Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Lycra Wearers: How tight should bib tights be?
  • GrahamS

I’m not much of a lycra wearer. I had an experimental phase with lycra shorts, as many young men do, and I wear padded undershorts but that is as far as it normally goes.

However I decided this year I’d get myself some 3/4 bib tights for my commute, thinking they’d be nice and warm in the winter and dry quickly if I got rained on.

So I went for these dhb 3/4 Roubiax ones:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-vaeon-roubaix-padded-34-bib-tight/

They seem a bit tight though. How tight are tights meant to be exactly?
    I was expecting something like “sock-tight” (i.e. close fitting but not stretched) but these feel skin-tight. I can get them on okay but the fabric is stretched tight.

My missus, more familiar with tight wearing than me, assured me that this was normal (once she stopped laughing) and according to the wiggle size chart I’m spot on for the Large which is what I got – but I know other dhb stuff is sized badly and I get the feeling these could have an extra inch width in the legs without being loose.

Worth returning and going up a size?

For your amusement:

trail_rat
    Free Member

oofft didnt need to see that in the morning

those do look a touch on the tight side….

footflaps

Hairy legs and lycra? What are you doing…..

lemonysam
    Free Member

Seem not far off what mine are like. So long as they’re not see through, no problem…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well heloooooooo sailor! :-*

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

I’ve had the same with some 3/4 tights – they were also pretty tight, especially around the legs, where they don’t seem to take into account for some of us with the bigger legs.

Seems that the uber priced brands such as Assos et al have different sizes within sizes for this very thing. I think.

>mindbleach<

GrahamS

Hairy legs and lycra? What are you doing…..

I’m hairy all over. Like a real monkey man should be.
    If I shave my legs I’ll look like I’m wearing furry boxers.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Do DHB use ‘Italian’ sizing? Don’t own any bib tights, but I have compression tights, which (obviously) are tight, but not stretched, and my bib shorts always feel tight standing, but not noticeable at all on the bike, again, tight, but not stretched. I would guess that if the lycra is stretching then I’d be going with it’s a bit small, but smaller is better than too big. Do they feel ok if you’re sat in a riding position? If so, I reckon they’re ok.

GrahamS

Seems that the uber priced brands such as Assos et al have different sizes within sizes for this very thing. I think.

Yeah these are very much at the budget end (£40) to satisfy my curiosity.

If I decide to come out of the closet during daylight hours then I’ll get some more upmarket ones.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Skin Tight or tight enough to tell if you have been circumscised

It wont last long as they will stretch anyway

teasel
    Free Member

If I shave my legs I’ll look like I’m wearing furry boxers.

Like the piccie wasn’t bad enough. I think I just did a little bit of sick in my mouth.

But seriously, I look similar albeit with a slightly larger tum that requires hiding/holding in place with a tight top. You really wouldn’t want to encounter me when out and about togged-up in riding Lycra…

fasthaggis

Thread reported to mods 😀

GrahamS

Skin Tight or tight enough to tell if you have been circumscised

Hang on, I’ll get a close up and you can tell me…

stufive
    Free Member

OMG pissing myself..they are fine by the way there meant to be tight got to say your brave posting that on here

wwaswas

your dining area is in a right state (not a euphamism).

GrahamS

your brave posting that on here

When you’re blessed with a body like mine it is only polite to share it. 😆

GrahamS

your dining area is in a right state

That’s it tidy. You should see the rest of the house!

2 year olds and fine dining do not mix well.

theblackmount
    Free Member

They are fine – DHB 3/4 are sized perfectly ime.

No point in buying Lycra and having it flap around like err shorts… is there?

Oh and don’t post up any more pics like that before the watershed 😉

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’d want the fabric to be stretched but still have some give. If it’s full stretch surely that’s too tight? Can you fit a pair of socks down the front? Can you bend over and grab your ankles? Post up another pic in this position please 🙂

GrahamS

If it’s full stretch surely that’s too tight

I wouldn’t say it’s at full stretch – but it’s certainly stretched tight.
    Other lycra I’ve worn has been considerably looser (e.g. MT500 lycra shorts)

Can you fit a pair of socks down the front?

