Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • M & S insurance renewal
  • Harry_the_Spider

Just had my buildings and contents renewal and it has gone up by a whopping 28%! If I apply for a quote on-line as a new customer will it be cheaper? If so, has anyone tried haggling/reasoning with them over the phone or will I have to cancel and re-apply?

I’ve not got my details with me today so I can’t get a like-for-like quote.

sadexpunk

yes cheaper as a new customer im afraid. when i explained this to them they even suggested for me to cancel and apply as a new customer. so i did 🙂

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Cancel it, and like you say, get a new quote as a new customer…

It’s miles cheaper..

ebygomm
    Free Member

I couldn’t do this. I had one very small claim last year, but have protected no claims which was listed on my renewal policy. If I looked for a renewal stating my claim it was more than my renewal and there’s no option to put in your no claims bonus

Cougar

Ring ’em then.

ART

You can give it a go… when this happened to me I went online and M&S – or their new underwriter – had decided I now lived in a flood risk area so wouldn’t insure me at all. When I phoned them up no amount of quoting EA flood maps and authoritative evidence that I was not in a flood risk area would change their minds. So I dropped a bit of my cover to reduce the price – and resolved to look around ahead of time for next year – in fact this is good reminder as it will be coming up in Jan. Like others I have M&S cover cause of the £4k figure for individual items which means not listing bikes etc -but have a search cause there have been other threads where people have found equivalent deals – I’ll be looking for those..!

thebunk

Cancel and get a new one – you can get £30 cashback from QuidCo as well.

akira

As an aside to this, how are people finding m&s if they have bikes stored in a shed?

DT78
    Free Member

Bikes are covered in a shed I believe, I don’t think they even require gold standard locks

I’m in the same position mines jumped from £400 to £650.

Will be calling and moaning today. Had a claim 3 years ago which means I can’t apply online.

Junkyard
    Free Member

do bikes count as a collection when i get a quote?

iDave
    Free Member

bikes in a shed are OK, they paid out on mine

Harry_the_Spider

Will be calling and moaning today. Had a claim 3 years ago which means I can’t apply online.

Tell us how you got on. We’ve had a small claim recently too.

When I did £1500+ damage to my car a couple of years ago it only went up by about £50!

ebygomm
    Free Member

My claim was about 200quid total, I paid 100 excess, insurance went up around 100quid for the year

Driller
    Free Member

As I understand it a ‘collection’ refers to something that has more value as a collection than the individual pieces. So maybe if you have a five pence piece collection, from every year from 1980 to 2010 it would be worth more than just the 5P’s added up.

Crap example, you know what I mean though right?

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes I get it and yes cr@p example 😉 like a stamp collection
    I just have an assortment then.
    Nothing in the terms either FWIW on what this means
    Reasonable value for my quote.
    Cheers for help

mrsflash
    Free Member

just got my renewal through, gone up £4 a month, will be getting a quote online to compare.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I thought the 5p example was excellent.

spooky_b329

Compare the new t&c’s as there have been a few changes such as working from home, then take out a new policy before phoning up to cancel the old one. This will ensure you don’t get caught out by flood risk or local crime starts etc.

Spud

I was told we wouldn’t get a ‘new’ policy with them now AXA underwrite M&S insurance. Our house had a subsidance claim back in the 80s and we’re not covered for it but the Coal Authority pick it up. Even so M&S will not cover so we’re kind of stuck with the policy we have.

DT78
    Free Member

ok so a 10 minute phone call has saved me £215, spoke with a lovely girl who said they would honour the online quotation (although when she calc’d it, it was £30 more than I had on my screen but I wasn’t going to argue)

renewal docs should be with me in 3-5 days.

looks like it was just an attempt at pulling a fast one charging me £250 more, which is a bit underhand, they are lucky the cover is good and the customer service is great or out of principle I might have gone else where.

Scamper
    Free Member

Just tried M&S on line for contents only and away from house – £361. Currently paying £144, but bikes are only covered up to £500 (including x/c) and the M&S security requirements are not as excessive compared to some bike specific quotes.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘M & S insurance renewal’ is closed to new replies.