it’s actually the best specced ultra-light laptop at that price – this is the only reason I’m interested.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I also unchecked the ‘natural’ option; but then after I’d been playing with mission control for a while I happened to go back to a web page and found myself scrolling ‘naturally’ and going the wrong way up and down. I’ve now re-checked the ‘natural’ scrolling option and the whole set-up is, indeed, much more natural.

epicyclo

I have a number of sites turning up with completely blank pages – something to do with having Flash turned off?

Got caught out by AppleWorks no longer working – don’t use it anymore, but I do have some files in there I should have converted to PDFs first.

_tom_
    Free Member

🙂

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Just installed and not really impressed.

No multitouch trackpad so gestures aren’t relevant.

Launchpad, isn’t this just desktop icons?

Mission control = expose?

Full screen apps, not really bothered.

And a bunch of cosmetic changes.

Sucked in, only myself to blame, at least it was cheap. 😀

stevious

I haven’t even downloaded it and it’s already the best OS I’ve ever used. PRAISE BE.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Mac OSx Lion …’ is closed to new replies.