Always do. The general scrotal area is fine – it’s mainly across the thighs and calfs that feel tight. Also I can feel the shoulder straps pulling down.

Can you bend over and grab your ankles?

Pffffttt… I’m a 37 year old desk jockey. I can’t even do that sober.

scaled
    Free Member

Have you got on the bike with them yet?

My bib shorts are bloody uncomfortable when standing up but sublime when i’m on the bike, only got one pair so nothing to compare it to!

GrahamS

Have you got on the bike with them yet?

Nah, the missus dragged me to bed as soon as she saw me in them.
    (also I didn’t want to get them dirty cos I’m thinking of returning them)

Seem okayish when sat in a bike-like position – but still tight. Also they seem to bunch a bit behind the knees but that may just be because they are cheap.

D0NK

Tight but not too tight, I think snug is the word
    Let’s face it the only reason for wearing lycra is comfort so….
    Are they comfy to ride in?
    yes keep em
    no diet bin em

bikebouy
    Free Member

They are not see through enough, there are no frilly lace bits and you are not wearing high heals.

What exactly is the point of the photo?

I want a refund.

pedalhead
    Free Member

How tight are they when you’re not sucking in your gut 😉

llama

GrahamS – bravest poster of the year!

FOG

I ought the identical tights in the same size after reading the size guide on Wiggle and yes I thought they were a bit tight. After a fe washes they loosen up a little but care needs to be execised with the crown jewels

MrAgreeable

Just avoid this particular brand, unless you want to look like the Terminator after a sex-change.

GrahamS

I ought the identical tights in the same size after reading the size guide on Wiggle and yes I thought they were a bit tight.

Think it’s worth going up a size while they are still new then FOG?

I’m concerned that the next size up (XL) says it is for a 41 inch waist which sounds massive, but if it gives me a more comfortable leg then may be a good plan.

GrahamS

Just avoid this particular brand, unless you want to look like the Terminator after a sex-change.

Is it me or does he have a bad case of cameltoe?

Diane
    Free Member

Well so far guys (As the standard of STW goes) quite sensible and disappointing. Where are all the ‘good’ and ‘bad’ fit pics? 😀 I’m ill at the mo and need cheering up

yunki
    Free Member

I prefer my bib tights to be excrutiatingly tight and painful.. I take a M/L but always buy an XXS..
    Hot chilli sauce on the chamois too.. 😳

pedalhead
    Free Member

My theory on bibs is, if you have to extract the pad from your arse hole at the end of the ride, then the shoulder straps are probably a bit tight. (I have some Assos bibs that do this. Quite unpleasant).

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

as junkyard says, lycra gets baggier with use/washing/time so “sock tight” would become baggy in no time.

Having mixed results with my first forays into roadie kit and bibs. Got some Pearl Izumi Select (cheaper range) bibs in small, seem to fit okay, straps possibly a bit tight (no experience to compare them too but they pass the Pedalhead “floss” test 😯 ) but the actual shorts bit feel perfect. So splashed out on a pair of higher end Pearl Izumi Elite bibs, again size small, and I couldnt even get them over my knees 🙄

Fair play on posting the pic, any haterz should put up or shut up 😛

MrAgreeable

“Bad case of cameltoe” is putting it mildly. It’s definitely more of a growler than a mumbler. 😯

legend
    Free Member

Just remember that this is never a good look:

brakes
    Free Member

that reminds me, I must pick up some new potatoes

piemonster

Dear god no

lemonysam
    Free Member

Whenever I see that photo the first thing I see is their mismatched helmets.

matt_outandabout

*raises an eyebrow*

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Lycra Wearers: How tight should bib tights be?’ is closed to new replies.