Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Mabie a jump? Opinions please!
  • simonralli2
    Free Member

Had a cracking ride up at Mabie this morning.

IMG_0011 by simon ralli, on Flickr

I then went to the jump park for the first time, to gnar all over the tabletops and things. I did try and take some photos but couldn't time the jumps on the self timer at all so I took a video.

What do you think? Did I get any microseconds worth of phat air? There is slo mo after the jump to help decide!

Comments? 😀

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonralli/4926550444/

It wasn't my best jump as I ended up taking off in the gap between the stones, hence me going "ooph!" on landing 😮

There are diversions too before descender bender, but that takes you on some lovely splooshy singletrack which I have not ridden before and was excellent.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

sorry Simon, that was a drop not a jump! you have to go upwards for a jump. you did get air under both wheels though 😀

RealMan
    Free Member

Was the bike ok after you rode it off that kerb?

simonralli2
    Free Member

You have to go upwards for a jump

Blimey talk about splitting hairs. I've never been off anything that big before and it was on the red loop not the blue loop! 😯

toons
    Free Member

If you've not done anything like that before, well done you.

The diversions, is that this section?

simonralli2
    Free Member

No, that video is from the new bit up at the ridge. Towards the very end, that chap in the video goes over the bit that I am riding in that top photo. (Except I stopped to suss it out first and didn't go quite so fast) 😳

And no, I have never done a JUMP! like that before so I thought I did well to leave the bike park in one piece and with the bike in one piece too!

thepurist

Yeah, well done on pushing your own comfort zone Simon. Speaking as someone who spent an hour pushing my bunnyhop (with flats, not SPDs) to a full 6 inches this morning, I know where you're coming from!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Well yeah, I posted this post in humour, but I am actually trying to jump!

I failed to do the two steep steps just after elevator, but then I did clear the bad step and made it up the scorpion without dabbing, so that was an achievement!

After saying that, I fail to see how I will ever do that mini slab at the jump park tho – that's got loss of teeth and over the handlebars written all over it!

hooja
    Free Member

keep going squire you'll get there eventually. Hit them harder and faster and dont worry too much about trying to jump, just float them at speed and it'll soon become second nature. Then start trying to add a touch of style when you can focus on it instead of focusing on not shittin your pants!
    try not to worry about bailing either, its gonna happen, its all part of it. Skin grows back and chicks dig scars!

richmtb

Lots of jumping opportunities on the new section at Mabie.

The bad step is probably the trickiest bit on the red route, so well done if you cleaned that. The rooty steps at the elevator are a bit off putting if you don't like roots but its nice and wide so its not too tricky as long as you commit to it.

If you want to learn to jump the Glentress essentials trail is your friend! Just go up and session the first tabletop until you regularly get air off it.

Trekster

After saying that, I fail to see how I will ever do that mini slab at the jump park tho

What night next week ❓ (xcept Mon)

Try a practice roll down from one of the big table tops, then try rolling the mini slab.

There are mini table tops the other side of the log ride,parallel with and nearer the road. Did you spot them?

timraven

yep, that's a drop not a jump but, good to push yourself beyond what's comfortable anyway.

More Gnarly than a gnar!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Forget it! I'm not going down that slab! (But yeah, we should go for a walk sometime, no jumping. 😀

davy-g
    Free Member

Hey Simon,

we all have to start somewhere even the "Biking Gods" of the forums.. I am sure the comments are posted all in good humour 😉

here is a wee vid I did dowmn at Mabie as I myself have caught the jumping bug… http://www.vimeo.com/11168563

is the September rideout @ Kirrie still at the planning stage??

timraven

Simon, didn't mean it as a dig, I think that facing your fear, or pushing what you can do, however it manifests is great. It's the progress that matters not where you start from.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Don't panic Tim, I was referring to Trekster! I wouldn't post the vid if I didn't think it had comedy value.

Thing is for me Mabie's singletrack is spot on for my skill level and I always have a blast when I ride there.

Davy-g – great vid and some top jumping. Yeah, there are some logistical issues due to me maybe being in Wales towards the end of the month – I was meant to go next week but that got cancelled. But I am emigrating to Brazil 3rd week in October, so maybe 1st week in October depending on various factors. Watch this space.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

good on you. It reminds me i must get down to Mabie as I've not been there for ages- I always enjoy it down there.

_tom_
    Free Member

Nice one 🙂 More of a drop than a jump but as someone said, so long as you're pushing your comfort zone it's all good!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Cheers Tom

Lobby – there is a new ridge section which is fast, flowing and has jumps, and the rest is as good as always 🙂

Trekster

so maybe 1st week in October depending on various factors. Watch this space.

My hand WILL be better by then 😆 I hope 🙄

tom_ – Member
    Nice one More of a drop than a jump but as someone said, so long as you're pushing your comfort zone it's all good!

He is/was 😀

forge197
    Free Member

Hope it's 2/3 October as I can do that 🙂 can't do the next two weekends after that 🙁 Come on Si nail the date 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Mabie a jump? Opinions please!’ is closed to new replies.